3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dean Torges Bows?  (Read 542 times)

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
Dean Torges Bows?
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
I've watched masters of the barebow (vol 1)a bunch of times. Those bows that Dean makes are sweet! but I've never seen one in person or seen anywhere one could buy one. Does he build these to sell? does he have a website? any help would be great. Thank's, Jason

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dean Torges Bows?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 12:43:00 PM »
I have looked for Deans bows as well.  He does not build them to sell.  He does donate a few here and there for different events.  Every once in a great while one will pop up in the classifieds but not to offten.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:47:00 PM »
Hen's teeth, unicorn, Dean's bows, ... I've had about the same luck finding any of them. Man, I'd like to fling some arrows with one of Dean's bows some day ...

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
I can't find Deans website anymore but if you want a Torges style bow talk to John Scrifes. He learned from Dean and Ferret and makes selfbows in Deans style. He's an associate sponsor on here and a better man you won't find
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
www.bowyersedge.com   this is deans website, he has kits available
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Dean Torges is Another Hero of Mine!!   :thumbsup:    Funny Guy that just happens to be a Great Bowyer AND Teacher!!   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Thought ya'll might like to see a little Dean Candy.

St Louis PBS 2000 donation bow.  Another good reason to go to the PBS Banquet in Nashville with all the donations on auction  :)   Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
Keith Deters makes a similar bow but alas does not sell them either.Even John McCullough picked up a few tricks from Dean.

Offline Butch NM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Deans bows are truly works of art. Have a number of Deans bows but the one that really stands out as a museum quality bow was made out of a "snakey" stave, copperhead skins w/black snake
tips and around 68# and really smokes an arrow, and puts it right where you are looking. Yea, a gentelman, teacher and woodsman....  .  However, having said that,....the person I really like is Mary, lots younger, much, much prettier and lots nicer..!!!  Hope you are doing well Dean.  Butch

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Doc,

You sure have some nice bows!!!!!!

Offline Chris O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
Yea Dean makes some nice stuff. I haven't seen him on the sites lately tho

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
I don't see Dean near as much as I'd like, but consider him a friend. Hopefully, we can both make it to Cloverdale this year. I've learned a lot from him. He'd make one helluva trail boss for sure, but he'll fix you a great meal too! He is a generous soul. He seems to be trapped in Mark Twain's body at times.   ;)  He's not in the business of making bows to sell, most likely because it would take up too much of his time better spent on more important things. He had enough years of furniture making to work that bug out. The absolute smoothest drawing bows I've ever felt were of his hand. You can literally feel the perfect tiller. That said, I believe he'd rather see you learn to make a bow well, than make you one and see you never have that same skill.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Bahrzoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
Doc, Nice bow for sure.

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
One way to get that style of bow is to get the video and make your own,or you can get lucky and win a Deters bow like I did at last years JLMBH. That type of bow is just remarkable to shoot.The video is worth it even if you don't make one!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Every 50 yrs or so you will see one in the classifieds. Dean told me a few yrs back, the only time he might offer one for sale is if he is planning a hunting trip...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline horseapple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
I used to shoot the bull with Dean when he and I were going to all the shows, I'm a card fan and he's a big red fan, fun to pick at him. He inspired me more early on in my bowmaking journey than anyone i can think of, I'm lucky to have one of his and Deters works of art.

JD

Offline Follower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Hey Doc - glad to see you still have the Firestix.  It hurts a bit to see those pics.  I have to say that I wish I would not have parted with that one.  Oh well....life goes on!  Have you taken any game with it yet?
"If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross, and follow me...."  Jesus  (Mathew 16:24)

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 10:05:00 PM »
A Redlegs fan ? I knew there was something special about him.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©