3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Practice range vs. hunting range  (Read 967 times)

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
Practice range vs. hunting range
« on: February 18, 2010, 05:16:00 PM »
Just wondering how far your practice shots are compared to shots you would take while hunting. I practice out to 30, but 20 is my max for hunting. BTW, my 30 yd shots are terrible, but 20> seems consistent.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Practice range vs. hunting range
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »
Usually I practice 10 yards more than I would shoot at a live animal.

Practice to 30 for a 20 hunting shot.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
some of my practice shots are up to 50 or 60 yards, while my hunting shot are 30 yards or less.  Unless it is a squirrell, then anything goes...
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
I have my targets set up from less than 10 yards to up to about 22 yards. Very rarely do I shoot longer at home.

When I go to trad shoots I let 'er rip at all sorts of ranges and really enjoy the 100+ yard long range bombing.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
Practice out to 50-60 but most at from 25-40.  Hunting range would be around 30.  Depends how I am shooting and the feel.  Mule deer and elk aren't nearly as jumpy as whitetail.

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
I keep game shots under 25 as a rule, but I practice out to 50.  I think it gives me a better idea of trajectory and I don't want the hardest shot I try regularly to be at game.

Dave

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »
I practice as far as 80 yards (NFAA field course), but the majority of my shooting is between 20 and 50 yards.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
I practice 5-35 and sometimes throw in a Hail Mary or to.And usually have the kids out playing,I figure if I can focus and make a shot with that noise I can make a better one in silence
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
I practice out to about 30 to 40 yrds. I set up 12 oz water bottles at those distances. My hunting range I keep to 20 yrds and under.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
I practice on a field range alot I keep pretty go groups out to 40 yards but will shoot 60 to 80 yards at times when feeling brave. One of my fravorite events is archery golf so I let them rip as far as I can its just fun to watch the flight. Local 3-d events are set up for wheelie guys so I will always have a few shoots out at 50 to 60 yards,but I will use the old rock chuck arrows from the shooting position then step up for realistic practice. Hunting I like the arrow to hit them before the arrow leaves the bow. I might shoot as far as 25 yards or so depending on the animal and conditions.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
i practice from 7 to 25 yards as i sure as hell dont hunt anymore than those ranges. but at the club anything goes from 5 to 100 yards  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I usually practice 15yds and 20 yds, our 3d tournaments are maximum 25 yds, well mts but it is about the same. So hunting for me is 20 yds or less
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
During the winter I have no choice but to work on form practicing in my basement at from 1 to 13 yards . I do all kinds of shooting exercises.

When spring comes and I start shooting outside I shoot my best of the year. It is then only a matter of a few days for my brain to calculate all distances again.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
Practice out to 40yds. I spend most of my time somewhere between 10-25 yds. Hunting shots: deer max 25yds, elk out to 30yds, rabbits maybe 20yds, milkweed...100yds +.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
This is an interesting thread. I am with Dave on this one in most respect. I shoot a lot at 40 plus. Some of the shoots that I go to have shots that are 55-60. I think that there is somethingto be learned by shooting far in a practice situation. Plus it will make that 18 yard shot on a deer feel like nothing and allow you to relax.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
I practice all kinds of ranges, but mostly out to about 40 yd.  I find stump shooting to be the best gauge of my effective range.  One shot at a time spaced out at unknown range is a better indicator for me than pounding away at targets shot after shot in the back yard.  Actually my overall consistency is much better stump shooting than repetitive group shooting.  The range I can shoot every focused shot into the kill zone stump shooting style is about 5 yards farther than I shoot on game as a rule.  I hunt white tails, and they can do to much moving to take a chance on marginal accuracy.  Throw in the wind, terrain, a moving animal, and pounding heart, and there is no way I can say my solid target range is good enough for live targets.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 08:11:00 PM »
17.5 - that's as far as I can back up in the basement without breaking my elbow on the wall.

Used to be able to get an honest 35 until I finished my daughters room. I made some noise about and extra door in her room - So I could still shoot in the winter - that got shot down in flames.

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »
as far as i kick the ball. i kick a ball around and shoot it or at it where it stops.  somethimes its very far but as for hunting nothing over 20 unless everything is perfect and i just feel it.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I shoot up to 40 yards but I would in no way take that kind of shot on game. I like to keep those shot's 25 and under if I can. I feel the most comfortable at that range! Jason

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Shoot as far or as close as the stumps are.  Shoot to 35yds in the yard.

I have taken two shots at game with the curve.  A thirty yard shot spot and stalk on a mulie doe and a 60" spot and stalk shot on a javie.

Thirty-five is my hunting max as that is my point on and I am very comfortable there.  

Before kodiak in August I hope to be ready to shoot 40 or so.

But I break all the rules and use a rangefinder...
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©