3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PIG GIG--Week 1 ---***SNAKE PICS ADDED***  (Read 6427 times)

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PIG GIG--Week 1 ---***SNAKE PICS ADDED***
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
Great Pictures Skyler! Too bad they can't really convey how cold it really was. K9 is right, the tent camping was an "adventure." Buyers beware; "All Season" means late Spring and Summer, LOL. I was lucky to have had Robtattoo as company- it took a real good sport to smile through this. Has anybody got a picture of my hawg?   Grant

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »

Here you go Grant

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Skyler great pics looks like you guys had a blast.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Just awesome pics..  

Even with the weather I still wish I had been there...

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Thanks Paul. Golly- it was cold. GY

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Tuesday morning dawned absolutely beautiful......gave us very high hopes for the rest of the week......

Chris Surtees...
•  

•  

•  

This is a spot on the river that at first when we found it didn't seem like anything but an impassible drop off.  But it's significance would come into play later on....
•  

Sheds that Chris and I found....the ranch seemed to be full of them....some real beauty's as well...
•  

The start of a 5 mile trip!!  Not fun at all!
•  

This is the spot just up from that impassible spot on the river. That morning Chris and I had put out a big red boar that went out accross the flat through the log piles.   I spent the afternoon on the bluff above this flat glassing. Hoping to catch something coming thru that I could sneak on.....
•  

Note the log pile that's almost center in the pic.  You'll see a change later on after some "doctoring"....
•  
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
•  

•  

•  

•  

Didn't see anything but deer while glassing....but we weren't done with this spot just yet.....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
Wow.  Fun stuff.  

I woefully would have nothing of that caliber to trade. :-(

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
Now this is what Trad Gang is supposed to be all about!  Enjoying the hunts of other members and sharing in the fun!  Looks great so far!

This ranch reminds me of some of the western Texas ranches I've seen Curtis hunt before.

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
Great story and pic's...keep it coming. Would love to make this hunt in the near future......  :campfire:
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
A trip to Texas has become kind of an annual event for my in the past five years or so.  All have been as a part of a Trad Gang group hunt, and this years assemblage was one of the finest I have had the pleasure of being around.  Just goes to prove that a successful hunt is not measured by the harvest, but rather by the company we keep and the memories made.

The first couple of days I couldn't seem to remember to carry my camera   :knothead:   so my pictures are missing some of the highlights.

My hunting party consisted of Tippit, Smiley, Hormoan, and Paul V.  On the afternoon of day one we were driving toward our assigned area when I spotted a couple of large hogs not far from the road.  Three of us took off to get in front of them while the other two waited a bit and then came in from behind.  The pincer move nearly worked, but the pigs slipped through the skirmish line without an arrow being loosed.  It was an encouraging start though, and we continued on.

For me, those were the last hogs I ended up seeing until the final day of the hunt.  The weather sure made things difficult, especially for an inexperienced hog hunter such as myself.

I hunted all week with a stone head crafted by Woody, hoping to get close enough to a hog to see what sort of damage this beast could do.  I mounted it on a cut off wood shaft footed into the end of a Gold Tip carbon.  Very traditional!

Woody's artwork is absolutely amazing, and to sit and watch him churn out a head is spellbinding.
Jeff makes some beautiful hand forged knives, and a Tippit blade is a fine piece of work.  But I think watching Woody may have ignited a new flame.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »
Being from Wisconsin I am certainly no stranger to snow.  But Texas isn't supposed to be like that, and I had anticipated this trip as a way to escape to some slightly warmer temperatures for a week.  Wrong again....

A highlight of each day was sharing a meal with everyone in camp.  The air was cold, but the friends were warm enough that it didn't seem to matter in the least.  As groups would filter in after dark the stories of the day would start to flow.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by PV:

Here you go Grant
I mean is this guy "Rico Suave" or what!

Good to meet you Grant, hope we can do it again!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 02:31:00 PM »
I vote Grant best dressed in camp!!!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
Seconded!  :biglaugh:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
thats cool whip  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
Paul had gotten deep into the hogs one day in mid week, and on our last day he took me in to the honey hole.  It was quite a hike from the truck, but finally I was into some fresh hog sign.  It wasn't long before I had one spotted ahead.

A large boar was rooting in a patch of prickly pear and seemed oblivious as I slipped closer.  I cut the distance to 17 yards with only one thick bush between us.  A couple of side steps to my right would open up a lane to the broadside beast.  The wind was good, but apparently it died and an eddy swirled back to give him a snootful.  He whirled in a flash and gave me a demonstration of just how fast a hog can run.

We eventually made our way to a cultivated field planted with what looked like switch grass.  It looked like a small bulldozer had been at work.  We saw one hog on the edge of the grass when we first got there, but he disappeared into the tall stuff and we never did see him again.

A break for lunch, and we split up again to resume the hunt.  I managed another blown stalk, and while I was waiting for Paul at a prearranged rendezvous spot I heard a big ruckus back from his direction.  I watched a sounder work their across the hillside, and counted six adults trailed by a group of nerf sized piglets.  I eased back in Paul's direction and found him working on a blood trail.  Just ahead we found his prize.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
Skyler and all,

Looks like a great trip!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by DW:
I vote Grant best dressed in camp!!!!!!
I thought Smiley had the best looking dress...  :p
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©