3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: stump shooting arrows.. again.  (Read 715 times)

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
stump shooting arrows.. again.
« on: February 15, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
Hi Gang:

I know this has been covered plenty of times, but here goes:

In looking over this topic, it seems most people are using footed carbons to stump shoot.  I have never shot carbons, and frankly do not want to spend the money.

I hunt with aluminum, and it seems crazy to stump shoot those, they'd bend in a heartbeat.

So, I use cedar.  The problem is, with steel blunts, I'm breaking EVERY shaft at the tip.

So I use Flu-Flus:  not as many breaks, but the trajectory is different.  I'd rather use the "standard" feathers, not flu-flus.

If I stay away from carbons, what works best for you?  I'm thinking of trying those rubber blunts from Three-Rivers, thinking that might save some arrows, because this is crazy!  I took one of the kids out for a while today, we had a blast, but I came home with a quiver full of kindling.
Or is time to bite the bullet and go to carbon?
Thanks,
Rich

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: stump shooting arrows.. again.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
I'll tell you what Rich, footed carbons are tough to beat for stumpshooting.  If you're going through that many woodies stumpshooting, get yourself a half dozen carbons, foot them and see how long they last.  I think you'll find that you will save money in the long run......or I can give you a couple to try out......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Hardwoods like hickory maple or birch are much tougher to break than cedar.  Might also be a bit more selective in the stumps and other stuff you choose to shoot.  Look for dead, rotted stumps, clumps of dirt without visible stones, etc.

Offline caleb7mm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
for the price you spent replacing your broken arrows and the rubber blunt you are going to buy you could buy carbons and have money left over.
Hoyt Dorado 45&50lb

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
Go here and watch the video - that's  what I am going to do once i tune my AD's to my new bows.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=083535

Jer Bear

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
If you buy the blems from Big Jim, the price of carbons aint too bad to start with, and then they don't break. Easy math.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I missed with a carbon at probably 6 stumps today.  I shot through 2 stumps that I thought were thicker and bounced it off three other stumps that didn't have as flat of a surface as I thought.  It's still in my quiver and will be lost next weekend at the JLMBH.

I have also a Douglas fir arrow in my quiver from a friend fixed with a JUDO point.  That's one tough arrow!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
i use the braveheart foot/weight jig that inserts a glued-in nail into the core of the shaft's front end = tough as nails, pun intended!  i use judo points exclusively for roving and haven't busted a shaft behind the head yet.    :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I used to stump shoot with aluminum arrows and had great success with Judo points. I tried to stay away from shooting at "new" stumps also. I also enjoyed shooting at tufts of grass, lone leaves at edges of woods, and plastic bottles. These items aren't as apt to ruin your arrows as are fresh stumps.

But now, I just use my Bemans and still only shoot at the aforementioned "stumps".
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I have broken far fewer arrows using Ace Hex heads than any other point. I have broken ash shafts, but not as easily as I have broken cedars.

I will offer up this:
You straighten, sand and stain your cedars, seal them, taper them, put on nocks, feathers and points. Straighten them again.

How much time and money are in them?
Now, look into the low-end but good carbons, not the fancy wood-grained looking ones, but your basics that are built the same without all the make-up. Put on a wrap or spray-paint a cap. Fletch them and add nocks, inserts and points (I am still killing stumps with hex heads!).

Which cost more? Remember to pay yourself for your time. I betya the carbons are cheaper, especially when you figure that you are not having to replace them as often. The hard part will be finding the shaft that works for your setup.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
One other target I found to be great today was Horse poop.  Not fresh but a big pile of frozen poop.  It was nice since there were plenty of targets that explode when hit.  Since it was frozen it wasn't as messy as most think and the judo point hung up in the grass and quickly stopped arrows. I wasn't checking for broken nocks every shot!   :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Rob took the words outta my mouth   :)   Except I use a 1/8" rod...I can get up to 5" of footing inside the shaft which weighs in at about 125 grains. My disproportionate barrel tapered shafts with these footings have great FOC, weight, and toughness.

Craig

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
I have good luck shooting judo points with wood shafts stump shooting. Although they are not cheap but the shaft and point seem to last for years. Unless you shoot at something that turns out to be a rock. I found out the hard way shooting the rubber blunts one day at about 15 yards at hard things be prepared to DUCK!!!!
PBS  Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
also, with the braveheart jig, you can foot the front end without adding any significant weight by using 3" to 4" of 1/8" carbon or plastic fiber rod instead of an iron nail or tungsten rod.  

because this type of footing runs from the tip of the point taper, not from behind the point itself, it really strengthens the entire front end of the arrow.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
I stump with arrows made from shoots. Practically unbreakable.
Jawge

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 01:24:00 AM »
I just bought the rubber blunts from 3 Rivers. They work just fine. Just to see what would happen, I shot a stump from real close up (5 yds) with 60# bow. The blunt worked and the arrow was fine. Uh, but the ricochet sucked. Hit my son in the chest. Better think that one thru next time. Glad Momma wasn't watching.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline LA Trapper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
Rich, I don't shoot stumps like a lot of guys.  I shoot bright colored leaves, small tufts of grass, little stick ups, leaves that are sticking up and such.  I never could convince myself to intentionally shoot an object that is hard with one of my arrows.  Just me I guess. It seems self destructive.  Kind of like driving 70 in a 55 and wondering why you get a ticket.  Another thing is rove on ground that is not flat so your arrow will not skip.  Doesn't matter what type point you shoot then. We don't have the snow to fight like you guys up North. So any day is good day to shoot leaves and such in Louisiana unless we are in one of our monsoons. A lot of guys stalk and shoot cans, trash and such.  These are great targets, however, when you have the New England snow to contend with, I guess most the trash is buried until Spring.

You are not alone.

Billy
Lifetime Member Bayou State Bowhunters
Lifetime Member Louisiana Traditional Bowmen

The path of least resistance is what makes men and rivers crooked.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 03:36:00 AM »
Can the Bravehart jig be used on a shaft that is already tapered?
Thanks-Hap

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »
I stump shoot termite mounds which can be pretty hard at times. I use Douglas fir. Some of mine have had hundreds of launches. They usually break when I miss and hit one of the plentiful rocks that litter the ground in many places. Douglas fir and an Ace Hex blunt is my recommendation.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 04:28:00 AM »
Yes, Hap, the jig can be used on a tapered shaft.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©