3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Most memorable miss?  (Read 1254 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Most memorable miss?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »
My most memorable Miss was a blonde with blue eyes who .........

Sorry, couldnt resist!
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
My first trad season. Also my first season in TN. It was all picture perfect from my childhood dreams of hunting mountains and cornfields with a recurve. I was sitting in some standing corn on the edge of a huge cut corn field on the TN River. I had watched these deer come out every evening at this spot. I had spent the entire year immersed in learning trad archery. Anticipation was high!! It was like my first season hunting deer as a kid! They came out on cue. The scene was like one out of a bowhunters dream, accept for the arrow flying over the big does back, right off into the muddy field.   :D   That hunt was a 10 out of 10! Killing the deer would have just gone into the bonus range.  ;)
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Well I have a lot of misses ha ha. I think that my most memorable would be one that was not really mine but rather an experiance I was able to share with my Dad. You can read the story here.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=082173;p=1
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
My first year with my recurve I snuck up to about 25 yards on a 140-150 mule deer. He had no clue I was there. First shot over his back and off he went. He only ran off about 1/4 mile and I watched him go bed down. snuck up to about 30 or so yards another miss! this time he stood and looked down the hill giving me one last shoot... yep another miss! Was my first solo trip and man did I learn a lot!!
Levi Bedortha

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
A giant mule deer, many moons ago. I saw him from a long way off, made a perfect stalk, got within about 15 yards, and proceeded to shoot right over his back. He bounded off and did the 'mule deer thing', stopping about 80 yards out and looking back towards me. In think he gave me the finger.   :banghead:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
 He bounded off and did the 'mule deer thing', stopping about 80 yards out and looking back towards me. In think he gave me the finger.    :banghead:  
I think I had a Mule Deer do that to me one time too.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
It was in the fall of 2000. I was hunting several miles south of Pagosa Springs close to the Blanco River basin. We had camp set up at 8500 feet. We were on the last day of our hunt. I was walking out to the area that we had hunted all week, about 1-1/2 miles north of camp. We have seen elk all week. I had even played peek-a-boo with a cow for about 15 minutes. We were both in opposing sides of an island of grass. We must have looked like a couple of mere cats bobbing our heads up and down trying to figure what each other was going to do.

As I was making the 1-1/2 mile march down a ancient logging road to the hunting grounds. I had a spike, large cow and a smaller cow step out in front of me from the uphill side of the road; Pause to try and make sense of what I was and then slip over the edge of the road into the pines below. Weighing my option, I decided to get aggressive and track the animals. As I stepped off the road and down the side of the hill, I saw the north end of the south bound elk paralleling the road. Trying to catch up I quickly lost sight of them. I paused to listen and then reflect. "What an idiot I must have been to think I could have chased them down". I made my way back up the hill to the logging road, walked about 50 yards in my original direction and stopped. I realized that this is where the elk had stepped out in front of me. I curiously stepped into the trees to see where they had come from. Standing on a 3 or 4 foot knoll with three 8 foot pines in a triangle around me, I surveyed the area, looking for signs of a trail or indications that would tell me that this was a well used route.

The silence was broken by the faint sound of a twig breaking. looking across a small hollow over to the ridge south of my position were standing those same 3 elk. Not thinking, not blinking, I carefully placed the arrow nock on the string. I picked a spot on the largest cow, slowly pulled to anchor and released the arrow in her direction. As if in slow motion, the arrow took perfect flight. Straight towards the intended spot. As the arrow reached half way, I saw a slight deflection in the path of the arrow. The arrow changes direction in mid flight and lands squarely in the middle of the cow's ham. The side of the animal turns red, she turns south and all 3 move over the ridge.

As I stand there in total disbelief, I reflect on what happened. growing in the bottom of that hollow were several 6" diameter Aspens. and on those Aspens were some small black twigs just below the main branches, not seen until now. I must have focused right through them. At the point were the arrow deflected, I saw one of those small twigs drop to the ground.

I was sick thinking about the shot placement. I tried to ease my own conscience by thinking that I might have hit the femoral artery and maybe she would bleed out quickly. I decided to wait a while before I walked over to check out the scene.

In the process of waiting, I heard a flutter. I turned to see what the ruckus was and there sitting on a log not 20 yards from me was a grouse. With another arrow in hand and the flick of the finger, I was on target and another arrow was on it's way. The arrow was true and the bird never saw it coming. center punched broadside form 20 yards. I don't think that poor sucker felt a thing. I was elated but my mind quickly turned back to the cow. Moving to the scene, I paced it off. It was 40 yards. That really surprised me. At the time of the shot I never thought about it. The shot looked right and I was confident I could make it.

