3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Afraid to ask.....  (Read 679 times)

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
Afraid to ask.....
« on: February 16, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
What is it about longbows?  I don't own any (I went from one wheel bow to four recurves in a year) but can't get over the smooth lines.  Tradtuskers' beauty makes me shiver everytime I see the black beast in his hand.  Shrews' have me wonderin' if I could get used to the grip and now I see another Lost Creek creation that begs for a big broadhead.  Am I in denial?  Could I be a blonde lover who really is in love with red heads?
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Afraid to ask.....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
To put it short Longbow is Traditional,IMO.But the recurves are easier to shoot and the shortness makes for easy handling.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:26:00 PM »
I will tell you what I told Butch Speer... don't put your hand to a longbow... it's possible that you'll convert.
Butch now shoots longbows whereas he was a recurve man.
Each to his own.. I'll shoot both but the longbow is what I hunt with.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
I'd rather shoot a longbow any day and I can shoot  them better.

Don't fight it. Or else never touch a mild R/D with a vague locator grip... or you will be under the spell forever.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
aLL i HAD EVER HAD WAS RECURVES SINCE 1962, HAD ALWAYS WANTED A LONGBOW, FINALLY GOT ONE THIS PAST aUGUST. iT,S A cROW cREEK dALTON 64"  48# AT MY DRAW LENGTH. lENGTH GIVES ME A LITTLE TROUBLE SOMETIMES BUT i ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Have killed 2 deer and one hog with it so far.
bolong

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
I can see the classifieds now...For sale: MA II, SAIII, Tim Meigs Flight Hunter, Reflex Nomad, make offer or trade for four longbows of greater or equal value.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Online Wile E. Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
I dont know what bolong is drinking but based on the use of capitalization in his post, I'll have one. LOL
Wayne LaBauve

"Learn to wish that everything should come to pass exactly as it does."

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
I startted out shooting a longbow but now I shoot a recurve for speed, but my heart lies with those smooth lines. :D    looking at a treadway this spring......
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I'll take one also.  He is like me, I have to look at the key board to see the letters I want. When I look up and see the mistake I have made there is too much to do it over again....so just hit the go button!!!!

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I hunted all year with a recurve. I finally bought a longbow, not planning to hunt with it until the following season.

Three days later I was hunting with it, and for the first time all year I really felt like I was hunting. It just seemed right.

Got my first deer a couple days later and haven't looked back.

I'm a tall guy and they just feel perfect for me: quiet, simple, light, and just really friggin cool. lol
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
I'm thinking of visiting Tom Parsons of Kim Sha and need to prep myself.  The first time I called him about recurves he asked "Why not a longbow?"  I need to bring answers.

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
After saying " I'll never shoot those" I have to confess that my preference is the Longbow. Don't get me wrong ...I still love and shoot a Recurve. It's just that .... just that.... Dare I say it? I Love the Longbow. Not the Hybrids(although I might try one someday), but the slight R/D and the Hill style. There is just something about a true longbow that is absolutly addictive.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
I to am/was a die hard recurve guy. My decision to be that way stemmed from my first trad bow experience as a kid. I had a long bow and shot it for many years. It was like riding a unruly mule. It would kick you so bad your teeth would rattle. Anyway I thought all long bows were that way until I shot a friends Centaur. I then for a while told myself...Well I like a short bow for our treestand hunting in the thick cover around here. I then shot a short long bow and my mind was again changed.

I now don't consider myself a "recurve" or "long bow" guy. With my first new custom long bow on order I now go both ways.

Don't wait, give 'em a go.

T.J.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
Best to have both, and shoot both regularily--- Sometimes you feel like the recurve, sometimes the LB. I change back an forth several times a week.  They each have there particular attractions, and strong pts. As far as hunting goes-- over the last 30 yrs., Iam more inclined to grab the LB -about 70% of the time.--I don't spend much time in trees--may have something to do with it--though Ive shot plenty of deer from trees w/ a 68" LB. Iam glad I have allowed myself to enjoy both, and never have probs. going back and forth--takes me about 3 practice shots to find the groove. Iam not a big fan of the Hybrid R/D "Longbows"--Some of them are so radical they're basically a recurve in drag.IMO. I like my LB's straight, and my recurves curved--if you get my drift. Its a personal thang--try them all, no reason to marry yourself to one.

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
I started off shooting recurves, until I bought a used Thunderstick II Longbow and that was it for me. I like the low wristed grip on Longbows.

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 11:39:00 PM »
Two longbows to stay away from, Dick Robertson's Purist and Steve Schulz's American longbow.  Robertson will let you try one for postage costs, but be warned. They don't get sent back very often, if ever. You can look at the pretty pictures of bows in stock, just to mess with your head and your wallet.  I fooled him this last time, I ordered a custom from him with a slight dished handle.  There is magic in the Purist or the American longbow, but you have to shoot these like they are longbows.  Once you get the hang of the Hill form as taught by John Schulz there is no going back.

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 01:05:00 AM »
Big Jim makes a great longbow, buffalo bow is what he calls it.  Dad got one and it is a great shooter for sure.

In my two weeks of shooting it everyday I see very little difference in the shootabity of it versus my blackwidow recurve.

Unless that big Jim long bow is the anomaly, I think people over state the differences in the "traditional" nature or challenge associated with a long bow.

Also I am a utilitarian archer, aka I have a bow I shoot 100% of the time to get ready for The next hunts.  I don't understand multiple bows and especially multiple types of bows for anything but a backup hunting weapon.

That being said I would like to get another set of limbs for "what if", though I got a black widow to mnimize the opportunity for "what if's".  But I doubt I will ever be the collector a lot of guys are.  Different strokes for different folks.

Good luck in your hunting for bows.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't!
 Shoot what you like, try all that you can and have a blast doing it!
 I'm like KentuckyTJ I go both ways.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »
If I could make a Suggestion here, SiegeWorks Makes an Awsome LongBow, and the Prices are Great!!  :readit:   Just a Suggestion.  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 07:04:00 AM »
I like both longbows and recurves, but currently my Three Morrison Shawnee longbows are getting all my attention. They are fast, so quiet, and smooth.(light too!)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©