3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PIG GIG--Week 1 ---***SNAKE PICS ADDED***  (Read 6423 times)

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PIG GIG--Week 1 ---***SNAKE PICS ADDED***
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
On the way out to go get the snakes, we drove along and were approaching a gate to open to go thru...Don yells "hogs by the feeder"!!

A little sounder of hogs had found to feeder we'd been shaking corn out of earlier in the week.

They were on to us and "getting away" quick. With the boys all tangled up in the backseat. I asked them to hand me my bow and I was off.  There was only a slim chance I'd  get close, but there I was running in the snow to try.....

Before I knew it I was trotting along, paralleling the hogs as they moved on the shelf below me....

The lead hag has already out distanced me, but I'd actually gotten slightly ahead of some little one's and a good size spotted hog. They were about 25yds. below me....I stopped and got ready to shoot as they came trotting by...

But... as much as I tried to find an opening to shoot thru....it just wasn't there.... and off they went.....

I recognized that I was now close enough to the bluff that I could walk to it and check the "pig bomb"....besides it would be easier for the guys in the truck to pick me up there....

The bomb had been detonated!!!

There was 4 hogs at the hole, and 5 more eating all the corn on the trickle trails....

A quick text to JC to let them know and they drove over to me. Don got out and came over to the edge....Don has already posted pix. Maybe he'll post them again here...

We talked about it for a second...the wind was perfect, the hogs were busy eating',  I had to try it...this might be my only chance...

When I left Don at the top of the bluff, all the hogs were at least as far out in the flat as the pig bomb.... and that would give me an excellent opportunity to sneak in.....

But by the time I got down there, they had come right into the area where I was planning to come out of the bottom and up on the flat.

Not expecting them to be there, I peeked up slowly only to find them only 20yds in front of me and in a terrible spot for this to be happening!!!

They had no idea I was there as I got into shooting position. But this area was just too thick, leaving me only on opening about a foot wide in front of me to shoot. But they were coming right to it....

I had tension on the string of my 63# Kwyk Styk as they approached...15yds....14...13...12...11...at 10yds the lead hog was one step from hog heaven...but her instinct kicked in....she held up just shy of my only opening...

She stood stone still for about 30 seconds, knowing "something wasn't quite right"...but then started to take that one step forward. As she did, I started to draw and she saw the movement and turned into my lane and walked in to about 7 steps from me....staring right at me...She growled to alert the other and very soon I was all by myself!!  Dang it!!

Had I been in an area with better shooting opportunities and not only one little spot to shoot, I would have let her walk past and drawn as she quartered away....I didn't have that option and had "to go for it"....I turned around and hiked back up the cliff...we had snakes to catch....

My feelings are exactly as Joe described about the snakes...nobody on the ranch wants them around...and we'd put every one of them the very good use.

Another surreal experience that we never could have imagined....catching snakes in the snow in TX!

•  

•  

•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
What can be said but...   :thumbsup:  

Looks like you had fun!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
The Texas Snake Wranglers great pics.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Them's some baaad boys- good job guys. I had a chance to see the "scene of the crime" but sat sulking in the truck cause I'd lost my old bowhunter kit with a forty year old Puma Nicker in it. The folks at PumaUSA have a replacement on the way from Germany, btw- great folks. Beautiful pictures Curt and JC- I really had blocked out how cold it was. This was one of the best experiences of my hunting life and its been a long and good one- perfect terrain and the best company anyone could hope for. Curt- it was great meeting you and everyone else, great to see you again. I can't wait to see what Barry and Gene do to us next year, LOL.    Grant

Offline SKYLER W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #226 on: February 22, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Here is Curt and Dad's Pig Bomb....Look just left of center at the bare earth showing and look closely for the Hogs......
TGMM Family of the Bow

Speak softly and carry a Big Stick; You will go far.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #227 on: February 22, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Great thread, guys!  

Gregg
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2010, 08:08:00 PM »
Great story telling and pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Did anyone cook up any of the snakes? I happen to like the taste.