To make a long story short. My lone grouse and I walked back to camp. I explained to the boys what had happened. We grabbed the game cart and made the mile and a half march back to the scene of the crime. Found the bloodied arrow not 50 yards from where she was standing. tracked her to a spot where she had laid down for a bit and then tracked her up hill for two hours. The blood had slowed to a trickle and then stopped. The light was vanishing quickly and the skies were rolling with black clouds. reluctantly, it was time to call off the search.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
Holy smokes, I would have died if I missed a full curl Dall Sheep!!!  The only thing I ever miss are small deer, rabbits and squirrels.  Man I don't feel so bad after reading this thread.
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline Morgan Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »
Probably the doe that I missed this year while my brother was filming me.
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me [some] venison;

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
I was a fresman in college at Marshall UUniversity, in 1970,the year the plane crashed and I was home for the weekend. In my stand right after daylight here comes a hugh buck right up the trail to me. The year before I had taken a large bodied 8 pt. 125 buck. With all the confidence in the world I shot right over his back. He ran about 10 yards and stopped,walked back and started towards my arrow. By this time I realized why I had missed and knowed how to kill him with this shot. As I was drawing I stepped on a loose board which almost threw me out of the stand. Needless to say that was enough foolishness for him and he hightailed it.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Would have to be a good 10pt. I shot right over 2yrs. ago from a treestand at less than 10yds.  :banghead:Just didn't pick a spot.He ran back down the hill about 15yds and stopped to look around a couple minutes and I was able to nock another arrow but just didn't feel right about the shot so I passed.He walked down into the thicket and I never saw him again.Kicked myself for along time over that one but just have to laugh and tip my hat to him.
Made out better this past season though when I managed to keep it together and take the 10pt. in my avatar.

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
This year the second weekend of bow season, I was out in windy, wet conditions.  Rain kept spittin' on and off and I couldn't hear a thing so I decided to still hunt out to a powerline cut and decide whether to keep hunting or go dry out. The powerline has a pretty good drop off at one point and I like to sneak up to that because you can see about 1000 yards.  So I'm glassing that and see a very large deer's butt facing me about 250 yards out.  Then he picked up his head and I almost fell over.  Monster 8 point.  I catch some movement at the edge of the binos which turns out to be an even bigger buck.  Now I'm shaking.  I'm in the wide open but they are far away, the wind is perfect and the ground is wet, so I decided to cut into the woods just off the cut and put on a stalk.  It probably took 15-20 minutes (I know, too fast) to cover the distance.  I spotted both of them through the trees and they had no idea I was in the world.  Right where I stopped a logging road comes out on the cut and I thought that would be my best option for quietly stepping back out for the shot.  I stepped out with a hamlock tree for some cover and decided to try for the bigger one as he was 10 yards closer.  Took a few deep breaths, said to myself "That's 30." Put my pin on him and sqeezed off the release and shot right under him.  NOT 30 yards I found out when I came back the next day with the rangefinder.  

Beat myself up for the rest of the season but it was an AWESOME experience to see what were probably two of the biggest bucks in the area, plus put a successful stalk on them.  Also learned to not leave important stuff home and to practice range estimation more.

I'm on the fence right now about whether or not to get rid of the compound and go all traditional.  I haven't deer hunted with my recurve yet because at this point my comfort zone on a live animal is 15 yards max.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline tyee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Mine came in 1991 I was 16 and was hunting with a recurve. My dad and I were admiring a two point blacktail a hunting partner had just shot when some one discovered that there was a forky and a doe about a hundred yard away feeding on some fireweed so I snuck with all the skill a a16 yearold could and got with in about 30 yards I had 55lb curve and some feather fletched arrows a selway bow quiver I drew and shot at the forky missed but wait he gave me second chance a miss wait a 3rd try miss 4th try MISS okay he crossed the road maybe I get closer yes at last 15yards MISS out a arrows my dad is behind me he hands me his kwikkee quiver 5 fresh arrows oh no vanes my dad shoots off a flipper 2 with vanes .I cant shoot those arrows. Give me your bow dad ,Dad hands over his howatt hispeed. arrow 6 MISS, ARROW SEVEN MISS, ARROW 8 MISS , ARROW 9 MISS ,and finally arrow ten miss. dad takes his bow back walks up the hill finds arrow 7 pulls it from a rotted stump . I am on the road and hear twang thunk dad yells watch out comin down the deer made it 20 yard and fell stone dead 15yards from the road. good work dad. By the way I am a Mch better shooter now but it was those early years that made me shooter and hunter I am today. So yes ten misses in ten minutes Ten minutes I wouldnt change for all the pope and young points in the book
bezaleel bow works
schafer
howatt

Offline BEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
How about funniest?

