3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tying on Fur Tracers...Fly Tying 101  (Read 817 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tying on Fur Tracers...Fly Tying 101
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
I've had a number of guys PM me about tying on fur arrow tracers.  So here goes...Fly Tying 101 for the Trad Gang bowhunter  :)

I use cross cut rabbit strips (Zonker strips) that you buy at any fly fishing store and a fly tying thread bobbin.  This is just for demo as I normally add my tracer fur after I've fletched my arrow.

I secure my arrow shaft to the table and wind on a thread base.  This gives the rabbit fur a good gripping surface once wound around the shaft.

Now just tie in the end of the fur.  I'll usually clip a little fur off the rabbit leather so the thread digs in to better secure the end.  Then wind the thread back to the staring point.

Take one wrap of the fur around the arrow shaft and wrap the thread over the strip to secure the end again.  If you are having problems with the fur getting in the way just wet your fingers and slick the fur to the shaft.  Clip off the remaining strip, tie the thread with a few half hitches or whip finish as you would finish off a fly, and seal the thread.  I use finger nail polish (Hard as Nails) cause it dries quick and that's what I use to seal my finished fly heads...but any glue or lacquer will work.

Finished...quick and indestructible.  I know you can glue on these strips but I've found they don't stand up as well on pass thru shots on targets...be it foam or the real thing.  I like the fur tracers cause I can use dark/camo fletching feathers and still see my arrow in flight even better than bright feathers.  Doc

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tying on Fur Tracers...Fly Tying 101
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Very cool bud, this may be a dumb question but why do people put these on? Is it to watch the arrow flight?
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Like a tracer bullet...

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
Robhood23,

For me anyway...

1)  I can see my arrow in flight better than bright feathers.  It's like watching a snow ball in flight.

2)  While still hunting, I've had hunting buddies say they they couldn't see me...but your Bright Feathers on the bow quiver shined out like beacon.  Now I don't think game animals see that...but I'm not taking any chance of it.  

3)  A lot of guys that also think this way will use fletching covers on their bow quivers.  For me they just seem to get hung up in thick cover.

4)  I also like natural turkey and goose feathers that are hard to see in flight...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
Thanks Doc!  i always used glue and ended up with a mess!  Thanks for "How to".
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:03:00 AM »
Been a few years since I tied any flies! Went and dug out the fly tying box, no rabbit so I am gonna head to the store and give this a shot! Always fun trying something new. Thanks for sharing Doc!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Jeff Romans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:12:00 AM »
Great picture tutorial.  I've tied a lot of flies and fletched a lot of arrows but never thought to cross the two hobbies.   Thanks for sharing.
Tight lines and shoot straight

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to do the post.  I plan on doing a couple and give them a try. Next stop bass pro I like that little bobbin.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
Thats a great way of adding some tracers,makes those barred feathers more visible,nice job!

Offline Montauks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Thanks for the tute, I'll have to try that method
What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.

Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
Most excellent Doc    :notworthy:  

I just happen to have hundreds of dollors worth of fly tying equipment and supplies up in my attic that I haven't used in years.

This will be a fine addition to my arsenal when I get my self bow built and wood arrows with Doug Campbell Damasus trades and Woody Blackwell stoner's with nat. turkeys feathers. This will be a very natural addition to those arrows.

It's all coming together nicely...Good stuff bud!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 12:24:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:

Excellent tutorial Doc!  I hope doing a few will rekindle my love of tying flies!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Been using fur tracers for years Doc... of course not by your method... which seems very handy!

I too love natural turkey feathers but they are so hard to see in flight that I'm reluctant to shoot one at an animal without the tracer.
Sure makes confirming the hit A LOT easier.

:wavey:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
Very cool! Just last night I did up a couple with super glue and it  got messy real quick! Will have to give this a try.
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
ahh bonding two of the most relaxing things in the world together.  Fly tying and archery!  Awesome, I am gonna have to give this a try.  I always thought that they will slow down the arrow, but the more and more I think of it, I disagree with myself, it is just rabbit fur.
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
Chris...relaxing? I tried tying some size 22 elk hair caddis for a trip into the smokies for small brookies this spring. The words that came outa my mouth and then the scolding I got from my wife led me to believe I wasn't relaxing!  :)  Now archery...that's relaxing! Thanks for the idea Doc! I got a rabit mask to tie hair's ear nymphs that will work great.
Mike Davenport

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Wapiti792,
That rabbit mask for hair's ear nymphs will only work well if it was soft tanned.  Most of my rabbit masks are raw hide and thus too stiff to wrap around the arrow shaft. Plus they are usually natural/dark color defeating the purpose of bright colored tracers.  You can pick up the cross cut rabbit cheap and in multiple colors.  One pack will tie up a lot of arrows.  Also you can use marabou but it doesn't hold up as well as rabbit.

I hear ya on the small flies...means Big Magnification and NO rough/hang nail hands to snag 8/0 thread for me   :knothead:    I much prefer tying up saltwater & salmon flies...Doc

PS:  I just happened to find this wild hook mouthed buck Cains River Atlantic Salmon on the end of my spey rod with one of my own designed flies...Errrr I meant to say while I was scouting for deer/bear sign in New Brunswick, Canada this past fall.  Moderators if you don't believe this, I understand the deletion  :)

TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
bear eat fish don't they. Looks like good bear sign to me  :bigsmyl:
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Great idea thanks.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:00 PM »
Cool, Doc.