3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Colorado Bighorns and Goats  (Read 3252 times)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
Colorado Bighorns and Goats
« on: January 07, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
Hey Gang,
   how feasible is it for a nonresident to obtain a bighorn sheep or mountain goat tag in Colorado? How many years are you looking at applying before getting one? How about New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana...? From looking at the Colorado Division of wildlife site, not too many nonresidents get a tag. I'm not sure how many apply, but I am just wondering if it's even worth it. It would also be interesting to hear experiences from anyone who has done it before. Thanks for the info fellas, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Colorado Bighorns and Goats
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
It's worth it if you draw!

In '98 I drew a Mtn Goat tag as a NR and had a great hunt.  You will need three preference points to draw so it's not possible for you to draw until 4 years from now.  I think I went one or two years after hitting three points when I drew.

Idaho probably has the best odds of getting a goat tag BUT you have to buy a non-refundable plicense for around $100 just to apply.  At least it was this way around 6 years ago when I last applied.

A better way to get a tag MAY be to buy a raffle ticket from the various organizations such as Rocky Mtn Bighorn Society.

Or, you can do like I did and just move to Alaska and hunt goats every year!

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:22:00 PM »
Thanks Steve- I'd like to hear about some of your goat hunts if you wouldn't mind.

Anyone else have any info. Take care, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
You can read about some of my goat hunting in TBM about three issues ago!

I just noticed you are a student.  HS or college and if college what is your chosen field?

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:27:00 PM »
mm,

It is feasible; but it is also rare and expensive.  Like Steve H. said, you have to apply for 3 years in CO before you have a chance.  All the other states let you have a chance, albeit a microscpically slim chance the first year.  Some states have preference points, some bonus points, NM and ID are pure random draws.

You could always do like Steve H--move to Alaska and you can hunt sheep and goats every year  ;)

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
So after the three year wait period, how long will it typically (on average)take to get a tag? I'd really like to hunt them one of these years(probably not for a few years, but I figure I could get my preference points if I need to in the meantime) and I'm trying to find the best place to take a shot at for permits.  

Steve H.- I am a college junior and am majoring in Biology with an Organismal concentration and a religious studies minor. How can I get a hold of those articles? Any other good material on sheep and goat bowhunting?

Thanks for the info fellas. Take care, Matt

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
There is no way to predict when you will draw a sheep tag...unless you have been applying in Wyoming since 1995  "[dntthnk]"  .  Everything else is lottery odds.  BUT, you CANNOT draw a tag if you do not apply.

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
There are some units in Colorado where a NR can have "Odds" as good as 1:7. That's pretty damn good considering you're looking at a sheep tag. So, get your three points needed to even get in the draw, and you're looking at a very good chance at hunting Bighorns.
How I love Colorado!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
After all that rowing I'm still waiting to hear about the elk gulch or more likely the areas for bighorns Chad!!!   ;)

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 01:45:00 AM »
Matt,

My article was in the Oct/Nov 2006 Trad Bowhunter Mag but there routinely is sheep and goat articles in TBM.

Get a job in Alaska when you get out and you'll be hunting sheep and goats in 3 seasons.  That's the only SURE way to get tags!

Online HornHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
as has been said you have to apply, but it is a chunk of change, sheep in CO 2006---1,659.00
goat in CO 2006-------1,659.00
and you must send in the full amount even for a preference point

the thing to do is set up a seperate bank account with just app money, you will get all but 3 bucks of it back, that way you have the money on hand every year, after 3 years you can draw anytime ,one of my buddies in IL. has applied 17 years and not drawn, other people draw there 4th year

steve is correct buy raffle tickets at 25 a pop you have as good a chance as anyone and you can hunt any sheep or goat area

I won the goat tag in 1990 and took a fine billy the second day of hunting
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to my mashed potatoes!

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »

Hope this whets your appetite!  Just outside of Georgetown back in 83

Dan

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »
Take Steve H.s advice and just move to Alaska.  Sounds like you have the degree for it.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
You mean all I need to do is move to Alaska... piece of cake;)LOL How about Alaska for NR? Is it difficult for a NR to get a tag in Alaska?
Steve O-Is Wyoming on a preference point system?

Looks like Colorado preference points are out of the question this year. It's just too big a chunk of change to be without right now. Any other areas where you don't need to send in the full amount to apply for preference?
Thanks fellas, Matt

Offline juneaulongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Fannin Texas
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Hey if your single, have few possessions to move, then it really is a piece of cake.  Come visit and see if you like it. The not-so-easy part is leaving behind friends and family, they always give me a hard time about it.  

You'd need a guide for sheep and goats in Alaska as a NR.  Good luck.

Offline Chad Lewis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
That's the problem with sheep, they're not cheap! If you look into most states (if there are any left)that only charge an application fee, the odds are so far off it's almost just giving money away as sick as it sounds.

There are residents of Colorado that have 2, 3, and even 4 bighorn sheep under their belts. Those days are long gone. Today you'll be lucky as a resident to hunt them twice in a lifetime.

Good Luck.
How I love Colorado!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
You might start with a summer job up here.

The "kid" in my goat story that was my Sherpa is from Stureon Bay and only a few years out of Madison.  He plans on moving up here in another year when he finishes Dental School.  Heck, I even set him up with his very own Alaskan woman too!

As far as jobs, I know some people that know some people.....

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
mm,

Yes, Wyoming is a preference point; that is the good news...The bad news is there are about 14,000 people ahead of you and they cost $100 per year for now.

BUT--25% of the tags ARE random draw for everybody.

Alaska tags are easy to get for sheep and goat--in most places; there ARE some slimited draw areas that are as tough as everywhere else AND it is ~$80 for the license to apply--BUT a NR has to have a guide.

A young guy with no wife and family should not let anything stop him from being a resident of Alaska.  I have a wife and family, so all I get to do is visit every now and then...

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »
I know as far as hunting goes Alaska is heaven. I definitely want to do some hunting up there in the future. I have a buddy that's heading up there for three weeks at the end of the school year for a sight seeing trip. I'm sure I'll be hearing about it from him.
Steve H- Sturgeon Bay is about an hour from me- what is the fella's name?
Steve O- About how long of a wait is it for Wyoming's season(15-20 years)? Thanks, Matt

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 04:48:00 PM »
Odds say you will NEVER draw in Wyoming in a lifetime UNLESS they change the current system.

Ben Pinney is my buddy's name.  He got a biology degree in about 2004 from Madison.

Alaska really is NOT heaven but there are some great opportunities.  The Yukon, NWT, BC, now that IS heaven!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©