This happened the last day of last year's deer season.........I had been putting out some corn out near a mineral lick I have established in my woods, during the last couple months of winter.
I was up in a tree-stand on an in-coming trail when a doe, doe-fawn, and button buck came along...The adult doe picked me out and stomped, snorted, and in general threw a hissy-fit!! however, the button buck could have cared less. He went runnig up and started eating.. A VERY cocky squirrel up and smacked the little guy causing him to come trotting back and in my range.Last day....cold and snowy......lots of deer......and he's concentrating on the squirrel-----yep, he's gonna be dinner!! The whole time, mama was still throwing her tantrum----he'd look back, look at her, and look at the corn---he could care less!!  

So, I draw back, release, and let it fly>>>------->  only  to feel a hard tug on my collar---I had left my parka's collar unzipped and it had caught in the bow-string!!!  :knothead:   The arrow zipped by the little button's face, hit the ground, bounced up and landed on the deer's head, bouncing onto the ground!! The guy nearly did a somersault in mid-air  :biglaugh:  He ran back about 10 yds, just glaring at the squirrel and stomping---the squirrel is now barking at the deer for disturbing him---and momma is STILL p*ssed off!!

The little dude tiptoed back to corn, stole a bite, and ran back....repeat....repeat...for about 10 miutes more, giving the squirrel plenty of room!! He never did look my way, and I was laughing too hard to even try another shot!  :jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:
Ben
M.O.A.B  54# Thunderstick
Ancient Spirits 62# "Thunderhawk"
Browning Wasp 45#

"VEGETARIAN"----Old Indian word for "BAD HUNTER".

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2010, 02:04:00 AM »
Ben- now that you mention it; my best misses often result in laughing away the next shot. If you can't laugh about a miss- well your just not practiced in it enough  :)
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Many years ago in a far away land I was face to face with the big boss whitetail doe. I hadn't enough experience to realize that once she was aware of my presence, things weren't going to improve. I had drawn my bow prematurely, and she just stared. My muscles and nerves were screaming, but killing this deer was of course the most impoortant thing in the whole world. As she was slowly raising her right front leg I was realizing I must release or let down. When she barked and brought that foot to ground I completely lost it. I could hear my arrow rocketing heavenward straight over my head. Idid my best to cover my vitals cuz my grampa said "what goes up will come down". Sure enough that arrow ended up standing no more than 10 feet from me.
         Larry

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
Which one! The 400 class bull or 2 hour stock on the mulie that could hold his head up or...............  :banghead:    :banghead:    :biglaugh:

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I think I mean couldn't!

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »
'94 season in Wyoming's Snowy Range. I'm moseying down a dirt path, look to my left and there's a nice muley buck grazing along, paying no attention to me at all.  He was standing in the bright sun but the background was trees & shade, I was sure he was no more than 25-30 yards distant.  I draw my 64# Dye, released the 590gr cedar, and the arrow hits the dirt dead center but about 4' below the mark.  What the heck?  Did I drop my bow arm badly? In typical mule deer style, the buck looked up but didn't seem partcularly alarmed, then slowly meandered off through the trees.
       Come to find out when I paced it off the buck was nearly 50 yards away. My lesson? Lighting can distort judgement of distance.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
A few years ago I took a ground stand along a deer trail. It was on the edge of a large swamp and I was at the bottom of an oak ridge that had tons of acorns.
While sitting there a group of a 8 or 9 turkeys was feeding my was along the edge of the swamp. They got pretty close but before I could do much they turned and started back they way they had come. I tried a stalk but they kept just out of range. I made a quick move to get ahead of them and it worked. I waited as they came my way but they saw me and walked a bit deeper into the thick stuff in the swamp. As the first bird went by at about 15 yards I could see I would have just one opening to shoot thru. It looked too good to be true. In fact, as they went thru the opening they had to jump up on a log. Each turkey filled up the hole in brush I had to shoot thru. I waited for the last one to jump up on the log. All I had to do was shoot thru the middle of the opening and I would shoot thru the middle of the turkey. The shot was perfect...right thru the opening. However, the turkey did not act like he was shot. The arrow had no blood, no feathers and as I watched them walk away it was apparent the bird I shot at was unharmed. I am still scratching my head over that one.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©