3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: slow the pigs down with a pig puzzel  (Read 622 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
slow the pigs down with a pig puzzel
« on: February 18, 2010, 01:46:00 AM »
here is a tip that works pretty good.  if you intend to hunt pigs from a stand and over some corn, if is hard to get a feeder and stuff out ot the hunting site if you are an out of towner.  

if you can slow the pig down abit, it is easier to get a good shot.  try giving them a puzzel.  get a old used truck tire.  cut a good sized saplin off in shooting distance from your stand.  put the tire over the saplin.  make a scoop out of a coffee can and fill the inter tire with corn.  

the pig has to get his head inside the tire to get the corn.  he'll spend time diggin at it, kicking it around and around the saplin.

I got the tip from Wingnut.  He got to tip fromn someone down South.  If you need to use it some time be my guest.  works pretty good.  it will keeep them busy for a while.

rusty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: slow the pigs down with a pig puzzel
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 01:48:00 AM »
if you don't want to hunt over corn but want to spot and stalk, the pig puzzel will keep them in the area for a while as long as you top off the inter tire with corn every day.

Ya can pick them up on the way to and from the pig puzzel.

pig puzeel is cheap or free save the deer corn.  easy to clean up you mess after your thru.

rusty

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:03:00 AM »
that's pretty neat !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »
Pig puzzles, the funny never stops with you does it Rusty?(I remember the turkeys wingnut).
   That looks like a good trick, I have a good visual in my head of a pig dancing around that thing trying to get the corn out. Thanks
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:45:00 AM »
Actually Curtis showed us that one.  Works good and will get the pigs in position for a shot.  

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
here is another one.  "Madonna" says it works good.  a tube feeder made out of larger white poly water pipe.  It has a 45 degree coupling on the bottom.  the lenght is such it would just hold a 50# of deer corn.

The pig comes up and puts his head into the 45 coupling......that is his mistake.  Wingnut took four pigs in a week off the stand.

it would cost a little but but you could make one at the hunting site.  might get in truoble tring to carry it on a airplane.

rusty

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
One thing I learned about the stack pipe feeder is no matter how much you put in it they will stay til it's all gone.  Ended up only putting 15-20# in at a time to save money.

The mob would come in right after dark every night.  Anywhere from 5 to 20 pigs in one group.  All about 80-150 pounds.

Had a short ladderstand set at about 6 ft.  One night I shot a pig and they took off right at me.  One of the bigger pigs hit the ladder full on.  That was a surprise for both of us.  LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
Great tips,and great timing,for me.We are leaving in the a.m.I may have to give these a try.
Bill

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Well I needed a quart of oil anyway so asked the mechanic if he had a spare tire.  He pointed to a pile of 20..  Heading out on a hog hunt this afternoon think I will give this puzzle a try.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Thats a great idea. will definatly try that.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
Rusty, great idea with the tire! Good to see you sharing your experience with us.

You can do a similar setup by wiring one end of the PVC tube to the tree so that it spins around the axis of the tree. Close the other end too, drill a few holes at random in the tube big enough for a few kernels of corn to get through (you'll have to play with the hole size to get it right). Pigs will roll that tube around the tree just to get at a few kernels...you can really extend how long it will take to get rid of the corn. I also heard last week that guys have been known to make small separate chamber without holes with corn in it so when it was empty, the pigs continued to push it around because they could still hear corn in there.

Somebody also mentioned about using a pallet with a similar setup...pigs pushed the pallet around to get corn out of a bag wedged in the pallet.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
This is great! I have found some pigs south of me I been thinking of hunting. Last night I could not sleep and read Littlefeather's super duper hog info thread in the archives,got me pretty pumped. This just adds another bit of info for someone that has never hunted pigs. Thankyou sharing.

Online wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I'v got a tire but no hogs  :banghead:  man you guys are lucky.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
OK Rusty, let me get this right:

First a pig starts to nuzzle, then commences to guzzle, at the tire corn pig puzzle
Round the sapling he goes, trusting his nose, kicking corn with his toes
Aim above the truck tire, pick a spot and then fire, and if friends call you a liar
Take a pic sharp and clear, then pork loins with a sear, all thanks to Goodyear!

:thumbsup:

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 03:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by JEJ:
First a pig starts to nuzzle, then commences to guzzle at the tire corn pig puzzle
   :thumbsup:  
Fo shuzzle!!!   :goldtooth:
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 03:42:00 PM »
Yep if you think this is something, you gotta get him to tell ya how too do a raspberry corn hole.  It's Rusty's favorite pig trick.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 03:48:00 PM »
Mike, we brought post hole diggers to do that last week in Texas but wound up not doing it cause we didn't want to carry them the 5 miles in we needed to go by foot. Curtis has shown me pics of it's effectiveness...looks like someone set of a stick of dynamite in the hole after hogs get to it.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
very neat...here's another Curtis Showed me

You take about a 3 gallon Heavy plastic water/fuel container. drill 2 or 3 small holes in the bottom about 1/2" in diameter fill it with corn and then tie on a sturdy rope to the handle and then to the base of a tree.

the pigs will roll it around for hours trying to get the bits of corn that fall out.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Yep they just keep digging and digging like the energizer piggy.

Ilike the single spot things like the hole or the tire.   With the kick feeder they chase it around too much making for a difficult shot when you have 10 in a group at 6 yard at midnight.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
Now that's a cool trick!
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©