3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Supernatural experience  (Read 20391 times)

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Supernatural experience
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
There are some truely great stories that have been shared here.

Some of them, I would much rather read about than experience first hand.

I bet there are some stories that remain untold that would just turn us inside out. Perhaps they are not shared out of fear of ridicule, or perhaps they are not shared because of re-experiencing the fear, or emotion. Perhaps, some experiences seem just too personal to share.

TTT, because there are more great stories to be told.

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Was re-reading some of these posts and thought of one.  

My family, including myself, are all from south Louisiana.  My grandpa did two things in life, work and hunt/fish...that was it.  In the old days they would hunt deer with dogs.  Mostly because the swamps and marsh were so thick and hard to get through that was the only way to hunt them.  They'd carry these horns made from cow horn. Think of a powder horn, same thing.  Anyways, when the hunt was over the person handling the dogs would blow this horn to signal everyone on the hunt.  

My grandpas had a brother named Joe and one day one of the hunters comes across an old shotgun leaned against a tree with a game bag and a horn hanging on a limb.  On the horn was scrimshawed "Joe Rodrigue" and a picture of a coyote.  But the thing is none of the men, including my great uncle Joe had ever seen it.  Then did not know who the gun belonged to either.  It was pretty rusted up as it had been there a while.  And this particular area was very isolated and back then most of the folks knew pretty much everyone else in the area.  None had known of another Joe Rodrigue.  and couldn't figure out why someond would just leave their stuff in the swamps like that. So it's still a mystery.  I have the horn hanging on the wall in my den now.

Offline Karebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Shortly after my grandmother was laid to rest, I went to my father’s house to borrow his lawn mower. “It’s at your grandmother’s house.” He said. “In the garage. Would you mind bringing it back here when you're done with it?" He had been working over there, cleaning the place up, getting it ready to sell. When I got there the garage door was unlocked. So I went in. Before we moved here ourselves, this had been our Florida home for a few weeks every summer while I was growing up.  Lots of good memories of family vacations. I wanted to have one last look around, but the door from the garage to the kitchen was locked. I checked for the nail under the work bench, and sure enough, the key was still there. When I entered the kitchen, I had this overwhelming sense, not of my grandmother, but my grandfather. It didn’t make any sense. He’d been gone for ten or twelve years, and she had just passed. The furniture was all gone. But there he was, sitting at the kitchen table, eating his lunch. When I went into the living room, he was there, sleeping in his favorite chair. I didn’t see him with my eyes. In a way, it was more real than that.  If I had actually been able see him, and closed my eyes, he would have still been there… If you know what I mean. I looked around a little more, blew it off as just residual memories, took the lawn mower, and left.
Later, when I returned the lawn mower to Dad, he was working in his own yard. He was down on his knees pulling weeds or something. With out looking up, he said, “Did you go inside?” “Yeah. Why?” I asked. “Did you see anything?” “No.” I said. “Nothing?” he pressed. Then I told him that when I went inside, thoughts of his father hit me like a ton of bricks. This made him stand up and look at me.
He had been over there a few days before,  fixing something in the far end of the house. From the other end of the house, he could hear the glass shower door rolling back and forth on it’s tracks. He went to see who else was in the house with him, but found no one. This went on a few more times when he finally said, “Stop it Pa! You’re scaring the hell out of me!” It didn’t happen again.
 Then he told me that before Grandma's funeral, my cousin was sent to the house to pick up the dress that she was to be buried in. When my cousin lifted the hanger off the rod, and turned to leave the large walk-in closet, Grandpa was standing in the door blocking her exit!
Dad then told me something us kids hadn‘t been told about at the time… There was another retired couple in the neighborhood that my grandparents were very close to. They played cards every week, etc. Shortly after Grandpa died, His buddy, Leo tried to kill himself. He told his wife, “I have to go! Stan (my grandfather) needs me!” He failed that time, but about a year later, managed to put a bullet in his head.

On the flip side of all this, my mother passed away a year ago. My brother and I had those same duties of cleaning her place up to sell it. We spent a lot of time there painting and stuff… She is not there. Neither is her mother, who’s place it was before it was Mom’s. They have both moved on to a better existence. My brother and I were there in the hospital with Mom when she passed. I felt an overwhelming sense of peace at that moment… No fear… Like everything was happening as it should.
That’s how I want to go.
Kanati 60" 48#@29"
Kanati 60" 38#@29"
There are only two types of leaders. Those bloated by power, and those humbled by responsibility.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Re-reading some of these stories I found a very strange similarity. That similarity is/was the age of most of us when these things occurred.

We were all generally in our mid to late teens, or early 20's. All young men.

This leads me into my 2nd, and only other supernatural experience. I will tell that story now, as I stated that I would in my first story.

Story 2:

Once again, I was 18 or 19 years old and stationed at Patuxent River Maryland. I worked in an Aviation Intermediate Maintenance Department. Basically, it was one gigantic hanger with 10-15 different big workshops in it. Each shop would work on different aircraft components and they would then be shipped back over to the squadrons. We were like the pit crew for all of the different airplanes.

