3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shooting Cock Feather In???  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shooting Cock Feather In???
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 06:38:00 AM »
The only thing that scares me about shooting with cock feather in is the rift on wood arrows. The way I set up my arrows I set them to break away from my hand versus into my hand as TJ Conrads illistrates in his book.

As I said earlier I use cock feather in when I have an arrow that won't fly
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
It's true that you'll get less wear on feathers if you don't crowd one down in the corner.
         Larry

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Wow I would have never thought of even doing it. But I get the same wear as Guru, I know what I am going to try today.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
In 'PeteA's' first thread, he says that it helps him with string contact on his nose.  This is a big problem for me.  Can someone explain how shooting cock feather in will help alleviate string to nose contact?
Ken Thornhill

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2010, 12:37:00 PM »
Kat,

PeteA here. When I shoot CFI the 2 hen feather are facing out away from the the side plate. When I come to full draw and anchor (middle finger to corner of mouth-I shoot split finger) the top hen feather touches the very tip of my nose. That touch gives me a second anchor reference point. That feeling is also  just enough to keep my head aligned and not turning in that fraction of an inch to get the string contact with my nose. I can duplicate the touch on every shot. It gives me one less thing to worry about. It seems that it helps everything align better for me. I see a noticeable difference in my group sizes at 17 yards. Going to shoot at 20 at a range tomorrow.

Give it a shot.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline DGEsposito

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 12:52:00 PM »
I shoot cock feather up I rotate my knock .I use velcro for my shelf and my side plate and leave a channel for the feather quill to clear I have found this to be easier on the feathers and obstuuction.

Offline JDL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Can someone explain how to do the talk test on the side plate?

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
I will let you know after I try it.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2010, 12:54:00 AM »
I try to use cock feather up, but shoot predominately woodies and bamboo, so no chance of adjusting arrow nock for clearance after glue up. With a couple of my bows I find consistency with cock feather in. I don't use the fletching for anchor so don't have a problem with changing from up to in when need be.
At first CFI seemed a bit unorthodox to me, but it has worked, so I use it. If my hens look to be riding the rest upon release, I'm shooting cock feather in.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline zip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
I've always shot cfo, but I'm going to try cfi next saturday at the indoor range.

Offline Dan Joynt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2010, 10:46:00 AM »
I have always shot cock feather in.  I was getting to much contact on the lower hen feather when the cock feather was out.
< limbwalker

Offline Zipperhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2010, 11:37:00 AM »
I shoot cock feather in.  My bows shoot the same both ways, but I have less wear on my feathers with this style.

Offline KEG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
I bare shaft tuned my bow to shoot like darts. After fletching the shaft I shot the arrow CFO and it porpoised badly. I turned the shaft CFI and it flew great. I raised the nock and the the arrow flew great CFO. This was also reported by another archer here on TradGang.
Ken

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
cock feather in since 1970 when using RW feathers. Using LW, my bitz is setup that the one hen feather is already in the 12 position. Got the cock feather in advice when I spoke to the late Jack Howard...
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Reaper TN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2010, 08:04:00 PM »
I'm pretty new to traditional archery, and my first recurve had a NAP flipper center rest on  it. I shot vanes and feathers just like I used to shoot on my compunds, cock feater out.  When I changed bows and started shooting off the shelf, I noticed after about 15 or 20 shots my bottom hen feather was really starting to wear. Read about shooting cock feather in, no more feather wear.  I have not noticed any difference in accuracy.  Wouldn't shoot any other way now.
TT Pinnacle II  45# 62"
Hoyt Excel  50# 64"

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
On most of my bows it doesn't seem to matter much unles it's a broadhead arrow. Then for some reason on some of my longbows the flight is better with the cock feather in.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
One feather goning across the bow gets better flight than one hitting the shelf and side plate at the same time.I turn my nock so only one feather touchs where shot.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »
I'm a lefty, I shoot mostly right wing feathers, but also have some arrows with LW. Most of my arrows are 4 fletch, but also have a lot with 3. I shoot em CF in, CF out. Doesnt matter in most cases, but some seem to shoot better CF in on certain bows. If I shoot one and it fly's a little wierd, I spin it around and shoot it CF in.

I do remember when I first started shooting, I tried CF in, and it did tighten my groups up considerably. More often than not when shooting a 3 fltch arrow,  shoot CF in. I think bow tuning has a lot to do with it. If your bow and arrows are matched well, they shouls shoot good either way.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
I also shoot left-handed with 5.5 inch right wing helical feathers.

I have shot cock feather in and out but prefer shooting cock feather out with the nock rotated slightly for better clearance.

I have been using the feather to the nose as a second anchor point for years and that is the best position for me. We are all built differently.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2010, 12:26:00 PM »
Don't really see a difference with my centershot recurve, but get better flight and a lower nock point with my non-centershot longbows with cock feather in; less hen feather wear, also.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©