3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Great Northern or Thunderhorn Quiver  (Read 700 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Great Northern or Thunderhorn Quiver
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Trying to decide between the Great Northern Longbow quiver, or the Thunderhorn Boa Quiver.

What are your opinions?

I want a solid quiver, quiet, and I do like a little mass added to a light weight longbow.  Not out of balance heavy, but something that balances well with a bow yet adds a little weight.  

My thinking is, I like the way the Great Northen positions the arrows, so the fletching doesn't contact one another. And I Like the center balance of the thunderhorn?  

Thoughts?
Blessings,
Steve

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Great Northern or Thunderhorn Quiver
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »
I have had both but it seemed to me that the boa would work its way loose over time and I had to continually slide it down the limbs for a tight fit.

The GN with the straps STAYS PUT! and it can be modified to rake the arrows back into the profile of the bow which keeps them even more out of the way. Besides it kinda keeps the arrows in a more compact configuration and not "fanned out" like the Boa.

Also if you decide to take the quiver off, the wire design keeps the quiver and arrows as a unit instead of it wanting to fall apart like a Boa.

Both quivers are very will made, and very quiet. I just prefer the GN.

The only draw back to the GN is that the two arrows tucked in inside grippers close to the bow are not as easily accessible as with a Boa, but I keep my judos back there anyway so it is not an issue.

YMMV    :D
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
I’ve had both and I like the Thunderhorns better.  I don’t like the wire frame design of the GN and like o&u said the two arrows on the inside are not easy to get to.  I strap mine down real tight so I haven’t had any problem with it moving plus it’s easy to put on and take off.   The hood on my TH also looks a lot better.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
They are both great quivers,I have had both but my Thunderhorn BOA is my favorite.I feel it gives me a better balance on my bow.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Just to throw another option at you, take a look at the Kanati quivers made by Anneewaukee Archery.  They are a sponsor here and I really like the swept back design of their bow quivers.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Both are very good.Thiers other very good ones as well.Seems poeple prefer certain ones over others for various reasons.

In the Boa I like the small fry.They do have a newer model called a lynx that has an aluminum powder coated bar that holds the 2 parts of the quiver together in a single unit.The bottom arrows also angle back at the bottom toward the hunter/archer for sliding through brush better and they work well on shorter bows by keeping your arrow nocks ourt of the dirt when shooting from your knees.That one wont migrate down fadeouts.

The strap on ones I have dont migrate on me.I grap the end of the rubbed strap with a small vise grip to get leverage and pull the strap one hole tighter than you can with bare hands.They are great looking quivers that can be customized with various options and many leather colors.

The great northern has served me well snd I like the adjustable model for its versatility in fitting many bows vs the longbow model.The longbow model will bows nicely with very short risers though.

Both are well made and of high quality and very functional.

Eagles flight and Kanati are very good products as well.Kanatis offering an all wood hood in a strap on now through zipper bows that looks very sharp.

I use eagles flights as well and they are very lightweight quivers that I use alot.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks fellas!
Blessings,
Steve

Offline LongbowGuy83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by over&under:
I have had both but it seemed to me that the boa would work its way loose over time and I had to continually slide it down the limbs for a tight fit.

The GN with the straps STAYS PUT! and it can be modified to rake the arrows back into the profile of the bow which keeps them even more out of the way. Besides it kinda keeps the arrows in a more compact configuration and not "fanned out" like the Boa.

Also if you decide to take the quiver off, the wire design keeps the quiver and arrows as a unit instead of it wanting to fall apart like a Boa.

Both quivers are very will made, and very quiet. I just prefer the GN.

The only draw back to the GN is that the two arrows tucked in inside grippers close to the bow are not as easily accessible as with a Boa, but I keep my judos back there anyway so it is not an issue.

YMMV     :D  
Very well said. Saved me alot of typing.
Caleb Chambers
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
My son and I both have Great Northerns on our Longbows we love them! I bought a used one at the KZoo show and while there I looked a several other brands and models but settled on the GN it is liteweight and solid as rock when mounted on the bow! My son liked mine so much a that when he got home he bought one also! You might check out the Kanati quivers they are real nice also!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
I'll have to go along with Whip. Check out the Kanati. Great customer service  and a great quiver.Just go to the sponser list and check out annewakee archery. lots of pics. Don
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
Good stuff fellas.  Much appreciated! That Kanati is nice....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
The EFA bow quivers are a good choice if you want a quiver that is lightweight, well made, and does not change how your bow shoots.

As we like to say, "Travel light with Eagle's Flight."

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:10:00 AM »
I have both and agree both are great quivers I rigged my thunderhorn to hold 7 arrows so I love it small game hunting.  The GN gives better feather clearance and the back ones are not a big deal for us that use the old bear quivers or kwiky (now I gota fo look to see how thats spelled)If I had to pick just one I'd go with the GN.
Kwikee Kwiver    ha thats how you spell it
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 02:14:00 AM »
Ive had both and I prefer a Thunderhorn Lynx
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Possum2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 03:04:00 AM »
Never used a GN but I have used the Thunderhorn and really have any problems I like the strap system!
Martin Jaguar 60" 50@28
RER Vortex longbow 62" 46@28
Zipper Extreme 60" 55@28

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 08:09:00 AM »
I like the "looks" of the Thunderhorn,  but I like the "function" of the GN.  The GN holds the arrows in a smaller/tighter group, which I like.

Offline Jim Curlee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Great Northern quivers work great!
I've been using them since they first came out, lightweight, stay where you put them, holds the arrows very securely, no flopping around, easy on, and off. What else do you want?
Jim

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 10:32:00 AM »
Think I like the overall function of the GN, but I do sure like the way those Thunderhorn two tone quivers look....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline 08jwillis2404

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I prefer the Thunderhorn.  I have a Thunderhorn on all my bows.  I prefer the small fry.

Offline Morgan Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
If I were you I would probably try an EFA but from the two you have listed I would take the Grat Northern.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©