3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow Split Record--Finally, the Facts (maybe?)  (Read 626 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow Split Record--Finally, the Facts (maybe?)
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
I couldn't say how many times I've heard this story, and I don't think I've ever heard it told the same way twice.  

I'd searched the internet for something...ANYTHING, to verify it as fact or fiction.  Thanks to some help on where to find a copy, I recently purchased the 4th Edition of the Archer's Digest, which carried the story.  It arrived today, and of course I went straight for the one article I bought it for to begin with.

First, there were two archers--not just one.  The shot distance was 20 feet.  Two bales were set up, where both archers alternated between them, shooting 36 arrows per round.  After that, they turned around to shoot at the other target while the arrows were removed from the first.  The nocks were left on the arrows, but heated and spread apart to make it less likely for an arrow to glance off.

Not as impressive as most of the versions I've heard, but impressive nontheless.

Now, why did I say "maybe" in the title?  Well...you be the judge here.  According to the article, one of the archers was using a 40# pull longbow...and (also according to the article) he was getting "about 195 feet per second (fps)" with arrows that weighed (get this) 520 grains!  195 fps with 13 gpp with what looks to be no more than a 28" draw, from a longbow, back in 1985 or 86.  Really?

Amost forgot.  The total number of arrows fired was 9,025.  The total number of "robin hoods" was a combined 347 in a 24 hour period.  The most split in one 36 arrow group was four.

Although some of the stats are questionable (195 fps with 13 gpp?????), I reckon this is the best version of the story available.  It's certainly the best I've been able to find.

Chad

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow Split Record--Finally, the Facts (maybe?)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:49:00 PM »
Impressive!  i imagine they were sore for a couple of days!  Who was the bowyer of this "magic" bow, and who were the archers?
Thanks for sharing Chad!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
Ok Chad who was the person who did it? I've heard it was Arvid sp? The bowyer of Black Swan..?
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
im sure that chrons. in that timewhere quite as good as we have now. that might have something to do with it. but who knows
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
I have also read somewhere that it was Arvid D. of Black Swan who had done this deed.I think it was in TBM way back when the first generation of Black Swans were mede that I had read about this, in the bowyer interview section.
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:26:00 AM »
So, they were shooting 36 arrows (with modafied nocks) in a target at 20ft and trying to get robin hoods. UH OK! I just don't get the point?

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
Sounds very expensive to me!

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
Again, there were two shooters--not just one.  One was Arvid, the other was a fellow by the name of Ray Girouard.  

Ray had also set another record (by himself) by shooting 10,022 arrows at 9-inch thrown paper discs in 22 hours (he hit more than 8,000 of them according to the article).  The range was 10 yds.

Doesn't seem to say which one split how many, just that 347 were split out of 9,025 shots.  That's almost 7 arrows split for every 180 shots taken.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by JOKER:
So, they were shooting 36 arrows (with modafied nocks) in a target at 20ft and trying to get robin hoods. UH OK! I just don't get the point?
Yeah....I don't get it either.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Arrow killing spree?  Couldn't get a date?

I reckon the goal was to set a record with a traditional bow.  Like most records, I don't see any practical purpose in it.

I posted because of all the different versions I've heard about this event, and wanted to set the record straight...or at least as straight as I could.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Is there a point? I think it may have been just for fun. Haven't y'all ever done something just to see if you can?
Thanks for the info Chad I have wondered about that myself.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
I doubt most archers could duplicate this feat given the same circumstances so I guess the point is to have done something that no one has done before and to hold the record.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline WOUNDED EAGLE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
Question:
  Does this post refer to how many Robin Hoods a person gets in a single shoot out ? OR does it mean over a period of time etc.?????
Wounded Eagle

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
The record was two shooters seeing how many they could get in a 24 hour period at a distance of 20 feet, shooting groups of 36 arrows.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
"What did it all prove? Two men took their abilities & simple equipment & pushed them to limits never before attempted.  They took a fascinating idea from an old Hollywood movie & performed an amazing feat of endurance. And they performed with style & skill. In doing so, they have advanced the sport of archery for us all." Thanks for the link David!  Incredible feat!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
I have several questions . . .

1.  What was the arrow material?

2.  Was this a promotional stunt for Black Swan bows?  Someone mentioned that they were just at the start of the company, so that makes sense, picture it . . . "Arvid and Ray robin hoods 347 arrows with the brand new Black swan longbow"

3.  Is it just me or does this seem like shooting fish in a barrel?  20 feet that is less than 7 yards? Any person can stack arrows at 7 yards, and it you have say 6 arrows within a 1" area, that increases your chances of robin hooding 600%???

Not to down anyones acheivments but I can easily break that record of 8000 9" disks, at ten yards.  Now granted Mr Girouard had a 79% hit ratio, I think that could have been better.  I would be willing to bet that most of his misses were at the end, but I feel that most archers could do it with at least a 85% hit ratio, but it is like a grand slam, most of us will just simply never try, or cant afford to try, lol  

and finally with 347 out of 9025 shots that is less than .04%, which would kinda be expected?  I know I am being sceptical, and I dont know if I can do or afford to do better.
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline cobbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I just ran some numbers on this. The stats alone for the # of arrows impressive.

total shots 9025
shots per shooter 4512.5
shots prhr pr shooter 188.02
time pr shot 18.6 sec
rounds shot 250.69
robin hoods per 36 shot round 1.38
amount of weight pulled by one shooter at 40# 90.25 tons (had to do this twice to make sure)
lineal feet of arrows 21,058.33'
Miles of arrow flight 34.18

I like to play with numbers.   :)  
Cobbow

Offline elknutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Good numbers cobbow, makes me tired just to think about it.
"There is no excellence in archery without great labor" - Maurice Thompson
"I avoid anything that make my dogs gag" - Dusty Nethery

Offline cobbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
The one that got me was the amount of weight that was pulled. OUCH!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©