3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: heavy ILF bows???  (Read 332 times)

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
heavy ILF bows???
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
I don't have much experience with ILF bows,but can that system handle heavier weights ....say  70+ #'s?? seems like more target weights are used but i don't know if it's because of the choice of the archer or the limitations of the ILF attachment strength.thanks for the input.

Offline red44

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: heavy ILF bows???
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
One with little experience here.
ILF's have been used by target archers mainly, not hunters. Limb weights have been made accordingly.
Time will tell now that more are adopting the ILF connection in their hunting bows. I've not heard of an issue with limb weight though.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 09:23:00 PM »
just wondering if it's a "strength" issue with the limb attachment or...no issue at all???

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 09:27:00 PM »
WHen the ILF started getting popular for hunting a few years back, the folks making the risers weren't making the limbs so you had to use what was available in the FITA market mainly. As more and more folks are tossing their hats into the ring and many are full blown bowyers, you are seeing heavier limbs become available. The DAS connection system will handle the heavier stuff well and I trust it more than the standard aluminum ILF bushing personally. But as the hunting market for these risers grows I am sure we'll see some more innovative stuff come along.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
I know of one guy that's shooting an 80lb DAS.
Not exactly ILF,but very close.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
Morrison has some 62# ILF longbow limbs on the stock page,I not sure how heavy he can make them,you might want to give Bob a call.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
WHen the ILF started getting popular for hunting a few years back, the folks making the risers weren't making the limbs so you had to use what was available in the FITA market mainly. As more and more folks are tossing their hats into the ring and many are full blown bowyers, you are seeing heavier limbs become available. The DAS connection system will handle the heavier stuff well and I trust it more than the standard aluminum ILF bushing personally. But as the hunting market for these risers grows I am sure we'll see some more innovative stuff come along.
Going to have to disagree with that assessment.  Whether DAS or ILF the fitting has nothing to do with limb stress.  The rocker of the limb lies on the riser and is held in place by the limb bolt. The pressure points are not on the fittings, unless you’re referring to the extreme ends of the preload spectrum.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
It's not the limbs that can't take the stress if designed properly Jim. I've seen the ILF bushings tear apart, haven't seen a DAS bushing fail, at least not yet.
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:02:00 PM »
I’d be interested to learn more about that failure David.  Unless those fittings were stressed to the extreme preload, there shouldn’t be any pressure on them at all.  The only purpose the dovetail slot and fitting serve is for alignment.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
A string broke and the flat bottom of the dovetail horse shoed right through the slot.
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
Gotcha.  I can see that happening for sure.

btw… I got curious and checked the TradTech Extreme BF and their Black Max Carbon limbs.  They are available in 65# and 60# respectively.  We should probably assume, for whatever reason, as of now, 65# is the highest weight that’s comfortably being made.  Unless of course, Mr. Morrison sees this thread and weighs in… he may be offering more weight. I know that Border will make limbs in heavy weights, but I haven't heard about any warranty issues with regards to risers, etc.

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Maybe it's because most people figure with the modern hight performance ilf limbs and hight performance strings available today, that a 50# bow drawn to 28" or more, is more than adequate for hunting.  I think Bob Morrison makes some limbs that are 60# and heavier and I haven't herd of any failures. I do hear of some shoulder failures in some shooters though.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 12:30:00 AM »
vermonster13 hit it I believe.

If there is a limitation, most likely it is in the fitting.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 07:36:00 AM »
I don't know SteveB, it looks like it was the string in this case.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
The limbs won't be a problem for heavier weights.  It will be the risers.  For the big boys I would look at the DAS and Dalaa risers.  The limb alignment and attachment are positive and will not be a failure point.

And all you need to do is change the bushing out to make any ILF limb set work.  Less then a minutes work.

Dang I bet you pucked big time when the string broke.  However, I would not blame anything beyond the string in a failure of that sort.  Would you bad mouth the bowyer if a tip had broken when your string blew at full draw?

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
All I am saying is when the string broke, it showed a potential weakness. A place where the stress of heavier limbs may need to be addressed.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
soooo...consensus is ...probably?ILF just as "strong" as conventional   bolt and pin attachment?

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
I have some c+ 55lbs on my das riser(close to 65 on that riser). Ive shot those for several years without a problem. Course it isn't a true ILF. The limb and riser are taken it fine so far though.
SL

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 08:36:00 AM »
I'm of the opinion that ILF connection has no bearing on the weight.  If the limbs and riser are built for the weight--not an issue.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
I beleive I'll try to pick up titan riser also. I hear good things about those- then I can put my heavy limbs on and try it out.
Im with jim though- I cant see how the ILF connection carries weight.
SL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©