3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long time listener.....  (Read 133 times)

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
Long time listener.....
« on: February 19, 2010, 11:29:00 PM »
....First time caller.

I've been frequenting tradgang for the past couple of years in the attempt to increase my understanding of traditional archery.  the information i found here guided me through my first selfbow a year and a half ago.  This past summer i dropped the hammer a got a nice recurve, a Palmer marked [email protected]. I probably draw around 27", although I'm still working on form.

My question involves arrow tuning. I purchased the beman test kit and point test kit from 3 rivers. I bareshafted to approximately 17 yards and found the 30" long 340's with 145 gr point and 75 grain insert hit straight on. The total arrow weight is 550 grains. My goal is to get the weight to about 600-650 gr, and use 200 grain heads.

My question is about how much of an increase in point weight would i need to add for each inch removed from the arrow?

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long time listener.....
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Carbons are pretty tunable,an inch is quite a bit to cut off at a time.When I'm tuning my carbons I cut a 1/4" at a time and when I get closer I'll only cut 1/8" at a time.I find carbons are more sensitive to length changes then point weight changes.I would try the heavier point weight and see how it flys before just cutting the shaft.Then I would trim a 1/4" at a time and check again.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I don't have the means to cut my own shafts, so I was hoping i could just get close in length when i order, and then fine tune by adjusting the point weight.

When i shot the bareshaft with the 175 grain point it impacted with the point right nock left (slight but noticeable, also the flight didn't look good), the 125 was nock right point left. The 145 gr seemed perfect. The nocks were hitting pretty high, but does that affect the spine of the shaft? (my nocking point is set for CE 250's at the moment, and i didnt want to change it)

Tommorrow i'll try to duplicate my previous results

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 06:36:00 AM »
don't change the shaft length until you've shot it with more up front weight.  you may find it will track quite well.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:12:00 AM »
Welcome........"Mr. Obvious"

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©