Now, if you have spent any time in the military then you know what 'watch' is. Basically you are on guard duty, guarding whatever 'command' you work for. The 'watches' are all 8 hours long, and the "mid-watch" is the midnight to 0800. The watch consisted of two guys, an E-5 or E-6, and an E1-E4 (generally a younger guy).

This particular night I was on the mid watch. My duty was to walk around ('rove') the giant empty hangar every 30 minutes and then report back to the senior NCO on watch with me that everything was 'secure'. Our hangar was laid out in a way that the far side of the hangar had steps leading up to it, and about 12 offices, for senior command were built on the 2nd floor; built right into the wall of the hangar.

The time was about 0300, and I had yet to rove the far side of the hangar. I had put it off for whatever reason. Anyhow, I got to the far side of the hangar, flashlight in hand, and made my way to the 2nd floor. Once you get to the second floor you open a door, and are in a hallway. In front of you on the left along the hall are the 12 offices, with a bathroom at the end of the hallway. I was to check that all the doors were locked by shaking them.

So, I walk down the length of the hallway checking that all the doors are locked, get to the far end and turn around, heading back in the direction of the door leading to the stairwell. About halfway back toward the stairwell I hear 'click, click, click'. I stop in my tracks. It sounded like someone was walking behind me. More specifically, it sounded as though the thing/person behind me was wearing high heels. You know the 'click' sound that is made when a woman walks on a hard floor with heels on. So I start walking again and after four more steps I hear the 'click, click, click'. This time I stop dead in my tracks and I feel a sudden cold rush come right up behind me, and all the hair shoots straight up on the back of my neck. It felt like whatever it was was standing right behind me breathing down my neck.

At this point I break into a full spring and didn't stop until I was back at the front of the hangar where my NCO was. I am breathing heavy and so he asks me what is going on???

Me: "I was at the back of the hangar..."

(He cuts me off)

NCO: Far side of the hangar, by the offices?

Me: Yeah..... and I was down by the female bathroom and...

(Cuts me off again)

NCO: You heard what sounded like a woman in high heels walking behind you?

Me: Yeah..... how do you know???????

NCO: You are the 4'th young airman that I have been on watch with that has told me that EXACT same story in the exact same place. I have personally walked up there myself trying to experience the same thing, but it never happens to me. Only happens to guys between 18 to about 22.

I swear on everything that this story is 100% true.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
I have often heard that beginning near puberty, we are either more sensitive to other planes or more susceptible to deranged thinking. This sensitivity drops off as we are transitioned into adult responsibilities, or mental health facilities.

I am reluctant to tell of some of my experiences, as I feel that it betrays a trust, or weakens the power.

I can reveal that my first muzzleloader deer was taken under much the same circumstances as Bowspirit's experience. I name all my deer, and this one's REAL name is Patience, though I tell most folks that he is called Henry. A redtail told me to hunt steady, and at last light an eight-point came along the ridgeline, nose to the drag line that I had walked that morning. I was seated on a three-inch-wide board wedged into the base of three trees, and believe me, it was some kind of painful! I was also suffering the residual pains of a lower back injury, which was most unhelpful.

I was going to gather my stuff and head to camp, hot food and a warm mattress. I was tired  of dancing my butt cheek to cheek trying to stave off the pain, and the damp cold had seeped into my bones.

I caught motion out of the corner of my eye, and caught a flash of bird rising from the hill across the stream valley. A redtail hawk rose from the trees and crossed to my side of the stream. I know that I often look stupid, but I always greet my bird friends with an open palm, and so I greeted this one.

It circled above me four times, and then went back over to the other hill and settled down to hunt. Thus chastened, I did the same. I shot the buck at 20 yards. He is still the biggest deer I ever killed.

But the other stuff, when I was in my late teens... I better keep mum.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Killdeer, are you a tease lol. Good read everyone.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
I was once anchored up in a little cove and spent the night on my boat. When I got there it was high tide. Next morning when we got up, it was low tide, so about 20 feet lower water. This exposed a lot of shore I could not see the night before. Someone ? had arranged large rocks on the tidal flat to form a cross. It was about 25 feet top to bottom and 15 feet wide. I had to go ashore in the dinghy with our dog, so we went over there to look at it. Lodged in the stones of the cross I saw a salmon trolling plug, it was missing the hooks on it, just stuck between the rocks, with some line still attached to it.
I got it out and brought it back to the boat, cleaned it up and put a new hook on it.
We left the cove and went a little ways, and I saw some fish on the sonar, so decided to troll a bit. Put down the found plug from the cross, and within 30 minutes had a 25 pound king salmon.
Not sure if that is supernatural, but it was super anyway.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
I was once anchored up in a little cove and spent the night on my boat. When I got there it was high tide. Next morning when we got up, it was low tide, so about 20 feet lower water. This exposed a lot of shore I could not see the night before. Someone ? had arranged large rocks on the tidal flat to form a cross. It was about 25 feet top to bottom and 15 feet wide. I had to go ashore in the dinghy with our dog, so we went over there to look at it. Lodged in the stones of the cross I saw a salmon trolling plug, it was missing the hooks on it, just stuck between the rocks, with some line still attached to it.
I got it out and brought it back to the boat, cleaned it up and put a new hook on it.
We left the cove and went a little ways, and I saw some fish on the sonar, so decided to troll a bit. Put down the found plug from the cross, and within 30 minutes had a 25 pound king salmon.
Not sure if that is supernatural, but it was super anyway.

