3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Caribow 3 piece longbow owners  (Read 380 times)

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
Caribow 3 piece longbow owners
« on: February 21, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
After reading all the post comparing Black Widows to Caribows it seems like a lot of people really have some great things to say about these bows.

I will be able to order a few bows in the near future and i really know nothing about these bows but when i hear Black Widow owners saying they like the Caribow better it has really sparked my interest.

I would really like to hear more about these bows and how they shoot and also the finish on them.

I have a 30in draw and was wondering what length 3-piece longbow would be best for me and some feed back would be great.

If its not a problem i would love to see some pictures of your 3-piece takedown caribows and what you like about them most.

I just went to his website and noticed he has a lot of bows in inventory and was wondering how long the wait would be if i custom ordered one of his bows.

Also since Black Widow doesn't offer a 3-piece longbow i am really leaning toward other bow makers. I have a PSA X osage with copperhead skins and that bow shoots as good as any bow i have ever shot.

The only other 3-piece longbows i have ever owned was a ACS that i sold because i am going to order one with the 16in riser and copperhead skins. Right now i have a 3-piece Bear Paws Longbow that i really like but its really not that fast.

I would love to hear some feedback about only the 3-piece caribow, i really like 3-piece bows.

Thanks
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Caribow 3 piece longbow owners
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »
Maybe T.J. will see this thread and post some pics of his.  It is without a doubt one of the nicest 3 piece TD Cari-bow i have seen.  Very fast and very smooth.  Send him a pm.  Get your checkbook ready though.  You will want to order one.   ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
Yea im sure he will chime in and i would love to hear back from other people as well.

I know theres not a whole lot of difference between bows these days but like i said when i hear Black Widow shooters saying they like this bow better it really makes me wonder what this guy is doing to make such a great bow.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
You have probably seen these pics on here before. My two Silver Fox LBs from Abe

Goncalo Alves/Pau Ferro 62" 56# @ 28"

Bocote/Pau Ferro 62" 58# @ 28"

Both Bows sport Quilted Maple veneers

His antler work is superb as well

Contact Abe for his specific thoughts on bow length. I draw 28" on a good day, so I cant give you any real ideas for your longer draw.

The Silver Fox is a great shooter. It is right up there performance wise with other comparable bows. The workmanship exeeds a lot of other bows. They are flawless in fit and finish (at least all I have ever seen). Order with confidence from Abe.

BP
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:07:00 PM »
Brian

Thanks for posting the pictures of the cari-bow, those are some great looking bows and i love the look of the grip.

I would be interested to know what kind of speed people are getting from his bows.

I know that speed is not the most important thing about a bow but like i said i just got a new Bear Paws Bow 30@50 64in and its the slowest bow i have ever owned even though i like shooting it as much as any bow i have owned.

The Bears Paw Bow is also the best looking bow i have ever layed eyes on. It pulls so smooth i have no doubt i could have ordered it at 55@30 with no problem and man i wish i would have done so.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Brian

I love the way he put the antlers in your riser, that looks really cool.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 03:23:00 PM »
Blacky Schwartz did a review on the Silver Fox in an issue of TBM a few years ago. I dont remember the speeds he came up with (I really dont care about the speed, myself). Maybe someone else will.

My Goncalo Alves riser came from the same chunck of wood as the bow Blacky reviewed according to Abe. I bought it "off the rack" @ Cloverdale around the same time as the report was being done. I am guessing the report was in 05 or 06.

Something to keep in mind. Someone said you will need to get your checkbook out. Abe's bows do cost quite a bit, but no more than many of the other top bowyers. He doesnt use any CNC machines to build his bows though. I find it easier to pay for a mans skill than his programming ability. Just my feelings.
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Brian

Im really not a speed freak either but my Black Widow PSA X and the ACS i owned really do smoke a arrow.

I just want a bow that will perform as good as the bows i already own, if not i see no need to order anything other than what i already have.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 03:32:00 PM »
The "silver fox" is my favorite bow out of all the cari-bow's that I own. I just ordered a second set of limbs from Abe two weeks ago. The bow is smooth and the speed I get out of it is awsome. I shoot a 680 grain carbon arrow, and my bow is 55lb@27" I get 204fps out of it. I hunt hard with my cari-bows and they have always held up, and never let me down over the years. I think the silver fox is a great choice.

Darren

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 03:34:00 PM »
I'm sorry that I have no pics for you but I do have an opinion...if it's worth anything?? I owned a Cari-bow Wolverine for a while and loved it. I got rid of it to "explore the world of stickbows" and purchased a BW along with trying some others. I am currently borrowing a 62" Silver Fox (with like a 100 different woods/ antler work/ etc. etc.) and the BW is great but can't come close to Abe's bows. I WILL own a Cari-bow very soon again....or just not give this one back! One other on the list is a Tall Tines!

Aside from the detail (which is 2nd to none) the grip as well as the lack of hand shock really stand out. Speed is no concern as Cari-bow hands down is faster than the BW. I will likely keep my BW but really need to get another Cari-bow. At your draw length Joe, I think the 62" Silver Fox would be the one. I do guarantee that you won't be disappointed in a Cari-bow. Good luck....Ryan

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 03:36:00 PM »
Darren

Is the silver fox his top of the line 3-piece longbow.

Those are some impressive numbers you are getting so it sounds like his limb design must be top notch.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Darren draws to the back of his head....believe me, he's strong enough to do so!!!

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 03:43:00 PM »
Ryan

Thanks for the information, and comming from someone who likes the Widow's and your telling me that you like the cari-bow even better they really must be a very well built bow.

The more i hear about these bows the more interested i am in ordering one.

They for sure are a great looking bow and it sounds like they shoot pretty darn fast.

Sounds like he makes a very good hunting bow.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
I agree with Darren and Ryan, the Cari-bows are NICE!! I am currently deciding what to sell to generate the funds to get my hands on one. I've heard the wait on custom orders is 6 months but a call to Abe would get you a better estimate. As others have mentioned I don't think you would be disappointed with any of Abe's bows.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
ttt
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline Darren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Sorry Joe, I was wrong about the speed. It was 196 fps i was getting out of the silver fox.I was thinking about my 65 lb tundra wolf. And the silver fox is his only 3 piece longbow. Good Luck.

Darren

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Darren

No problem and like i said im not a speed freak but id do want a longbow the will spit a arrow.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Hey Joe,

In my opinion Abe makes the most beautiful bows anywhere. His attention to detail is unbeleivable. The way he works with the lines in his bows is amazing. I have a 60" silver fox that is 49# @ 26". It is birdseye maple and pau ferro with moose antler tips. It spits out arrows like you wouldnt believe. I've never measured the speed but I know it shoots a lot flatter then any other bow I've shot. Here's some pics

"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
Here's a couple more from a distance so you can see the whole profile

"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradhunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I think you should call abe he will be able to let know his thoughts on the length for your draw. I also have a bears paw 62@28 62" i draw 26 so i was shooting around 56 to 57 lbs. i was getting from a crono 194 fps. and that was with a thicker string than what neil sent me.

on the cari-bow i have it is 53@28 so about 47-48lbs at 26.i was getting 186 fps I switched to an excell string instead of ff and I got up to 190 fps. the 6-7 fps difference to me wasn't a big deal. i just liked to shoot something that drew less pounds, and wanted to try a different string material.

I have now ordered a stryker 3 piece long bow that i shot side by side with the silver fox. they both shot my 760 grn hickory arrows like darts.

good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©