3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dos and don'ts for first time Western hunter  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Dos and don'ts for first time Western hunter
« on: February 15, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
I am piggybacking this off of GMMAT's topic. I, too, am looking forward someday to a DIY trip out west (most likely Colorado) and was wondering what some of the curveballs and "no-brainers" are for a first-timer. I mean anything and everything from gear to preparedness to the so obvious surely anybody can figure it out stuff. I can be oblivious at times, ask my wife!

Thanks in advance,

Dusty

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dos and don'ts for first time Western hunter
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Dusty,

DO be (or get) in as good of shape physically as you can. You cannot be in too GOOD of physical condition, but you can sure be in too BAD of shape. On one Colorado elk hunt my son and son-in-law went for their first high elevation hunt. While both were in pretty good shape (son-in-law is a fireman) they were completely wasted after the first two days. I think I did OK because I paced myself more (hunted slower and didn't get in a hurry).

Going from my 600' elevation to 10,000+ is TOUGH! Also, be aware of altitude sickness. It can ruin your well made hunting plans in a hurry. Being prepared physically is part of the equation, but also read all you can on it and take the recommended precautions (acclimation and possibly medication).

Don't believe the elk hunting tapes/DVDs that make it look so easy. They can cause you to get your hopes too high and then you may get frustrated early on your first western hunt. I've seen this happen. The hunts are fun to watch and can provide some good info... but beware... it is tough to hunt elk.

Plan, plan and then plan some more.

Sorry for rambling... I'm sure you will get much better advice from others.

Good luck...
Wayne
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
After 5 trips. Like Wayne stated training hard will help but the elevation and mountains usually make you pay the 1st few days. Altitude really bothers me and everyone has told me I need to come earlier a few days to get use to it before going hunting.

I think one of the hardest tricks is to try and get away from everyone. You will always run into someone on a 4 wheeeler dirt bike, where they are not suppose to be.

I know one of the major mistakes we made was hunting old sign. If you don't find any fresh sign move somewhere else camp and all if you have to.
PBS  Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
Good advice so far, but one especially bears repeating:  get in shape!  Not being physically prepared is a recipe for a very frustrating and difficult trip.

As far as equipment needs, the most important one is to get a good pair of boots and break them in well before your trip.  Do not scimp on what you spend for footwear.  Buy the best you can find and make sure they fit properly. Nothing will bring your trip to a screaching halt quicker than blisters and sore feet.  

Good quality socks go right along with the boots - spend some money and buy good ones like Smart Wool or Thoros.  I prefer a light liner sock under a medium weight wool and have never had a problem.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Don't feed the bears   :readit:    :biglaugh: ....

Good maps and learn how to use a compass. If you want to get where the good hunting is, you won't see a 4-wheeler. If you do, go deeper.

Being in shape helps.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
Some times your reward is just being there.

fnshtr- As a co-producer of a hunting film, I know that the small clips that you see on film from the comfort of your living room can certainly be misleading. Only the quality footage with good lighting and smiling faces are often revealed. Video cameras do not like cold wet days in heavy wind. Ha!  Weather is the key. Giving yourself enough time to “weather the storms” or outlast a drought is very difficult for an out-of-state hunter, but at least plan for enough days to allow you to have a good experience.

For me 10,000 feet has been the point at which “time slows down” during the first days of the hunt. Once you get acclimated, you will be like a new man.

I don’t know about the rest of you guys, but it seems that I have more dreams and much more vivid dreams (nightmares) at night sleeping at high elevation. I’m not sure if it’s because I’m alone, something to do with the high elevation, or just the anticipation of the next days events, but I have come to expect it over the years.

Just put common sense on the top of your check-list and you will be OK.  Have fun! MIke

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Some times your reward is just being there.

Hear. Hear.

The MAIN thing I'm planning on packing....is an 8G memory card.

Good luck to all.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
All good info above.  Be prepared for all weather conditions, you can have sun and 75 degrees one day (or hour) and snow and 25 degrees the next.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Get and read "Backcountry Bowhunting" by Hanes.  Will save you a lot of grief.  H

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 10:45:00 AM »
What everyone else said, but I would never go out west without 2 great pairs of boots that are broken in.  

When the weather turns nasty, and it will, one pair of boots doesn't dry over nite.  Putting on a fresh pair of dry boots changes me into a hunter vs. someone just trying to get through the day.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
I suggest you take with you the best quality glass you can afford. You'll see things in the distance that will suprise you. Take the time to really look.
        Larry

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by fnshtr:

Don't believe the elk hunting tapes/DVDs that make it look so easy. They can cause you to get your hopes too high and then you may get frustrated early on your first western hunt. I've seen this happen. The hunts are fun to watch and can provide some good info... but beware... it is tough to hunt elk.

Good luck...
Wayne
Excellent advice as to what NOT to do.    :thumbsup:

I might add that the west has so much open country that glassing way more than walking will pay off huge...Look and look some more!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
One thing I would look at is what type of hunt you are lookig for. Not all western hunts have to be physical. I hunt deer and elk from 11,000+ ft to 4000 ft. You can dry camp(trailers,tents,ect) rent a cabin/hotel or backpack/bivy in. I have a camp trailer for a base camp and keep my pack loaded for overnight bivys,if I find what I like. There is alot of hunting that is good that can be close to towns and good camping. Some of my best stand are very close(less than 100 yds) to roads and highways. Sometimes hunters think you always have to hike in miles when they walk right by the best ground. Game can get pushed from the high country pretty quick and move in close to cabin areas,hay fields,and towns. Once you deside where and how your going to hunt arrive early and spend some time scouting,scout hunters too to avoide over crowded areas. Good luck!

