3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Workshop benches/ shop setups  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
Workshop benches/ shop setups
« on: April 21, 2007, 03:14:00 PM »
Just finished my new shop and am fixing to start building out the inside. Wanted to know if you guys have any space saving tips or pics of your shop layouts so I could get some ideas.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Workshop benches/ shop setups
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
Sorry I dont have any space saving tips...but I'd like to see some myself.  My shop is long and skinny.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »
I've really got a lot of room in mine but have set some up in small garages before using rolling work benches and small saw tables. I basically used 2x4's and framed the bases and mounted 3" caster wheels like the ones on shopping carts on the bottom. the trick to succsess is don't make the tables or work benches taller than they are wide if you mount them on wheels. I mounted my spindle sander, power miter saw, edge sander, and thickness sander, all on rolling stands. I made the heighth of each so they match my stationary work benches, and table saw off fall table height. Works great! i set up my portable table saw on the end of a long 2' wide work bench in the center of the room. i set up a sheet a plywood that folds down out of the way on the side of the bench when i'n not using it.

That's another great space saving technique. espeacilly for long skinny shops or single car garages. mount your work bench on door hinges screwed to the wall. fold it up into position and put a couple 2x4's under it for legs. i use one off these for a glue up table to do my epoxy lay ups, and assembly work. the cool thing about a folding work bench is that it never turns into a catch all! you are forced to clean up your area.

Offline leftyfred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
I think one of the best features of my new shop is the table saw plug in that is in the floor.  If you haven't poured yet, consider putting an outlet in the floor.  Also, look for some bargin slatwall.  Really keeps things organized.  Don't skimp on the wiring.  I have 220 on every wall, with the 2 50amp outlets on one wall, and 220 in the middle of the floor.  Don't skimp on the insulation if you can afford to do so.

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Good stuff guys keep it coming.

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:53:00 PM »
An outlet in the middle of my garage floor would be shorted out all winter by road salt-laced water melted off the van. The rest of the time it would be full of dirt and sawdust. I have an outlet in the ceiling that never gets anything in it.

Drop cords from the ceiling are often used in school shops to keep cords off the floor as much as possible.

The fold down bench is a great idea, unless you need the storage space under a bench for drawers and shelves.
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
You don't mention the dimensions of your shop nor how many stationary machines you will install.I have a shop but since my retirement you can hardly get in it for junk.  :)   One wall of shelves, one with peg board and a lumber rack would be a good start for your shop.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »
Here is a shot of one of my workbenches that serve as an off-fall table and fold down area behind the table saw. i keep my benches so i can work from either side, and store tools undernieth.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
I just think this is so cool...wish I had someone to work with close by..very nice guys!  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »

My shop is about 25x30.  Cabinet saw and work table in the center that also serves as an out feed table.  Dust collector is outside the shop and trunk dust collector line is along the back wall with gates and hook ups for the smaller tools are on stands with wheels for accessability and mobility(belt sander, drum sander, router, shaper, joiner)  Put electrical in the floor to power the center work table and saw.  My last shop had drop outlets and dust collection and I hated them.  Always in the way.  The best thing I did was put all of my electrical in conduit on the surface of the walls.  Easily accessable and I can change and upgrade it at any time.  You never know down the road what equipment you might add or remove.  Lighting: 7 twin 8' standard flourecent fixtures with 7 twin VHO 8' flourecent fixtures.  I spent about 6 months planning and building it and have been really happy with the way it has turned out.  Lighting, electrical, and layout space is really important and spent alot of time laying them out. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 09:43:00 AM »
Nice set up Dino! My poor shop has been a catch all for everything but wood working projects for many years. I'm i'm still upgrading. The one nice thing i'm really glad i did, was to build a wood floor in mine. Much nicer to work in the winter time on 2" of wood than concrete. I haven't set up a dust collection system yet, but mine will all be done below the floor when i'm done....I wonder if i ever WILL be done? Sometimes i have as much fun working on the shop as working on projects....

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 11:53:00 AM »
I have a Question: Where are the Vises for Scraping, Rasping,Etc?
Awsome Work Areas, but I just had to ask. Looks like someone has been to Cabinetry School Too,  THAT  is Beautiful Work!! Just ALL Kinds of Places to Stuff Things In.  :thumbsup:    :archer:    :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »

IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/Chortdraw/Shop/DSCF0005.jpg[/IMG]Not very big but does the job

Chort

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
My advice - NO OPEN SHELVES!  Everything gets filthy with dust flying.  Put everything inside cabinets.  Makes a neat looking shop too.

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »
Great shops guys I am very envious. I've got alot of work to do!  :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
My shop is a work in progress too.  I can relate to the comment that I think I like working on the shop as I do working on projects.  I wanted 3 things for this project - an outfeed table for the table saw, a fixed router table, and an assembly/storage table.  This is what I came up with.  Just about finished - all I have to do yet is install the faces on the drawers, and add a vice.

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Matthew D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Very Nice Whip...

Offline V-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 04:22:00 PM »
This is my little workshop where I make my bows. All my larger electric tools can be moved to where I want.

V-Archer

"If you have the will to win you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure"

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Just started putting my shop together too.  Here is the becnh my dad built for me last year for my 40th birthday.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
Great Looking Bench! You are Gonna Need  MORE   OUTLETS!!!  Never have too many of Those Bad Boys!!  :thumbsup:    :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©