3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tracers - Who uses them and why??  (Read 881 times)

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tracers - Who uses them and why??
« on: February 16, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
I have seen a few pics lately of guys with tracers on the arrows, and I kinda like the looks of 'em.  

Do they really work that well, or is it more of a looks thing??

Thanks
Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tracers - Who uses them and why??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I haven't tried them but a friend that has bad eyesight swears by them. He also claims you don't have to use bright feathers to fletch the arrow with if you use bright tracers.
PBS  Member

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I bought some this fall after seeing some posts about them. i tried them, and for me, they were a waste of money..
i've seen some pics of the fur sticking out quite a bit, which makes them very visible.
but the ones i bought from 3 rivers are anything but...

noy nocking 3 rivers, because i love that company. but the fur i recived was not what i expected.

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:04:00 PM »
I use the lumenoks and love them.  I can't hunt with them for big game but they are still a lot of fun.  Late in the evening, it looks like a scene from Star Wars.  Makes it easier to watch the arrow in flight and detect bad arrow flight from a poor release.  They are expensive.  But I enjoy watching the arrow in flight and under the right lighting conditions, it becomes extremely easy to watch it all the way to the target.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
I tried them but thought they were too much trouble.  Started using four fletch, which I like very much for the visibility.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
I use a tracer nock sometimes  :banghead: , but I dont care.  I dont use them often, just for squirrel hunting, and really dont care for them to much, they are really fragile.  That and the pope and young club makes me feel guilty about using them cause they are not consiedered "bowhunting equipment", and if anyone uses them for hunting, and should happened to luck into a p&y animal it will not go into the books.  Anyway way off topic.  Never tried them myself.  They seem like they will slow down the arrow a bunch?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:30:00 PM »
I use rabbit fur tracers on my primitive arrows so I can see them fly and where they hit. Hard to see all natural materials and colors. I prefer white tracers but yellow and chartreuse work almost as well as white.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Bunny Zonker strips in bright colors work great.  Buy them at the local fly shop.  I don't use them but have shot a lot with guys who do.  They are very visible in the target or in the ground.  

Personally I use really bright four fletch and a bright nock.  I think they are about the same for visibility.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Like Pat, I use rabbit fur. A white rabbit pelt can usually be found for $3-5. It'll provide dozens of tracers. I don't alwyas use them, but when I fletch arrows with natural barred or the more muted colors, it is nice to have that extra bit of visibility on the nock end of the arrow.

It doesn't slow down the arrow appreciably and really highlights arrowflight. One negative is that it gives your buddies a more visible target to focus on when you shoot first at 3D's.  "[dntthnk]"

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the input...

How are you guys gluing on the zonker/rabbit fur strips?
And how are the ones you can buy attached?
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
I don't know how the pre-made ones are supposed to be attached, but I just superglue the rabbit fur strips on.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »

I made these up for the arrow trade a few years ago.  Really made those arrows visible downrange when using the goose feathers!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I use white rabbit fly tying strips on my hunting arrows especially if I'm still hunting.  I've had guys say they couldn't see me from a distance but sure could pick up my yellow or pink fletched arrows bouncing as I walked. I don't know if game can pick it up and I hate those fletching covers on a bow quiver.  

I use either natural turkey, grey goose, or brown feathers.  I just tie one wrap of rabbit on like I would to tie up a fly.  Glue on or super glue strips don't work well for me.  Since I tie all my own flies, it's quick & easy to attach the rabbit strips. They are very visible watching the arrow flight but naturally camoed looking at the side profile in the quiver...Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Like Tippit says, you can get rabbit fur strips at fly tying stores (or from rabbits).  For feather tracers, but a bag of feathers from a craft store (Michael's, Jo-Ann's, etc.) and strip them to make tracers.  the bag is about a buck and half and will probably last you for life.  As for why I use them.  I can see not only where the arrow hits, but I can also see it in flight.  More data for my brain to absorb and process for the next shot.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I have never tried them But since I have some rabbit fur for tying up flys I am going to try that out just for kicks.

Good tip!
Levi Bedortha

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
question?  If they make it easier for you to see will the "wirey critters" like squirrels see them too?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
In flight, the fur lays back and shouldn't be too visible to a squirrel.  When the arrow strikes something, the fur poofs out and you have a very visible circle.

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by tippit:
I use white rabbit fly tying strips on my hunting arrows especially if I'm still hunting.  I've had guys say they couldn't see me from a distance but sure could pick up my yellow or pink fletched arrows bouncing as I walked. I don't know if game can pick it up and I hate those fletching covers on a bow quiver.  

I use either natural turkey, grey goose, or brown feathers.  I just tie one wrap of rabbit on like I would to tie up a fly.  Glue on or super glue strips don't work well for me.  Since I tie all my own flies, it's quick & easy to attach the rabbit strips. They are very visible watching the arrow flight but naturally camoed looking at the side profile in the quiver...Doc

So you just use thread and some head cement?
Good idea!  I would not want to use any glue, but I wonder if fletch tape would stick well enough??

Thanks guys!
TGMM

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I just paint the last inch before my nock flo orange or pink and match the nock.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline yekrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
I just am trying them I am useing hot pink maribou feathers and can really see them better! but don't know if I will continue to use them?
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©