Thanks again!
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Don feeling the effects of 4 days a of very tuff hunting...
•  

Friday morning....
•  

Not hard to pattern us....the bathhouse.....
•  

"Whip"...now here's another one of the finest fellas a guy could ever ask to cross paths with,  an absolute fine gentleman!  Just wish I could have had more time to spend with and around Joe. He's one of those guys that when you meet him, you just "know"....
•  

Four more fine TG'ers....Bill Kissner, Hillboy, Hormoan, and Gatekeeper...
•  

"Miss Kim's" rig also feeling the effects of the hunt. Joe was on his way to town for a repair!
•  

We had a late start  to get out hunting trying to get the truck situation figured out. But Rob took us out in his beast. I would stay back and watch over the "pig bomb" and check feeders. Rob,Sky, Chase, and Don would try to get to the other side of the creek for the first time. We knew that's where we needed to be, but because of the weather we just couldn't!  They'll fill you in on their fine afternoon!  
Grant would hunt the other side of the river.

They dropped me off, we wished each other good luck, and they drove off....as I approached the bluff it was very apparent the "pig bomb" had been hit hard since I'd been there the evening before.....
•  

A closer look...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2010, 08:50:00 PM »
Walker,Erick and I emptied our quiver in an open field on some busted hogs.Erick went to try and head them off Me and Bob ran down a runt and decided it was a whole lot easier to catch hogs then shootem
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Great Pic Mike! Re-size it and get it back up for everyone to see.....I thought Bob could move really fast if he had too....
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Let me Say this before we finish posting Pics and this Tale Ends.....JC and I both know we are very Lucky To have Sons who enjoy the Outdoors and Hanging out with their "Old Men"...It makes me proud of Skyler when My Buddies and New-found friends speak so highly of him....It really was a Tough Week of Hunting but it was a Great Week also...Like Curt said "Everything happens for a reason"....Maybe that reason was for our little Group to become Closer..Who Knows for sure....I just know that our group was Great...Chris, Curt, JC, Chase, Skyler and Myself in a Camper for a week, in this Kind of Weather and we didn't kill one another  :)  We had Great Traveling Buds in Rob and Grant..What a Pair! .......OK now for some Weird Stuff....15 miles from nowhere and I find these 2 Items in the Brush. They were About a Mile Apart and Quite a Ways from any road. The first is a Refridgerator sitting in some thick Brush....inside was an old Folgers Coffee Can...Did anyone else see it?????  
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
Next was a Brick...now I know that if you could have seen where this was at, you would've Scratched your Head....Absolutely no reason for it to be where it was....Somebody had to have carried it there and for what reason?...Again, it was a long way from No where.....Strange.  
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »
The awesome stories and pictures continue.

Don the reason that everyone speaks so highly of skyler is because he was taught well and you are a great DAD. I am sure that in the years to come Skyer and Chase will be saying that they cannot thank there DADS enough for the gift you have taught them.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Great stories and pics, guys!  Sure can tell you were there to have fun and nothing was gonna spoil it.  :clapper:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2010, 10:11:00 PM »
This was my first Pig Gig and the Twins put on a good gathering. The Lambshead Ranch was a different kind of Texas hunting for me - a place where spot and stalk for hogs was a real possibility. One day I had Woody drop me off a couple miles down river from our spot and still hunted back towards Matson's Crossing. It was cold but the snow had not yet fallen and as walked the river bottom I enjoyed a wonderful day afield.

I found sheds and explored thickets at the base of the bluffs. At one point I spotted hogs ahead and it was two large sows with piglets. Too far to hit the piglets and two far from the road to drag a large sow, so I took some pics and thought about a stalk.

They were feeding on native pecans and rooting away. The wind was in my favor. Then from behind me - in the thickets I had passed - came a warning growl. The sows paused and a second growl from over my shoulder sent them to the thick stuff. I figure some old boar was watching me and did not like my looking over his flock.

I missed a shot at a fat sow that had beat me to the Bros' ladder stand they sent me to on Thursday. Then the last day I cut the fresh track in the snow of a big boar that Woody had seen earlier in the week. This boar had a gimpy leg and left a distinctive and huge track in the snow. I followed his spore and was soon rewarded with a glimpse of him ahead across a draw. He stepped out of the brush and looked back at me broadside. My arrow was away and had heart written all over it - until I realized that what Woody had described as "The biggest wild hog I've ever seen." - was actually standing at 40 not 30 yards. They don't make a 3D hog target that size and I had seriously misjudged the range.

