3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Korean bow and arrow  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
Korean bow and arrow
« on: April 21, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
I bought the bow in Korea in 2005 and the arrow was given by a korean archer.I just wanted to share with you guys.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline ux monster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Korean bow and arrow
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
Nice looking bow and arrow,very traditional.Good looking form to,thanks for sharing.
I hunt because thats the way its supposed to be not hunting upsets the balance of my nature.

Offline Kevin Breaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 12:51:00 PM »
WOW an original, great find Gil!

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Hey Gil nice bow, looks like a shooter.  Do you hunt? That looks like a nice bow to take a walk with in the forest. Thanks for sharing, it's always nice to see some of the more exotic bows that people are shooting on this site. Could that be an aratiles or maybe a chico tree behind you? Very cool!
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Tilbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 01:15:00 PM »
Refreshing to see something different here. Take good care of that bow.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
Neat bows...the original parallel limb technology ha ha

Tell me more about the arrow. Looks like  laminated bamboo? What is the tip made out of?
Are those turkey feathers for the fletching?
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
Kevin,Its not really the original all natural material korean bow,its fiberglass and carbon with wood siyahs.Tha "original" is way more expensive and useless to me since I would not be able to use it in the humidity here in the Philippines.The Koreans use these bows for practice and also use carbon arrows.The "original" bows are stored in a temp. and humidity controlled cabinet in the clubhouse at the range.The bows are tillered over an electric stove everytime it is used,when taken from the cabinet, the tips are way past contact point and they say the poundage of bows usually go up in the winter.
Deadsmple, the tree behind me is an atis,the english name escapes me right now.I do have an aratiles at the back of where i am aiming at.How did you come to know the local trees here.Have you been here.I am a hunter but havent had the chance to bowhunt yet because there is no opportunuty yet  but I do get to bowfish a lot .
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 12:46:00 AM »
Ferret, The arrow is made from some kind of cane ,the fletch I thought at first were made from turkey feathers but they are very thin compared to turkey's so I think they are from smaller birds, I asked the archer that gave it to me but he doesnt know the english name of the bird.I also cannot seem to see any quill on the feather.The point, I was told was made of spent bullet casings and is shape that way because their arrows bounce off their 120 meter targets and are scored as either hit or miss.Their target if made of stiff rubber and an arrow that hits bounces off and there is a black residue on the tip and just lays on the sand around the targets, the arrows that miss dont have this residue and are partially buried on the sand.The front of the nock is wrapped in something that is clear and I dont know what it is.Their shooting range is very nice with a pond in the middle withe a small bridge on its middle but I didnt have a camera with me when I was there.I also have some bows from Aeta's of mount Pinatubo and a bow from southern Philippines that is made of thick walled bamboo with a four foot (length that is) made of cane that only has one node. Ill post some pics later  because they are at my fathers house.
Thanks for the compliments guys.

Gil

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »

Here is a pic of a node on the arrow.Thanks.
Gil

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Great pics of some cool gear. Thanks for sharing!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »
If we go by the Korean arrow making video that Bluelake produced, that arrow should be made of bamboo (sasa coreana, I think).  The fletching is pheasant and the point is brass.  The clear stuff wrapping the nock is sinew.

The Koreans do make nice arrows, I've been meaning to reproduce some for my use.

Offline Ray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Neat stuff,thanks for sharing.

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gil:

Deadsmple, the tree behind me is an atis,the english name escapes me right now.I do have an aratiles at the back of where i am aiming at.How did you come to know the local trees here.Have you been here.
Hi Gil, yes I have had the good fortune to travel to your beautiful country many times in the past. I was last there for the 1999-2000 Christmas season. In fact I met my wife there in San Pedro. Where in the Philippines are you? I would love to try some bowfishing there next time I get the chance to travel. My mother is from Pangasinan and my father is from Nueva Ecija but I usually stay in Makati when I travel there.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline bluelake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
Gil,

I agree with everything that Sal said.

So, you have a Korean club in the PI on Mt. Pinatubo?  Are the members Korean, Filipino, or both?  Do you or your members have any plan to come to the World Traditional Archery Festival we will have here in Korea next month?  It would be great to see you here!

Thomas

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Deadsmple,I am from Bulacan, its just north of Manila.My father in law is from Pangasinan by the way.E mail me the next time you get a chance to travel here.My wife and I are also planning to move to the states(she's an RN).

Bluelake,How I wish that we have a traditional archery club here.I have been interested in bows and arrows eversince I was a kid and try to collect as much as I can.The reason I was in Korea(Goesan) was that I am part of my country's national team in archery and we trained for two weeks at the Coach Kim Archery training School and there was also a Korean archery Club there.I have just been there also as I joined the Meteksan archery world cup held in ulsan last April 1-7.I am a competeitor in Hitech archery but have much more fun and interest in traditional archery and hunting.I would like to be there at the World Traditional Archery Festival but time and resources probably would not allow.I sure wish I could get a chance to meet you someday.
Thanks,
Gil

Offline bluelake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 11:33:00 PM »
Gil,

It's too bad we couldn't have touched bases sooner, as you could have applied for a grant from the organizing committee to attend the event.  Please be sure to contact me the next time you might be in Korea (goongdo at hotmail.com).

Thomas

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »
Thomas,
I will keep your e-mail at hand and will sure contact you the next time I visit Korea,I surely would have applied for a grant if I have known sooner.It's really a dream of mine to participate in such an event because I have a real interest in trditional and primitive archery and almost took up anthropology in college.I did volunteer work after the Pinatubo erruption just to be in contact with the Aetas and am now trying to coax a few Aetas to take me hunting with them.Well, the future seems bright for us all.Thanks.

Gil

Offline hs6181

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 03:30:00 AM »
Gil,
Thanks for posting, very cool bow. I hope you dont mind me telling everyone, I clicked on Gil's profile and this same pic is huge, you can really see the detail on the bow, much more to see than I thought.
I'd love to shoot something like that.
Harold

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
Harold,
Thanks for the compliment.Three Rivers sells this bow also, its on page 74 of my recent catalog#22, 2007.It looks to be very similar to mine. Thanks.
Gil

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Gil....
Nice bow and arrow....
Have you tried the thumbring for a release yet....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©