3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dos and don'ts for first time Western hunter  (Read 1052 times)

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dos and don'ts for first time Western hunter
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm ordering Cameron's book on my next payday. I'll look into powders for galding, I used the Monkey Butt stuff once and it set my "boys" on fire!

I can personally second the duct tape; I've seen the stuff used in a Podiatry office!

Awesome advice so far. Thanks to everyone for taking the time.

Offline stickytoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
my 2 cents..... the only mule deer i have shot was 17 yds away but 12 or more yds up.... practice with the equipment that you are going to use , including broadheads , backpacks, everything,,,, 1500 miles away from home is no time to start sorting and figuring out gear...also when i shot my deer it was in the mid 90's somthing to consider... we literally took pictures of us standing in two foot of snow in the morning inthe bighorns and were wearing shorts in ten sleep wy one hour later... stuff your pack with all your gear and go for a 4 mile walk, you will quikly learn what you can live without and how your boots fit... shoot your bow every day from all possible angles.....have fun

Offline tradhunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Stickytoes is write about how to find out what you can live without but you'll want to do this walk for a month before you start thinning your load.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 06:31:00 PM »
Buy a bird license and bring grouse arrows. They are great eating and a fun diversion from chasing elk. A fishing license is a good thing, as well.
I think the point about getting in shape has been made, but really can't be overstated. And enjoy the mountains.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
'A Man Made of Elk' by David Peterson is a great read too.
Don't underestimate how different the terrain is from out East, here it is sidehill, uphill and downhill.
Follow all the advice so far and pay particular attention to your feet. 2 pr top quality broken in boots, so you can change daily and 2 pr socks per day, and find a way to wash your feet daily-even if it is just handi wipes, and bring foot powder.

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Be prepaired to roll with the punches as they say,things don't always go as you plan.And like centaur said enjoy being in the mountains,they are a magical place.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2010, 07:18:00 PM »
Lots of good info. Great thread. Before you head west, as many have said, get in the best shape you can. But what does that mean, as we all have a different opinion of what " good shape" is.

If you are the couch potato type, start walking. Every day. Get your body used to moving. Within a couple months, wear your daypack and hunting boots. Add a little weight to it at a time, but you should do it with the wieght it will be when you get there.

If you can drop 20 lbs before you go, thats 20 less you have to carry around all day.

If you run a 5 minute mile, good for you. Do it with boots and a pack. You legs are your hunt.
Walking stais at a stadium or bleachers helps.
Wall sits, lunges, squats, any exercise that works the legs is good. Lungs too.

Where fitness pays off is endurance and recovery. You may run 100 yds to get in position for a shot. Being in good shape it will take you a minute or 2 to get your wind back. If you're not, you may huff and puff for 10-15.

Acclimate slowly, take it easy the first few days unless you want to spend the rest of the hunt in camp puking your guts out with a pounding headache. Drink lots of water. You may find you have to pee every 5 minutes for a day or so, your body is adjusting. Keep it hydrated. Just breathing dry mountain air will dehydrate you.I drink 2-3 liters a day, more if its hot.

Last time out I used Wilderness Athlete products, thier drink mix is awesome, as are thier power bars. They also make some tablets for altitude sickness that I think make a difference in how fast you adjust to altitude.

Be nice to your feet, and they will be nice to you. Change you socks at least once a day. Carry a couple pair in your pack. Change 'em at lunchtime. Your feet will love you.

don't get carried away bugling. Most hunters bugle way too much. If you have a bull nearby bugling, cow call and move in on him. A bugle may just send him over the next ridge with all his cows.

Elk are not deer. They look  a lot closer due to their size. PRactice on and elk sized target. I made a cardboard cutout the size of an elk, and put bales behind the vitals. Get your brain used to judging distance at elk sized critters. ( I still missed LOL )

Cover as much ground as needed to find elk.

If you find a pond or water hole, they are very productive for afternoon/evening hunts. Elk drink a lot of water, and will water at least twice a day, before bed, and when heading out to feed. Find their favorite water source, and you're in business.

A GPS is a great tool, but I've seen morethan one hunter walk around all day staring at a GPS, worried about not getting lost, instead of hunting and looking for elk. LAT26 makes a great map overlay system for 1:24,000 topo maps.

Everyone has their personal preferences for clothing. Camo patterns dont really make a lot of difference. Whatever you wear deer hunting is fine. If you wear cotton T shirts, keep an extra in your pack. You get sweaty, and when the sun gets low in the afternoon, it gets chilly fast. A dry shirt will keep you from shivering.
Fleece or wool are good bets too. Quiet, warm, and with fleece, it dries fast.

Elknut makes some great DVDs on calling. A great investment in your hunt.

Keep a couple different fire starters handy in case you need to spend the night in the bush, and know how to use them. Practice beforeyou go.
For emergency gotta have fire right now, nothing beats a road flare.

Take lots and lots of pictures. Enjoy every minute of the day. Elk hunting is hard work. But its a good hurt. The sore muscles, aching shoulders, and tired feet are all part of the experience. You get to stomp arond in the most beautiful country God has graced us with, and see things up close.

I will warn you, once you elk hunt once, you WILL do it again, or spend the rest of your life wishing you had. It gets in your blood like nothing other. And if you put one on the ground with a stick, you've pulled off a feat only a small percentage can say they've done.

Good luck.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Don't forget CHAPSTICK, by the third day my lips about fell off. Get some hard candy or gum, mouth gets dry too. Drink lots of WATER(80-100 oz)while out hunting and more in camp. Buy Elknuts video and Colorado DOW "Down to the Bone" video. Get in the best shape of your life, lots of uphill AND downhill walking. Bring a camera and ENJOY the trip.

Offline bowbenderman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
Well, lots of great advise, esp the part on how to get into shape,  I look like a nut but I go to the gym with my hunting boots on, my pack , loaded, trying to wear just what I wear hunting, incline the tread-mill an take off.  If you get out west, an do this, your lungs will feel like they are coming out your mouth, cardio, is the thing.  Lifting helps but nothing like heavy breathing!  Water is prob the heaviest thing you will carry, carry at least 2 qts.  Partner shot a bull an he ran to the deepest hole around.  We had to crawl almost straight up a long ways, but we got him out.  I just thought I was in shape! I was not.  Already said, dont bugle very much, brings in hunters also.  Elk are always farther than they seem, in binos, or in yards for a shot.  Been hunting them long time, but I am a flatlander, the mtns. are tuff.  Good luck, have fun, dont worry bout the kill, it will come, but you prob will have to put in your time. I did!!

Offline Ceb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »
If like me you like a fire at night, a conifer stump that you can kick out of the ground is full of resin and burns hot and long.

As everyone else has said conditioning. I have in the past let poor conditioning stop me from hunting areas I knew held game, not for fear of getting in or out, but because of the inability of getting downed game out.

Even if you aren,t in the best shape, hunt within your ability. Yes, its big country, but sometimes slow and easy works.

Don't pass up a good shot on a legal animal waiting on something bigger, you may well regret it later.

Above all, go, its an unforgetable experience!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©