3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sharpening challenged  (Read 421 times)

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
sharpening challenged
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
I just bought some Terminator VPA 150's. I am a diehard 2 blade fan and I can get the 2 blades extremely sharp, but I am having trouble with these. What is the trick to getting these extremely sharp. I have gotten one sharp, but not to my standards.

BY the way the looks of these BH's is very impressive and it looks extremely durable and they fly extermely well out of my set-up, I just need some help getting them to the next level of sharpness. If someone can give me specific steps it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks from a three blade sharpening challenged person. Ben

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: sharpening challenged
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
Ben,
Some guys have their own system that works good for them, but what I have found is to start with a 600 grit diamond stone and either push or pull the broadhead on the stone 6 to 10 times on each side of the broadhead decreasing pressure until all the blades are perfectly flat. Then go to a 1200 grit diamond and pull the broadhead backwards 6 to 10 times each side going light on the pressure. Then finally use a peice of leather or construction paper on a flat surface and pull the broadhead backwards 6-10 times with light pressure and you should be able to shave hair.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »
If there aren't serated get the KME BH or knife sharpener  - you will get'em sharp

Jer Bear

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
I think the KME's are just designed for two blade heads, aren't they?
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
I have the KME and you can get 2 blades extremely sharp with it, but this is a 3 blade. Boomerang, I have been trying your style and it works well--I finally got one sharp enough to shave, but not that scary sharp type of sharp. When I get home I will run these through the leather and see if that dosent get to the next level. Maybe it is just me and I am expecting too much. Thanks.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
You might try a search.Ryan Rothaar showed how to sharpen 3 blades on a 6" grinder and someone else posted about using 6" diam. PVC pipe and attaching 3 different grits of adhesive backed wet or dry sandpaper.I believe his finest grade was 1500 grit.I'm assuming both methods give a slight hollow ground edge.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
Snuffer Tamer ...

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
Sorry miss read the post - if it is like a woodsman try this link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edE8wr5Ov-E&feature=related

Jer Bear

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Typically what happens is that a guy puts too much pressure on the broadheads... from coarse to fine grits.

This most often results in a rounded edge and therefore not "really" sharp.

From the very beginning use very light pressure and let the abrasive do the work. You can use a little more pressure once you've gotten to the stropping stage.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline rxhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Charlie, after doing what boomerang said I realized that was exactly what I was doing wrong. All I have left is to strope them on leather when I get home and I think it is a done deal. Thanks for the reply. Ben

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©