Wonderful gathering of the cream of the trad archery hunters. I often reflect that these hunts could be held in a hotel in Chicago because the real thrill is the camaraderie. Weather might be warmer too.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Hey Curt there's a few zillion more y'all missed! Oddly enough I took a series of pictures from the Lookout at Reynold's Bend that same day around 4 pm. Basically I was in the middle of the first landscape pic about 4 miles out looking right back at you guys...I have them somewhere. Glad y'all liked Lambshead.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #238 on: February 23, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
Great to see you back from the Sweat, Shaun!  Not only looking forward to great stories about that hunt, but wanted you to be around to talk about the gimpy-legged boar.

I originally ran across him when I was still-hunting along the river.  First I bumped a couple of 150 pound boars out of their beds.  I didn't see them until they stood up, as they'd been laying on the far side of a clump of bushes.  We played hide and seek for couple minutes in the thick stuff.  No chance for a shot before they tired of the game and headed straight up a ridge into a thicket.

The encounter made me even more cautious, hoping that I'd found the local hogs' bedroom.  I slipped along another fifty or sixty yards and through the grass and greenbriar vines
and saw something twitch.  It sure looked black and hairy, but I couldn't make it out.  It flapped one more time and I realized it was a very large ear belonging to a massive hog.  

Not quite sure of which way he was facing, I eased up to about 18 yards.  The wind was perfect - a steady breeze into my face, so I settled onto my knees, bow up, to wait for the hog to finish his nap and stand.  That didn't take long, though, as a mob of bluejays went berserk over something close to the river.

The hog jumped up and was into cover in a flash.  He relaxed pretty quickly, though, and through a screen of young mesquites and greenbriars I watched him scratch, flop his ears, and take a long piss.  There was something obviously wrong about his gait, though, and it became clear he was favoring his right rear leg.  

For about ten minutes I got to watch the big guy do his mid-afternoon routine.  It was a real treat to watch an undisturbed hog do all of his leisurely hoggy things, but there was always an arrow on the string.  I wanted to let it fly.

The boar ambled out of the thick stuff into an open lane.  He parked himself there in the warm sun, facing straight away from me.  All I could see was his backside, which looked the size of a #3 washtub.  The debate between my ears was loud and boisterous.  Two, maybe three times I started to draw, but couldn't convince myself to shoot.  

He moved back behind scrub bushes and snuffled around.  I don't what alerted him, but he stiffened and became aware of me.  With only three good legs to move all that bulk, he jiggled impressively fast up the steep slope into the thick stuff.  And I mean acres of "get on your knees and crawl" kind of thick stuff.
Not a place to follow.

Here's a photo of his bed.  I think he used it regularly -- maybe daily.  The bow is 64" and it almost fits...

I went back in there twice more over the coming days and both times came face to face with a coyote.  I suspect he was checking on the hog, too.

On the afternoon of the big snow, Shawn and I went back to that stretch of bottomland.  Shawn headed uphill while I made a loop along the river.  I found this:  

The big guy was out and about.  The tracks looked brand new.  After a few more steps, there were turds -- still steaming.  He couldn't be more than a couple minutes ahead of me.  Arrow on the string, fingers split around the nock, eyes ahead for movement.  God, it's good to be alive.

Another 100 yards and new tracks crossed the hog trail -- Shawn!  I could see that he'd stepped across the boar's tracks and immediately taken a right turn to follow them.  This is going to be good...  Go get him, buddy!

I took one more look around the creek bottom before heading back to the truck.  Shawn was there waiting.  Hard to say who was more pumped.  It's great to go a round with a big boar, but it's worlds better when your hunting partner gets in on the action, too.  

The boar was standing broadside on the upper bench when Shawn shot.  Not much there to help gauge the distance.  

TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #239 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Woody and Shaun    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

That hog must have been an old monster, lame leg and all    :notworthy:
Curt } >>--->   

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©