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Layers...especially the base wicking layer. Stay away from cotton. Forget about the dark green swamp camo too...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys! I know I need to get in better shape and I am concerned about the elevation; I live at only 500ft. of elevation! I think I've got the boots and socks covered with a few pairs of Hanwags and several pairs of Bridgedale and Thorlo socks.

I love to read so I'll definitely check out Cameron Hane's book, although the guy strikes me as a sadist.

Any other tidbits? How do you guys practice uphill shots? If I want to use a hill where I'm at I'd have to build it!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Im keeping an eye on this one, keep it comming guys.
Thanks for your input.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
Don't ever mistake Mule deer for being dumb or easy game.  It may be true in some instances for the rifle hunter but not for us.  

And like mentioned before and you can't say it enough, get into the absolute best physical condition you can.

I've spent my entire life in the west (except 2 years in Germany, 1 year in Korea, and a few trips to the Persian Gulf) and the altitiude can really be taxing on those that aren't used to it.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
Get a GPS - a good one, and learn to use it.  Get maps of the area you plan to hunt and memorize them.  Nothing worse than a wet cold slog back to the truck or camp thru the dark with no idea where you really are.  A simple punch of a button at camp, at critical landmarks and at your animal can make life a lot easier on you and it will take you right back where you started.

Take a safety signaller with you at all times.  a broken ankle, snake bite, or a million other oop's can ruin your day and potentially end your life.  The west is an awesome place, at times it can be a dangerous one.  

Always carry basic survival equipment with you in a pack.  I always have enough to hold out for two or three days.  I have spent a few nights next to a kill made very late in the day, in rain or snow storms and made it thru with little to no personal suffering, all due to a warm fire, a quickly put up shelter, and warm food and tea boiled up on the spot.  It doesn't have to be a lot of equipment, just enough to get you thru.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
I should have qualified my original statement better regarding the hunting videos. I love a good quality hunting video.. it's just that many of them leave a false impression to the novice.

I should have said; "be selective" and choose "how to" and informational videos over the multiple kill shot types.

As they say, experience is the best teacher. However, it is also good to learn from other people's experiences, including their mistakes... we won't live long enough to make them all ourselves!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Getting in shape is a good thing and will help all aspects of any type hunting.Your body just has to adjust to altitude by being there and it just takes time.It's a blood thing.it shouldn't be much problem till you get over 6000'.In a perfect world,it would be ideal to spend a few days at high elevation before you actually hunted,if not,take it slow and gradual and just listen to your body.

Not only do your boots need to be broken in but your feet need to be conditioned to them as well.Spend the last month or so before,wearing those boots a lot,exercising,shopping,working,whatever.Get your feet used to them.If your feet give out or get badly blistered,your hunt is over.It may be worth your while to get quality insoles for your boots.Everyone's feet are different.Some feet need no support,some need a lot of arch support or heel stabilization.

I agree about Cameron's book.He is a sadist and you don't have to hunt exactly like he does but someone who spends so much time living in that country can give you a lot of real advice about clothing,water treatment,hydration,navigation,safety etc..It contains a wealth of information from someone who knows.

A GPS is good but I would back it up with a map and compass.

Above all,lose the eastern hunting mindset.I grew up in the East and it took me awhile to adjust to hunting in the West.Where I grew up,there were deer on every square mile of land.In the West,there may be miles of country with no game at all.They may have been here yesterday but are miles away today,so don't be too sedintary.

You just have to keep moving till you are into game.Either sight the game,find fresh tracks,hear elk bugling etc or keep going till you have located game.When you are sure you are in good country,nothing wrong with sitting and glassing for a few hours.Nothing wrong with sitting on waterholes or wallows either if the are hot,right now.Just make sure you are sitting where game is now,otherwise,keep moving.

Game may not be as visible as you expect them to be.Learn to pick the landscape apart with your glasses.Just because the image of a deer or elk doesn't jump out at you,doesn't mean it isn't there.Try to pick out the tips of antlers of a deer bedded in the shade,an ear,the cream color of a mule deer's rump,the color of an elk etc..

If it has been very dry and water sources are few,animals will be more concentrated and easier to find and hunt.When we have a real wet season and everything is very green,animals are scattered everywhere and are much harder to hunt.

Remember,in the mountains,you have a prevailing wing but you also have thermals.In the mornings,the cool air will be drifting downhill.After the sun comes up over the mountains and the temperature starts to rise,that down draft starts to reverse itself and the thermals rise up the mountain untill late evening when the sun drops behind the ridge again and the thermals will draft downhill again.

That is why animals often feed low during the night and head uphill toward their bedding grounds at daylight.They are traveling uphill and the cool air is drafting right downhill into their noses.It is hard or impossible to sit and wait above them during these downward thermals.It may be possible to sidehill toward them or better,put them to bed and plan a stalk when everything is right.

If you make a long,looping stalk on a distant bedded animal,keep in mind that everything may look different once you get over there,especially if you come in from the opposite direction.I used to sometimes draw a little sketch of the spot where the deer was bedded,showing all the prominent landmarks and as I approached from the opposite way,I could turn the sketch to match my approach and it would guide me in.

Nowadays,it would be a simple matter of taking a picture of the hill side the deer is laying on and refer back to that image to guide you in.And always be aware that bedded animals frequently get up,stretch and bed down a few feet or yards from their initial bed.As you approach,be ready for this and don't just focus on that original bed unless you can visually confirm he is in it.He may be bedded a few yards away and peg you.

Dwight Schugh also has an excellent book on bowhunting mule deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©