3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Clearing the mind  (Read 274 times)

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Clearing the mind
« on: February 17, 2010, 01:23:00 PM »
As Terry mentioned in a recent post, an effort to improve equipment will only take an archer so far. Ultimately the shot is up to the shooter and this is a sport of SELF improvement, as each bow, setup and body is entirely unique.

That being said, I'd like to hear from all of you what "ritual" or process do you go through to bring your mind into the stillness required to really be present and make the shot happen.

For me its a combination of prayer and breathing. When I get to the woods often times what strikes me is the contrast between the scerene, calm environment and the raging storm of thought after thought that plagues my mind. I assume it's the curse of modern man...
I give thanks for the opportunity to participate in the most basic and fundamental of human endeavor, breath deeply the air around me, and tell myself my worries and thoughts will patiently wait for me at the edge of the woods for when I return.

This "ritual" is harder to do when I'm practicing in my back yard, but regardless of where I am if I don't "check in" and take the time to calm the monkey head no amount of "talking myself through the shot" makes one bit of difference. When I'm conscious of breathing, when I feel the earth solidly beneath my feet, when I'm present enough to feel the texture of the bow grip in my hand and the string in the other - THAT's when I hit what I'm looking at, that's when I surprise myself with how much my muscles "know" what they are doing.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Clearing the mind
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
I too like to leave everything at the house.  A man cannot calm down and get the needed focus if he is worried about the 6 million things the world has to throw at you.  

Myself, I say a prayer, take a deep breath (usually get a cold chill), then relax and just enjoy all the peace and thearpy the woods have to offer.  It is good for a man to be able to do these things.

I try to be careful not to overlook all the woods offers us for beauty and education.  When my mind is relaxed and I am not thinking about life in general, that is when the effortless perfection of arrow flight always hits its mark.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Thats why I love stumpin, leave problems behind, enjoy natures beauty clear my mind and shoot shoot shoot.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 02:33:00 PM »
Same as you Juan, prayer and my last thought on a shot is "Pick a Spor". If I am in the zone, when I say this to myself and I am relaxed and at peace, I will see a bright flare at the point I am looking at, my spot so to speak.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I like others go to the woods to enjoy the peace. To be alone and enjoy nature.

UNTIL last year now I listen to 4 wheelers, loud rock and roll and constant shooting. The property next to where I hunt sold. The Morons have panties and bras tied all over their entrance gate and a big sign painted Boobs & Beer

The real topper was I have had a stand in a large Oak tree about 10 feet from the fence in a small funnel. This year I watched the neighbor climb into a newly placed ladder stand that is on the fence and I could almost pass my bow to from my stand. His answer Tuff I not moving..
PBS  Member

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
When I first go into the woods for a hunt, hike, scouting or whatever, I go just a few yards in and sit for a while.

I sit there with my eyes closed for awhile listening to the sounds, smelling the smells and just relaxing. Sometimes it only takes a few minutes and sometimes it takes longer but this is how I clear my head so that my mind can tell me to slow down and relax and be the predator that I am.

Once I have reached my zone then I know I can hunt properly, slowly, leaving the crazy world I live in behind me, and make the shot I need to if the oppurtunity comes. Silly? Maybe but it works for me and has since I was a kid.
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Great posts guys, thank you! AND keep 'em coming!

I knew there was something special about trad archers and I suspect we're right on top of what that special quality is in this thread...
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
NEVER allow any negative thought to enter your mind prior to the shot or in the process of executing the shot. You should be totally focused on one thing...I'm going to kill this animal. I like simplicity....   :readit:    :jumper:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Prayer and seeking to be in harmony with this wonderful world we've been given seem to be a common thread for many.  Me too!
Molon labe

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©