3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: quick clot/first aid  (Read 442 times)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
quick clot/first aid
« on: February 16, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
reading some stories about accidents with BHds I got to thinkin (scary) it might be a good idea to pick up a couple packs of this stuff (over counter easy) and throw in your pack. Specially some of you folks who really are out there wilderness hunting. Course with an artery it doesn't take being just a few yards from a truck to do you in.

I run fire/ems and have seen the stuff in action -it works decent, better than nothing. Arterial bleed can be amazing and scary - and it will only take a slip tp experience one in this business.

Just a thought, be safe.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: quick clot/first aid
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
JDOG,
WHAT IS THE TRADE NAME OR MEDICAL NAME FOR THE PRODUCT YOU ARE DESCRIBING?
THANKS
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Added some to my hunting pack this year.  Not a bad thing to have if you need it. Doesn't take much space or weight much and could just be useful someday.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
I've been carrying some for the last several years, in both the small size and the large size (the diameter of an Asian buffalo's horn made the big size seem a good idea too!). Great stuff. Should be in every bowhunter's kit, quiver or possibles bag.

When I bought mine it was hard to locate, but I found it at a place that sold survival equipment for private pilots. It's much more readily available today; just do a Google search.

Ed

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
I'm friends with someone who was with the company from just about the start.  She gave me the "Combat pak" early on  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I have had them in my pack for a couple of years since I discover the product. Never had to use it yet. I tend to hunt solo alot,sure makes me feel safer.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I have never heard of them? do you get them at Drug stores?
PBS  Member

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I'm a full time Firefighter/EMT and a previous Army Combat medic. The only real place you would need to place this type of clotting agent is for an inguinal wound. Where your leg meets your body. For any other wound, especially an arterial, nothing beats a tourniquet. You can make them out of easy to find materials, shirt sleeves,belts,bowstrings, anything that you can use to stop blood loss. I was taught in Medic school, that you have about six hours after applying a tourniquet before necrosis or tissue starts to die.

For smaller wounds such as on your hands,feet or anything not life threatening, super glue is your best bet. Easy to carry and works really well. When I was in Iraq as a Infantryman, my medic carried several tubes of superglue. Easier and faster than a bandage.

If you are going to use this "quick clot" product, never apply it to your head or neck due to you not knowing the full extent or your wounds. Head wounds are known to bleed alot, if you apply this to a head wound that has a crack in your skull, you have more problems than just a bleed.

All in all,to stop bleeding, pressure points,heavy gauze applied with pressure, and tourniquets for arterial bleeds is the best way to go. Just my opinion.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
Tripper thanks for giving everyone the heads up.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »
Good Info
i Have one in my First aid Bag

Also Carry a Israeli Bandaged works as a tourniquet/ direct pressure on wound. Might be worth a look if you dont have one and hunt in some remote areas.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline twosheds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Tradtusker,an Israeli bandage is an excellent idea for everyone to carry. I have one in my hunting pack.
Bob Lee Hunter Recurve 55# @ 29''

Offline Flinttim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
I see where you can now buy a stapler type thing now for carrying. How do guys feel about them ? I carry a prepackaged suture that my doc gave me.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
As a former EMT I second twosheds' opinion. Start with direct pressure, then go to pressure points and then progress to a tourniquet. Super glue does wonders for clean cuts.
Not knocking the quick-clot, it's never a bad idea to have as many first-aid tools at your disposal, I'm just concerned people may turn to the product where it isn't needed or appropriate.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 07:15:00 PM »
Yeah go through the steps of blood control - shoulda stated that - might be good to be brushed up on that - in the end rather have it than not. Specially if your not seeing a ER any time soon.

"nothing beats a tournique" (Sp?) not hardly??? only if your in to being fitted with prostetics, the thinking being that you can loosen the strap every so often to allow blood perfusion? wouldnt count on that being the case.

have seen quick clot used on many locations of the anatomy - many more accesible arteries than the femoral, many more shallow. But a serious bleed may or may not incorporate an artery - it is just that an artery is a hard thing to slow down!!!
Study it for yourself is what I say see what you think, analyze it in your own hair covered computer - from what I have seen it is a good product worth its weight if needed (hopefully not!)

J
Always be stubborn.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
There's a video on YouTube of the QuikClot being used on a sedated Pig. Doctor's are doing a Demo of it's use, and they are using it on the Hip/Leg artery.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Greg Gilliland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
Being a EMT and a nurse I agree with the direct pressure, pressure points and then tourniquet. Just make sure when you use the tourniquet you write the time down that you applied it, we were taught to write it on the there forehead with there blood (you may not have a pen with you).

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
"All tools in the tool box" is what this boils down to - but there is a big reason for scribing times on foreheads - placing a tourniquet you really cannot loosen to allow blood perfusion as then you kick a risk of septic shock.

In my area on a local hunt - I can have an ambie sittin on me within minutes - regular blood control measures should be sufficient for a buddy to get to me and pop a line.

3 miles in a Colorodo back country - no chance of quick help, regular blood control measures applied, they work great, if they are not cutting it you apply tourniquet> they can smell your arm by the time you get out - quick clot is more a measure to "help" with blood control measures BEFORE you choose to be an amputee. LOL
Rather see someone misuse quick clot as misuse a tourniquet.

No arguing at all! good points all, but when people speak tourniquets? makes me cringe.

my 2

Rally shouldn't say amputee - not sure the percentage of tourniquets applied to loss of limb?? maybe a doc on here does? but I know the risk is real once you make the choice - you are in essence saying " I am gonna live but will have to learn to cast one handed!!!!! LOL
Always be stubborn.

Offline flightmedic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 08:21:00 PM »
quick clot a good choice with a pressure bandage should do the trick for 90%+ of most accidents, torniquet uh NO!!! . unless you have the correct training on the use of one, not suggested. necrosis, compartment syndrome, amputation, to name a few things that can go wrong with placing one.
Toelke ( Troll)

Striker bow (stinger)

Compton Member
PBS MEMBER
"In the wind he is still alive Fred Bear "

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
What ever happened to cauterizing,John Wayne did it.Elevation and direct pressure is the only thing I would do,then maybe Dermabond(crazy glue) after the bleeding stops. IMMO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©