3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String repair?  (Read 171 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
String repair?
« on: February 19, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
The serving on my string looks like it is starting to come loose right at the bottom.  

Do I leave it or put some glue on it?  How could I keep it from unraveling before it starts that wont affect performance?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String repair?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Mine did that and i called the bowyer i got the string from and he sent me a brand new string.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 07:07:00 PM »
Charlie,
       I have to assume you have never served a string before right? I wish I lived a little closer to you because I would gladly re-serve it for you. I'm in Oneonta so the only way I can help is have you send it to me or suggest you look through the topics found on here. Good luck.

Rick

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Charlie,

Are you going to make the MHTA meeting on Sunday?  If you are, let me know, and I will re-serve it for you.
Ken Thornhill

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
Charlie…

I can guess at different scenarios so I’ll just offer general stuff. String servings are usually long enough to where you can afford to shorten-up the bottom end. If you’ll check into the finishing steps of serving first, you can unwind enough of the serving to redo the last step and only loose a negligible amount of length.

Good Luck. Rick.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
IF it is the bottom of the serving, you can retie it. All you need to do is unwind it enough to secure the "tag end" again. I can do that for you at the JLMBH in a few inutes if you like....nothing to it and I can show you for future reference.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Thanks guys,

I think why it is doing it is because, well its a learning thing for me.  When I got the bow it was anew string and it had stretched, I shot it with the brace height being way too low.  It was hitting my arm guard in this spot with the low brace height and I think it hit the serving enough to make it start to fray.

Ken, I'm not sure if I will be at the meeting since the bunny hunt is scheduled for this weekend. I still have not made up my mind what I'm doing yet.  

Jamie thank you,  I look forward to seeing you tomorrow.  I have fixed up all the arrows you gave me and hope to get some shooting.  I'll show it to you in the morning.

For the time being, I found a little container of string wax from the fifties and went over it pretty good hoping it would hold it.

Rick,
What beautiful country you live in. I had the pleasure to hunt down near the Pepactin reservoir for a day in the rain a few years back. I took a first time hunter with his 12 year old and helped him get his 1st deer.  Wont forget it. I went fishing in the schenevus creek one day 2 summers ago and did really well.  I always loved that area down there.  This summer or fall, let me know, your not terribly far you can come up for a hunt or I'll come down.

Thanks again for all the generous offers.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
reserve the string yerself.  it's too easy and too cheap, and a good thing for any archer to know.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©