3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Winter shooting, trick shot of the week.  (Read 898 times)

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Winter shooting, trick shot of the week.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
We do a compeetition at Camp Wilderness, a youth Hunter Safety/ Outdoor education camp in which I am director of, that is a riot.

We call it the Buck Shoot. We pin a dollar bill on the side of a 3D target set at an unknown distance, typically between 12-18 yds. The kids who get into the competition get one shot, unpracticed, to see who can get the closest to hitting Washington in the nose. Closest shot wins the dollar and moves into the elimination rounds. We switch target and distance, and shoot it down until we have a final winner. The thought is that it as closely as possible simulates the pressure they would feel the first time they draw on a live game animal, and focuses on picking a spot.

We get more and more kids shooting trad bows every year, in part because I have several of our instructors that shoot trad, and the kids are fascinated with the trad bows.

The Champion wins a 3D deer target, or a treestand/safety harness, winners choice. The runner up gets whichever is left over.

Semi-finalists win a small 3D target.

Sometimes they challenge the staff, we will be shooting with them, and they get the trad bow guys shooting all kinds of trick shots. We have a lot of fun with it.

I have been lucky to have a few trad bows donated to give away to the kids who we see really take to shooting them through the weekend. LASt summer I gave a recurve and dozen arrows to a young girl of 13, who spent all of her free time shooting that bow. At the end of the weekend, with parents in attendance, she was eliminated inthe semi finals. but she had earned that bow through the weekend. As I handed it to her, the smile was priceless. I was grinning from ear to ear myself.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Bahrzoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
Sounds good.

Offline Chester Thompson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
I'd be a little concerned with a candle indoors. Other then that it sounds like a lot of fun.
Ask me about CTO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©