3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hitting the weight room  (Read 947 times)

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
Hitting the weight room
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
I've spent alot of time working out. Just curious what some of ya'll consider the best workouts for shooting the bow?
"Relax and pick a spot"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hitting the weight room
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Good for you, Bama. I have been working out for years -- I'm an older guy. I think the cable row is especially great for archers. But really, any fitness routine is good for your ability to enjoy archery and the outdoors. You need strong triceps in your bow arm, good strong legs to hike through the woods, etc.
Keep it up. Staying with it is the key.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Honestly, archery uses pretty specific muscles in the deep back which control the scapulas... if one draw correctly... for instance... You may have seen John K Rambo at said Archery story point his 70# compound to the sky to 'break it'... this is WRONG.  One should be able to draw a bow straight back.  If not, its too heavy.  I checked out "Precision Archery" amongst several other 'coaching' books to use with my kids (I run an archery club at my school) and this is something I learned.  The best exercise is to get a bow that is a little heavier (5-10#) and do slow, methodical reps with it.  Most exercise physiologists confirm that between 12-20 reps builds strength and anything more build endurance.  Depending on your goals, you can organize your workout.  Aside from this exercise, simply shooting everyday, 12 arrows, will help.  Focus on form and slow methodical drawing of the bow. Other than that, push ups, pull ups, and a stable core (crunches, planks, etc...) will provide a great base the endurance of hunting and shooting the stick and string.

Hope that helps...

:archer:
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline split arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Good post! I normally shoot a bow weight of 50 to 55# and to build strength I have a bow that is 65#. I practice drawing it to anchor slowly and then slowly let it down. It is amazing how much of a difference it makes when shooting the lighter poundage bows. The muscles that you use for shooting bow are hard to work out in the gym. plus you look dumb drawing dumbbells to your face   :knothead:

Offline jonathan creason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Face pulls work the lower traps, rear delts, and rotator cuff really well.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Specific weights with recumbent bike daily 30-60 minutes. IMO, shoulder, neck, back, & triceps need attention for archery benefit. Legs & air also for hunting. Near season, bow exercises. PM for more.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
You might want to take a look at this thread. Lots of good info there.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=085035;p=1

If you look at the US Flight Champ Marlon Torres he does reps with his bow. He is pulling a 120# War Bow. Insane stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgyXYnfPFQc&feature=email
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline Bama Recurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I do like to lean over a bench and pull dumbell to the side of my face and try holding it for a few seconds between each rep.
Last time i was at the gym a guy asked me why was i pulling it to my face? He was wearing a backwards camo hat, so i told him i want to start shooting a heavier recurve.
He said, "What the heck is a recurve...?"
"Relax and pick a spot"

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
I've found the TRX trainer great for working out for a heaver bow.  H

Offline mjdglobal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 01:06:00 AM »
All upper body and core work will help.  I think rear-delt and back(especially rowing) exercises are beneficial for archery.  Try bent-over lateral raises, reverse pec-deck flyes and reverse dumbbell flyes for rear delts.  All back exercises will also help, but I think the various 'rows' are good for shooting.  Try barbell rows, seated cable rows, one-arm dumbbell rows, t-bar rows, leverage rows etc.  Have fun.  Don't get too sore before a hunt or a shoot LOL.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 01:18:00 AM »
I work out with a personal trainer 4x a week. Two upper & 2 lower body work outs. Was sick for quite a while and very weak. After two years and many ups & downs healthwise I have my strength back. He has told me that I have very strong tricepts and legs. Nothing I do with him comes close to shooting a heavier bow to get stronger with my shooting. I draw my heavy bow 50-100 times. Some just anchoring some shooting then switch to my regular bow. Feels light and easy to be consistant with anchoring and such. A combination like I do is the best way IMHO. I also bikeride 15 miles a day on days off from work when the weather allows.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 01:26:00 AM »
Do draw that bow 5-10 times. lift weights 12-20 reps, an rotator cuff exercises........
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
I started going to a gym last year,simply for over all fitness reasons.
I asked this same question,an you know not one of those so called pro's had a clue what I was on about or how to approach it.
So I bought a 60lb longbow just to make shooting my 50lb recurve easier.
Just a half dozen draw and let downs + a few shots.
Every second day and it's doing the job.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Panzer II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
I just started working out again on my bowflex

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 05:12:00 AM »
Kettlebells and using the time proven power lifting routines, squats, deadlifts, clean and press, snatch press. As well as pushups till I puke and as many pullups I can do.

When the weather warms up, it's trail running time.

All of that just to get one shot on a Whitetail.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 06:57:00 AM »
Push-ups.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Got2strum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 07:01:00 AM »
Body weight circuit training and pyramid workouts here. Throw on a weighted backpack or vest for more challenge.

Oh and for drawing the bow I incorporate some sort of workouts doing just that, drawing the bow.

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
I have been weight training through high school, and college athletics.  I also began competitive bodybuilding 2 years ago.  That being said, repping out 130lb dumbell rows will make it easier to shoot a heavier bow, but nothing can match the exact motion of shooting, like pulling a bow will.  Lift weights to improve your life, and look good.  Get a heavy bow and hold at full draw to increase your draw weight.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
Free motion training. Protect your joint by not overdoing it with heavy weight. I played football in college and my joints are wrecked. You have to take care of your shoulders and most people who pile on the weight have very poor form.

In fact I recently cut my training in half and started focusing on higher reps with light weight and perfect form. I do a lot of pushups when shooting at home between volleys. It helps!

Those large rubber tubes work great too. In all honesty...I've seen guys half my size shoot those heavy bows. I think a lot of it is how much you can take with your fingers.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I work out 6 days a week No heavy weights anymore just got over a shoulder injury that did not allow me to shoot my bow for almost a month! Added a lot more cardio (ellipical machine) to my workout and  this is the best I felt in years, never really liked cardio before, but I am sold on it now! I also started using resistance bands these work well to simulate drawing a bow, really works the back muscles!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©