3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey chasers  (Read 252 times)

Offline 3Feathers

• Trad Bowhunter
Turkey chasers
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
Who hunts turkeys on the run without a commercial blind?????? How successful have you been? What kind of equiptment and yardage of most shots??
HH Cheetah 66in. 48lb at 25in.
HH HalfBreed 66in. 57lb. at 27in.
HH Wesley Special  56lb. at 26in..
HH Big 5          64lb. at 28in.
HH Wesley Special 55lb. at 28in.
HH Redman         60lb. at 28in.
Simmmons sharks
2016 Legacys

Offline parick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey chasers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
ive killed a fall turkey spott and stalk at 10 yards
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in wihch you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
ttt

Offline flounder pounder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »
I will be watching this one, Im going blindless this year also. I figure I will be doing more turkey hunting than turkey killing. Thats alright when I finally do it, it will be that much sweeter.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
been at it for two years now, also to add to the chaos I am self filming it, I would show you the video from last season, BUT the wonderful world of youtube . . . on of the songs I used in the editing process, and it was muted in Germany, so I took it off.  But I have not gotten a bird yet, without a blind is tough.  

gotta love turkey hunting, especially for a avid fisherman like myself, we can only hunt till 12 like alot of states and we spend the rest of the afternoon catchin dinner.  In the spring the crappie are spawning, and I can lay down a killin on them with my fly rod
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I have hunted without a blind  most years(thats when I drew a tags). I was able to harvest my frist turkey that way at 10 yrds. I have had alot of success on getting in on turkeys and getting shoots(not killing). I did find it hard sometimes because the birds seen my draw. This year I plan on hunting without a blind when I am hunting merriams because it's more moble with the mountain birds. Two years ago I drew a tag were Rio's were more present. I bought my frist commercial blind then. It did have some advatages but it did have some draw backs too. It was hard to see birds come in and your stuck where you put it. I think if you look for natral cover it's not that hard to get shoots without a blind.

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
I have tried it for two years now. I have gotten one shot off but misjudged the distance and hit right at the birds feet. He was 23 yards and I thought it was closer to 15-17. The other two times I got busted trying to draw. Both birds were inside ten yards.

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
I've always hunting turkeys the "run & gun" way but that was with a shotgun.  I'm gonna try my luck this year with a bow but I don't expect to be as successful as I was the gun.  It'll be fun and I'll learn A LOT but I'll be very lucky if I get a bird on the ground.  I'm gonna watch this thread to see if I can't learn a little before I hit the woods.
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
I've always hunted them using natural blinds. In fact I've never owned or used a commercial blind. Seems in Florida there's always enough natural cover where ever I hunt. Always plenty of brush, trees or palms to provide adequate cover. You just have to control your movement and things will usually go the right way.

I'll be out there again in March trying to get my Tom. Haven't gotten one in the last three years, but that was due to the lack of days I was able to hunt them. Only hunted 4 days in the 3 years combined. This year have 12 hunts scheduled already.
Best year I ever had was 1988 when I managed to take 9 Toms, 7 by bow and 2 by black powder shotgun. All were Osceola.

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
I made a ghillie in 80.I'm not a blind person.I was taught you have to got to go to the birds.Not wait on them to come around.I klled 31 with shot guns 2 with compounds 2 recurves 1 long bow and 9 with selfbows.All useing my ghillie no blinds only what logs are there.I always had a patteren I went through [places I called from]natural blinds in each woods I hunt.SCOUTINGS much more important my grandad had 80 seasons under his belt and he did'nt ever put on camo untill the last 5 years of his life.And he killed his gobbler in 2 or 3 states every year.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
Bawana, Just curious....Is it legal to kill 9 gobblers in one year in Florida?  

Must be, because you posted it, but I had no idea the limit was that high.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Two in the fall and one in the spring by stalking, stillhunting, etc. I'm not big on sitting in a cramped tent with no floor. This year I'm going to use a ghillie. It should be fun.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
I'm not sure about 1988 in Florida but it looks like you can take 5 in the fall and 2 in the spring on the new Florida regs.     :readit:        :saywhat:    

Wow!! Thats a bunch of turkeys.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:28:00 PM »
Keep talking turkey it's almost here, goodness i can hardly wait for that first morning gobble!
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »
I have killed a few over the years without a blind.  One of my favorites hunts was in an area with big trees.  I cleared the dead leaves around the base of the tree and called up a jake.  I just kept his tail feathers in view and moved around the tree till he was close and then drew and waited for him to step out.  Missed that one but it is a good memory.
2 Timothy 2:2

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©