3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PIG GIG--Week 1 ---***SNAKE PICS ADDED***  (Read 6431 times)

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PIG GIG--Week 1 ---***SNAKE PICS ADDED***
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
I didn't mean to take anything away from Smiley....I'm sure it would be a tight race between the 2 of them  :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
There is quite a difference between being the best dressed and wearing the best dress.  

Not that there's anything wrong with that!  :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
Don, Skyler, Curt, Matty, Thomas and all the others there I wish that I could have gone. Looks like you made the best of it. Keep the pics coming.

Skyler man you getting ready to hunt some elk my friend.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Hey Randy ...wish you could have been there....and about the Elk...I hear about it about 2-3 times a week. He wants to talk to you about it...He's all about the hiking and Backcountry camping...His Scout Troup does one 15-25 mile hike about every other month. He'll be worrying you to Death about it before long...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2010, 03:40:00 PM »
Great pics and stories!!!!  Thanks for sharing!  Looking forward to more of this!   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
I thought Smiley had the best looking dress...   :p
The only one with LONG hair too....  :)  

Being new to pig hunting  and with limited access and hunting time due to the weather I figured I'd approach it like elk hunting. If there's no sign where your at keep the wind in your face and just keep truckin.......
A couple miles out from where we were parked the terrain allowed me back down to the river bottom where I found what Tippet later dubbed the "Golf Course"

The back 9

The hog sign was plentifull and there was the smell of what I thought was hogs.Been a LOOONG time since I slopped hogs. A short ways through the "course" I glassed a hog out grazing on grass. He moved towards the river where there was a dozen or more adults and quite a few "footballs" Stalked within 30 yards and decided to jettison the 30 pounds of corn I had on my back into a fork in a tree.There was a small black pig that was on the downwind side of the sounder.As I was stalking him a medium gray boar feed back towards me. As he dropped out of sight in a dip  I took a step and he came out of the dip and caught me out of postion. As the hog feed by me at 7 yards I tried a slow motion draw and sent the arrow over his back into the river. The hog stared at me for a second and went back to feeding.Got my feet turned around and another arrow on the string and shot him low behind the leg. The hog ran for 20yards and dropped.Cool I thougt as I wacthed hin for a few minutes. No sign of life so I picked up the arrow that passed thu him and shut the nock off. As I headed over to the hog he indead had some life left in him as he departed post haste. The bloody arrow was in my hand so it was sent on it's way and took him in the rear leg. About this time the rest of the sounder was alerted and departed . The gray boar made it for the first 50 yards or so then dropped again....

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Way cool stories!!!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
I tell you guys, Skylar Wilson and Chase Coots wore smiles and stayed enthusiastic throughout a week that would have had most teenagers demanding to go home and hiding in the camper. They're gonna wear out a lot of boot leather in the years ahead. I hope I can hang around long enough to see them do it. This was only my second hog hunt and its probably good that I don't have easy access to them around here- I'd be a hog hunting deadbeat. These things are so much fun to hunt I probably couldn't stay out of the woods long enough to work. Couple that with the kind of company we had in camp and its just too good. Curt- it was great to finally meet you and I sure hope we do it again soon. As for my "fashion sense" I had on everything I had with me that was made of wool,lol. Very cold. If Rob Peel hadn't agreed to let me hitch a ride, I would have flown and probably frozen to death. Those "just in case" cold weather items that I was able to take along really made the hunt bearable. I'm shopping for more wool right now. What a trip and what a group- it makes me feel incredibly lucky to have found a group like this-Thanks EVERYBODY- they are all special.   Grant

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
Cool pictures so far.. I want to hear about those snakes though.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Snakes. I don't care what they say, there ain't any snakes in that part of the country, especially when theres snow on the ground. Ha! Ha!   :banghead:    :jumper:

Offline Tim Hoeck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Sure looks like alot of fun

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
Great job on both the pictures and the narrative! Thanks again for one of those snake rattles Chase and JC! It was a pleasure to share a camp with everyone and meet such young men so well-raised as Sky and Chase. I'm certain your Dad's are proud!

Yeah, as I understood the original plan, the campers were supposed to be on the ranch itself with the cabin but a walk away. The weather changed all that and ultimately made the trek from the cabin undo-able for a couple of the nights. I'd had a very comfortable experience staying in one of Whip's generously loaned teepees last year and generally that would've been my preference but with everyone originally planned to have access to the showers etc. in the cabin, it didn't seem as though it would count much as a "primitive camping" adventure so I opted for a more comfortable bed. Little did we know how the weather would turn out when we booked it. I don't want you guys to think we didn't "rough it" in the cabin though so I thought I'd include some pictures:

OK, it was a little comfy, so I did hike for miles on the big snow day, no lie!       :D     Actually, I do think I missed out on some of the fun but hey, it was all good!

I narrowly missed a pig, put the stalk on a couple of others, but as someone once said: "just being there was good enough!" Truer words were never spoken for this trip and this group of people!

Oh! The cabin had no running water!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »

Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
why to go Grant nice hog bd

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Thank you all for the great read and great pictures!!Sounds like everyone had a great time too.
Thanks again for sharing with us.
God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2010, 06:26:00 PM »
I thought id be cold while watching and reading the cool thread, but I had my longjohns on ...  :saywhat:    :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »
Wow what a week, and I wasn't even there!!!

Congratulations to those who scored, but in a way everyone on that trip scored, memories and friendships can't be beat!!!

:clapper:    :clapper:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline bill langer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
Great job fellas-looks like an awesome time!

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Holy Smoke Steve,
You told me you didn't have any running water in your camp and I was actually starting to feel a little bad for ya'll...not being able to get to meals and no facilities.  That is until I just saw the inside of that Hole in the Wall Camp.

Wow, now that's the way to rough it! How did you keep the mud off the leather couch   :biglaugh:  tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for the pics and stories.Looks like everyone had a good time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©