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
That's weird, my post came up twice.
Another miracle!

Offline recurve27128

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #289 on: April 03, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
Ok heres one hot off the presses (sort of)This past December I was bowhunting elk in utah with a group of guys. We were covered up in elk (from trail cam pics) but they were very nocturnal. We had been at it over a week when the weather moderated. The snow would melt during the day and refreeze at dark. We hunted from blinds and were extremely quiet. One evening (your antcipation increased with darkness coming)about 10 minutes before dark the trail cam directly across from me goes off. Startles me , but increases trying to make out a big bull. I wait longer than normal to leave but neither hear or see what set off the camera. I gather my gear and step out in the clearing. Taking a few more steps I stop and footsteps are following me.I am 49 and been hunting alone most of my life. I am also not afraid of what goes bump in the night. But in this case the steps have my attention. The crusty snow was letting me know i wasnt imagining things. I would go two or three steps and stop and listen and the steps were getting closer. I turned on my headlamp and cast about but nothing. The sound was within feet of me and they were heavy steps like mine. In fact the sound mirrored my exact steps. I at first thought an elk had come in and was attracted to my noise(not likely though). Ok now it has my full attention, the atv was several hundred yds away and I wrestled with running but settled for a brisk walk. The only thing I could think of was the comfort the running atv would give me(not to mention i could escape).I stopped at least 3 times to listen to the sounds and it closed the distance each time. Ok im onj atv and slogging back to camp. I relate the story to my hunting partner who out of nowhere relates a story of an indian chief who manifests in the middle of the night in a hotel room face to face with his friend. The guy relates the story to his indian guide the next morning who tells him who the chief is and the the hotel is on ancient burial grounds.Ok the story gets better. My partner isnt intimidated by my story and he asks if he can hunt my blind. I take another stand and to my amazement the footsteps follow me the next night also. I am a man of faith and the second time it happened it made me smile.I imagined it was my guardian angel and left it at that. Later i found out due to the elk that had moved into our area a cougar was stalking them there (The cat came by a hunter in broad daylight). What i witnessed was not a cat but something invisible , possibly protecting me.
dave brown

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #290 on: April 04, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
screech owl screaming 5 yards from your tent will sure do it. in a semiconscious state thats a pretty unreal sound
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #291 on: April 04, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
This is a fun thread!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline gjarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #292 on: April 04, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
I hunted Quebec with an Algonquin guide for moose.

In the early dark of morning, not one but two great horned owls began to follow us up the hillside. When we stopped, they stopped. When we moved they moved.

Before sunrise, my guide said he would not hunt with me and left.

I was very upset, but my chest pains began to bother me. I worked my way down the mountain, caught the boat across the lake, and drove from Val D'Or directly to Bethesda MD Naval Hospital, where I was diagnosed with 98% right coronary heart blockage.

Who says the Native American belief that Owls are a harginger of Death is wrong ... Not I.
1958 Bear Kodiak Special 60#@28"
28.75" BOP Legacy 2018, 19%FOC
Silver Flame Broadheads

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #293 on: April 04, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
gjarcher, that is a heck of a good story. I'm assuming you forgave the Algonquin guide.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #294 on: April 05, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I'd say that in this case the owls may have been the cause of a life being saved.

I am glad!!

Thanks for sharing!

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #295 on: May 23, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
this is still a cool thread

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #296 on: May 23, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Huh. Owls. This may not be so supernatural as it is just owly.

I was bowhunting in the late 80s near Wickiup Reservoir in Central Oregon and was standing against the base of a tree in dark timber. A great horned owl landed on the branch just above my head and bent over and stared at me. I was in complete camo, including a camo bandana on my head and one over my nose bandito style. We just stayed like that for minutes and minutes staring into each other's eyes. It finally just go too much for me and I said, "Hello." And he just exploded out of there.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #297 on: May 23, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
I am glad to see this thread back up, it was a fun one.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #298 on: May 23, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
When I was a little girl I lived in Hawaii. My dad was Navy. We used to go to Bellows Beach for R&R quite often, renting a cabin on the beach and staying with friends. We were on our way over the hill to the beach one night, and an owl landed in the middle of the road ahead of the car. We waited and the owl flew off, and we went on. I forget how many times the owl landed in the road and halted our progress, but it slowed us down by 15 or 20 minutes. The next time we stopped, it was because of a horrific accident on the road, the details of which I was protected from. The belief of the majority of our family of five was that the owl had kept us back, and out of harm's way.

Some tribes will not touch an owl's feather, and some believe it to be good medicine. I believe that your medicine picks you, regardless of what your fellows think.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #299 on: May 24, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your stories everyone.

I`m sure there are more to be told...  :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©