3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestand hunting for the first time need advise  (Read 822 times)

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestand hunting for the first time need advise
« on: February 17, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
I am really thinking about hunting blacktail and Elk from a treestand this year but have never been in a tree before. Any advise/pointers in all aspects of hunting out of a stand. I am going to get a stand and hang it in my backyard so I can get familiar with being in it and shooting out of one. Thanks for any help
Bob

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestand hunting for the first time need advise
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
WEAR A SAFETY HARNESS!!!!!   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »
Get a really good safety harness and use it. I also like to run a climbing line and attach my harness to it with a Prusik knot for ascending and descending. Other than that, practice putting it up and taking it down, so you're comfortable with it's quirks and practice shooting from it at different ranges and angles.  

They can be a great tool, just depends on the situation.
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Offline Highlandwarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:57:00 PM »
Just dont fall!!!!!

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kevin L.:
Get a really good safety harness and use it. I also like to run a climbing line and attach my harness to it with a Prusik knot for ascending and descending. Other than that, practice putting it up and taking it down, so you're comfortable with it's quirks and practice shooting from it at different ranges and angles.  

They can be a great tool, just depends on the situation.
This is good advice.  With hang ons Ive used the climbing line with a climber I just use the strap from the climbing harness.  Also when I started I didnt care much for heights and gradually worked into appropriate hunting heights pre season in practice mode til I got more comfortable.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
The best tip I can give is scout, scout, scout.  You need to make sure of stand placement.  I almost always hunt from a stand.  I have learned that it is better to scout 3 out of 4 hunting days to make sure the set is perfect, than to sit in a stand for 4 days waiting on something that is never coming.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline nchunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 04:30:00 PM »
If you're going to use a self-climber, know that some trees (such as poplar, pine, oak) are easy to climb and some are too hard or slippery or for other reasons (such as shagbark hickory) difficult to climb.  And some are fine when dry but slippery when wet.  When using a self-climber you also have to really study a tree to make sure it's not leaning forward or sideways much, or you'll be miserable.  And wear a full harness from very beginning of the climb to the very end of the decsent!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 04:32:00 PM »
Besides the already given "Excellent" advice, I would recommend a big platform. Newcomers to treestands feel more comfortable in a bigger stand. Gorillas King Kong would be my first recommendation.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
A lot of my friends like to hunt trees right on or next to game trails. I personally like to get back off the trail 10yds or so. I don't care for straight down shooting. Also I feel you are a lot less likely to be picked up by being back off the trail.

If the trail is heavily used I like to have a couple stands set for different wind directions. Also try to keep from facing stand east or west to keep the sun from hitting you in the face. I have noticed from meeting friends at their stand even in camouflage on sunny days they or their bow stand out as the sun hits them.

If you use climbing sticks or steps use good quality ones. I have had some cheaper made ones bust and bend. Check the steps and climbing sticks for cracks frequently.

Wear gloves while climbing sticks or steps to eliminate leaving scent on them.

Clear shooting lanes in several directions.

Like other stated most important wear a harness not a safety belt.
PBS  Member

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Everyone pretty much hit on safety and they're all good points.

When shooting, pick a spot and aim low, esp when they're in closer than 15 yards. Your arrow will tend to hit or miss high other wise. If you have to shoot at a pretty severe angle (ex. straight down), bend at the waist, dont just drop your bow arm.  Good luck
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Chinook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Bob,
I would like to offer my 2 cents for your consideration.

1. Get your self a good safety harness.  The single most important item for tree stand hunting.  Look at something like the Hunter Safety System Pro Series Harness - at C's.
Also equip yourself with the Linesman belt option - this adds a lot of safety while climbing and while hanging the stand.  You can lean back to support yourself while climbing or hanging the stand - without the annoying fall backwards out of the tree.

2. If you do a lot of walking to and from your hunting locations - a light weight stand will be money well spent - wether it is in mountain country or Wisconsin swampy country.
In my opinion it is hard to beat the features, stability and weight offered by the Lone Wolf stands.  (And total quietness)
Assault Hang-on model weighs 11 lb.
Hand Climber w/ seat model weighs 17 lb. and folds flat - about 2" thick.
With the climbers you can strap or bungee your day pack on it, and use the stand straps to carry.  You almost won't know it's back there.
You can hunt along and if you find a good tree spot - climb, if you find a good ground spot nothing lost.

I used this set-up a couple times in Colorado elk hunting on public land.  I climbed a couple pine trees using the branches and hung the climber stand at the right height.  Worked very well for me.  And although I found the perfect spot over a beautiful wallow - the elk did not co-operate with the plan, and no shots were fired.

