3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: So you're going elk hunting....lessons learned  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: So you're going elk hunting....lessons learned
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by LoneWolf73:

2. Shooting with pack on/off.

Great tip!!!

And practice with all your hunting gear / binos / etc. on as if you were hunting, helps work out the kinks and problem areas!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Spence

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Agree with all the pre-hunt prep.  For me, a blunt in my quiver while I'm on the actual hunt is my biggest confidence builder.  I shoot it first thing in morning then every hour or so while hunting through the day.  Helps with keep my range estimation sharp in "big" country with all my gear on.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I have hunted elk a handful of times and I am from Michigan flatlands. I can tell you with certainty that being in shape and getting some extra weight off can make it enjoyable vs just bearable. I can't stress this enough. My hunting buddy this past season swore that I had to climb every hill I saw just because it was there. He wasn't really ready for the climbing. The first time can be a lesson in mountain navigation, getting comfortable with something totally different than hunting wood lots, and maybe seeing an elk. The second trip is where most begin to excel. Many are scared of the dark, being alone, and being able to find their way out. Go with someone that can guide you with their experience and go for it!

Online TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
I am a novice elk hunter (I have been one time and will be hunting again in Montana this Fall) but I learned a couple of valuable lessons on that first trip:

1.  Be aggressive.  I am primarily a whitetail hunter and it took me a few days to get comfortable with the fact that you can make some noise when trying to get in position.  Elk make alot of noise.  If you are not seeing elk, keep moving until you find them instead of waiting for them to come to you.

2.  Set up in front of rather than behind the brush when calling (or when someone else is calling for you) - this mistake cost me a shot at a 350" bull 30 minutes into my hunt on the first day.  The bull was broadside at 20 yards but I couldnt shoot because of the brush.

3.  If an bull is bugling but won't come in to the calls, go to him -- it is pretty easy to find him if he is bugling often.  Just be careful for the cows that are certain to be surrounding him -- they will bust you.

4.  Get in shape

I will be watching this thread closely for other hints.

Offline Elk77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
If you bugle or cow talk, be sure to be ready to wait, even if you hear nothing. They will come in with out making a sound, and be on top of you before you no it. Just my .02, I imagine you know this, good luck and happy hunting.-----Dan Berry

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
I see there are quite a few elk newer hunters as far as elk hunting goes on this thread! Here's some info I've shared in the past that may help some out here!

"Keep It Simple"

It isn't necessary to be the best caller out there or the most knowledgeable in the field about elk habits & mannerisms. But what you do work on have it down well.

I would seriously concern yourself with "setups" I call them "Cold or Blind Calling" setups, it's sorta like "trolling" for elk. These are very easy to master & more importantly highly effective yet very doable for newer or veteran  elk hunters.

Setups as this can be accomplished by yourself or with multiple hunters by being 20-30 yards apart. Start with light cow calling as if you were a small herd feeding & milling around a designated spot where elk sign is found & hopefully they're still within earshot. By injecting a single cow whine in the mix, then using a pre-estrus or excited sound 3-4  on mid to low volume in a 15 second span you are now showing other elk that there is a cow in the mix possibly feeling urges of estrus or coming into heat. Add some light stomping & rustling branches & brush to make it real now & then throughout your stay. This can attract both cows & bulls a like as elk are herd animals & can become very curious as to who these others are in the area that they're not familiar with.
After 5-10 minutes of this off & on communication of this supposed group of cows, now inject a small bull or cow bugle. Yes, cows bugle in small groups as this, other elk know this!

Do your best to setup where the wind is in your favor as to where you feel elk should approach from. When possible I like setting up where I have obstructions or large openings behind me where the wind would give me up. Elk generally will avoid openings or these obstructions on their way over. Too, make sure your setup is one where elk must come within your effective range to see where the sounds are coming from, you need cover here! You need to stay put in one place for a good hour & allow things to develop, be on full alert as elk can show at anytime many times silently! You can do 3- 4 setups as this per day.

Setups as these are highly productive. They can be used all day or part of the morning & evening near feeding areas or transition areas between feeding/bedding.
If a good water source is known or active wallow this could be a great midday or evening place to set a treestand or ground blind. Between these 2 types of setups/hunts you can really up your odds for success with little experience.

If you feel the need to pick up your game another level then consider this option that would come into play 10-15 minutes after your blind calling setup. You would now add an "estrus buzz" into the mix only after you have concluded your calling in that 1st setup. This new sound now shows a cow has entered the picture that had heard your previous calling & is now looking for this small herd. This is "making it real" It can really pick at the curiosity of any elk within earshot to come and assist this cow since this is what she is asking for! She wants to find these elk! Other elk will generally come and assist her or try & call her to where the real herd is! Guys we have called many many bulls & cows in with this sound done in this fashion. It's unique & most elk hunters have never used it or ever heard it but the elk know exactly what it means! (grin) Stay at your setup a good 30min after using this sequence, be patient & 100% alert! This is a great Public Land method & can be used in Aug.-Sept.-Oct.

Here's clip of this sound!  Note the cows urgent tones & actions!

Concentrate on achievable setups as this & you'll really enjoy your hunt. Don't concern yourself with knowing all the sounds elk make & trying to understand them all, that can come in time as you spend more time in the field & want to learn more!

ElkNut1

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©