3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Hog Hunt on TV  (Read 738 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Hog Hunt on TV
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
Sportsmem channel PigMan show.

The guy is using a long bow. Don't know what make long bow, But it does look nice.

He missed the first shot at a pig and said "Well I'm No Fred Eichler"

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Hog Hunt on TV
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »
Well it started out with a long bow try. They moved over to hand gun. Still kool that they started with a trad Bow.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Man I hate when they do that. They can't admit the pig won.
Nothing worse than a "bowhunter" who switches over to a gun on the last day.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing Mr. Hoffman.

Leland

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
Me too.  I hate the phrase,"I am gonna try to save a tag for my longbow (or recurve or whatever bow they may have)."  No excuses, just hunt.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
Man I hate when they do that. They can't admit the pig won.
Nothing worse than a "bowhunter" who switches over to a gun on the last day.
Here Here!

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »
The last few years of squirrel and rabbit season I would go all out the last few days with a 22, but other than that I am exclusively bow only, even in the middle of gun season.  So I deserve it, lol.

If I was on a hog hunt there is no way in heck that I would switch.  I wouldnt even of had a gun with me, was it is side arm?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 05:09:00 PM »
different hunter with hand gun, but host (Pigman w/long bow) then shot a hog with a firearm...

Offline hawk22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
The longbow he had was pretty cool looking.  Too bad he didn't say what kind it was.  Maybe he'll use it on another show.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
I don't like it either when they can't bag something with a bow and at the end of the hunt use a firearm. Just shows how success oriented TV hunters are. Got to bag something for the camera or the products he is peddling won't sell. Sad!!!  :rolleyes:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
All so very true, but still Another show have some trad bow in it. The way trad bows are coming back, they had to show some of it... Not long and he'll do a full hunt with a trad bow.

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
That's just plain Lame. Glad I missed it.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 10:56:00 PM »
"Nothing worse than a "bowhunter" who switches over to a gun on the last day."  Really, Biggie, nothing?  I could think of lots of things worse

:saywhat:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
shooting a hog with a gun is like shooting road signs - what a coward.
Bow Only!
No Excuses!
<><
<-------------------------<<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Cory Mattson:
shooting a hog with a gun is like shooting road signs - what a coward.
Bow Only!
No Excuses!
<><
<-------------------------<<<<<<<<<<
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
A coward for shooting a pig with a gun? I didn't know it was about being brave or scared, it's just something that most of us Aussies do sometimes; we have rifles, and know how to use them. Sure, I like bowhunting better. Sure, it's easier with a rifle. But that doesn't make me a coward when the occasion arises that I go for a bangstick walk (these days usually with friends or family who want to hunt but aren't bowhunters). I love tradbows more than rifles. I know nothing about the TV show you saw, but I rifle-hunt occasionally, and I think that comment about it being cowardly wasn't necessary.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 10:35:00 AM »
In my view, none of us should be bashing our hunting brothers no matter what weapon they use.  We have enough division and enemies without creating more division by bashing them here.  

I totaly agree that if your gonna go bow, stay with the bow.  It is how I choose to big game hunt.

The show in questions won't be on TV long if they don't make kills for the show.  A show is a business and a job for the host. Sponsors make shows possible and shows with no kills don't do very well.  No kills = no sponsors = no show.  

I personally do not hold it against anyone who chooses to hunt legally with their preferred weapon in the appropriate season.  It is their right to do so.  

Am I a wuss or coward for shotgun hunting geese and ducks?  How about my 243 for coyotes that hang up at 200 to 300 yards?  Here in Washington it is legal to carry a side arm for self defense during bow season, does that make me not a bowhunter if I legally carry a 45 ACP to keep the human thieves from trying to steal my kill?  

Everyone is welcome to their opinions, but I have to say that in my view slamming other hunters or their shows for not hunting our way is not in the best interest of this site or our sport.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
This thread wasn't meant to bash anyone. It was meant to let others know that a Show like pigman, was showing a hunt with a long bow. There has been more shows using trad bows in it. Even if it is just a 5 or 10 minute part it's still using a trad bow.

Learn the arch of that bow Pigman and You'll tag a pig with it.. He was just over the back. Little more work and He'll get them with it..

Congrats on a nice try, It was good to hear someone in the TV hunting business giving out a shout to Fred Eichler.

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
A good hunter will take his or her quarry no matter the weapon of choice. A good hunter should know the effective range of their weapon and work to get to that distance. Just my thoughts. LCH

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Further, shooting-up road signs is a crime, and is up there with cutting fences, burning-out somebody's country, shooting water tanks, and shooting domestic animals. It is something that the lowest of the low do. It is my belief that the majority of pig-shooting firearms owners, at least in my country (and I bet in yours, too), are responsible, decent citizens, who are not criminals, and who would be insulted by that unnecessary comment.

I do feel somewhat cross about this.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©