3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: heavy ILF bows???  (Read 333 times)

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: heavy ILF bows???
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
thanks for the input

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
The  Winex limbs I have on my DAS are 60#. I have a number of other high performance recurves in the 66-70# range and my 60# limbs out shoot all my other heavier bows. One of the beauties of the ILF limbs, expecially the high end of the spectrum, is that they are unbelievable shooters. You don't need 70# when a 60# bow will get you the same results.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Casto Jr:
I'm of the opinion that ILF connection has no bearing on the weight.  If the limbs and riser are built for the weight--not an issue.
I agree; the ILF fitting itself is not load bearing. The load points are the limb bolt and the rocker portion of the limb wedge...not the ILF fitting. For all intents and purposes, the ILF fitting is nothing more than a large alignment pin.

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Casto Jr:
I'm of the opinion that ILF connection has no bearing on the weight.  If the limbs and riser are built for the weight--not an issue.
Absolutely correct.  No different than a single bolt takedown with an alignment pin.  I have seen nasty things happen to them when strings break or even just a dryfire.  That in no way suggests they are not capable of handling heavier weights.  There have been many misconceptions about the ILF connection that have been proven not to be true and this is one of them.

The only reason ILF limbs have not been made in heavier weights (until now) is because target archers don't shoot heavier weights.  Now that they are being utilized by hunters, that is (and will be even more as demand increases) changing.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
SO long as the riser is made to deal with the stress, it shouldn't be an issue. I just think the DAS connection system is stronger than the ILF and better suited for when things "happen" as they will in the woods as opposed to the target set.

I've also had a limb bolt strip out on an ILF bow and that had nothing to do with the ILF bushing. Now that one was a severe pucker, but that's why stuff gets field tested to find issues before stuff gets out there. (No it wasn't a Swan and the bowyer made excellent corrections to prevent it from happening again)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 03:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by vermonster13:
SO long as the riser is made to deal with the stress, it shouldn't be an issue.
Good point.  Now here's something to think about.  What riser would you feel is more apt to  "deal with the stress,"  one that is designed to shoot thousands and thousands of arrows at 5, 6, and 7 gpp, or one that the warranty is void if less than 9 gpp is used, like many traditional hunting bows?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©