One additioanl accessory you should consider is a folding saw - because you will need to trim a branch or 2 somewhere along the way.
Good hunting
Chinook

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 05:01:00 PM »
everyone has nailed it and you have alread said you are gona hang it in your back yard to get used to it, that is what I was going to suggest.  When I first went into a tree I was filming a buddy, thank god because I would have never been able to shoot from one last year.  This year I was still filming a buddy but I had my bow too and I shot a squirrel from the stand.  Good luck
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:21:00 PM »
Practice shooting with lots of heavy clothes if you plan on hunting the late Blacktail season. I hunted from a stand quite a bit last Nov. and Dec., you get cold after several hours of inactivity, especially your feet! I wore heavy pacs with 100% wool socks and my feet would get numb after only a couple hours.

Good luck and have fun!
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Bob,I have never hunted blacktails and haven't had elk come in while in one but have hunted out of tree stands since I was a kid and I'm now 60.When we first started hunting out of trees,whitetails rarely looked up.I remember being 6'-8' up and whitetails standing a few yards away and being oblivious.After tree stand hunting caught on,that changed quickly and it was common for deer to look up.About that time,I started hunting a wilderness area that was foot travel only and there hadn't been much treestand hunting.I found that these deer also rarely looked up,just like the ones in my high school days.

The point I'm getting at is,when hanging a treestand,it is a good idea to keep it as low as you can get away with,depending on the terrain and animals you hunt.Too steep a shot angle can make a smaller target and may even make it impossible to get both lungs.And I think it is very possible that your animals may not be trained to look up yet.

When I set up for whitetails,I like a distance of 15 yds and a height of 14'-15',to my platform,hopefully with a tree trunk wide enough to hide my silouette.This isn't a radically steep angle.Not too hard to shoot and a good chance for double lungs.

It is even better when I can find a pine that has limbs around me to break my outline.That makes a big difference.Just make sure that you have trimmed anything(ahead of hunting time)that may interfere with your bow or path of the arrow but don't get rid of all your cover.

Animals where you hunt may tolerate a stand 10-12',especially if you have leafy or evergreen limbs that break your outline.A lower shot angle is a plus.You just have to find that happy medium between shot angle and staying out of the line of vision.

Hoofed animals have horizontal pupils.This means their field of vision is much wider than it is top to bottom.Like one of those wide angle scopes.The treestand takes advantage of that.

I didn't hit on the safety stuff because it was covered so well.It is first in importance.most accidents happen climbing up or down.If you hit an animal,we all know to give it time but also give yourself time to calm down and be 100% alert before starting your descent.

Your plan to practice from the stand is perfect.Learn to bend at the waist on steep shots,to keep your torso oriented to the target just like it would be when shooting on the level.

While you are practicing,you can find any possible squeaks or noise issues and address them.I carry a 25' piece of chord to haul bow and pack up and keep that on me,rather than leaving it at the tree as it will have some of my scent on it.

It's not a bad idea to have a plastic bottle or something to relieve youself in, to keep that off the ground around your stand.Just don't get that mixed up with the lemonade.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
I would recommend checking out "Precision Bowhunting" and "Bowhunting Tactics of the Pro's".  Both books have GREAT advice and tactics on all of that has been said here and more.  Everything from stand choice, scouting, placement, shooting, etc...

One thing I think is key is clearing lanes early before the season opens so the deer will be used to them.

And definitely get a harness.  All store-bought stands must come with a harness that is perfectly safe if you don't want to spend the extra cash.  Personally, I like the standard harnesses better than the spiffy vest harnesses.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
This sounds dumb but when beginning in your yard I would set the stand about 3' high. Get used to everything that comes with treestands: hanging the stand, wearing the harness, the seat and platform, leaning around the tree and shooting different directions. Then gradually move it up after practicing at lower heights.

Offline BowsnLabs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Don't feel compelled to hunt too high.  In my experience 12-14 feet is plenty high enough and by not getting too high, you are going to have better shot angles on game.

If you are trying to decide between a climber and a hang-on...I'd seriously consider the Lone Wolf hang-on stands with the climbing sticks.  They nest together and pack easily...if you want to carry a daypack just strap it onto the stand and sticks til you get into your area.  Depending on the foliage where you hunt, climbers can be restrictive by forcing you to trim too many limbs or by not fitting trees that are large in diameter.  The climbing sticks are lightning fast and quiet to put on once you get familiar with them and you can use them on trees with a lot of branches.

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
There's a lot of great advice here. I like to keep a small saw in my pack in case I need to do some additional trimming the day of the hunt. Having that saw with me this year allowed me to clear an additional lane, which ended up being the lane that I shot my deer in. Good luck.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »
I am going to use a hang on. Can anyone share some treestand tactics. Ex: scoutin tactis, trail cams, what looks like a good setup when you see one, etc..
Thanks
Bob

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Bob I started to share some tactics I use in the midwest but then I saw you are from Oregon.

I lived in Kelso,Washington until my late teens. So I don't think my tactics would work out there.
PBS  Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©