3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow for hunting from a blind  (Read 486 times)

Offline Neutron

• Trad Bowhunter
bow for hunting from a blind
« on: February 21, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
I am thinking about a shorter bow for ground blind hunting. Probably 40 to 45lb draw wt. Need to draw to 29", how short can I go?  Who is making shorter bows that are still reasonably smooth to shoot. I was looking at Maddog's midsize longbows and they look interesting but I am assuming a 56" is about the same tip to tip as a 60" recurve when strung.  I see some vintage recurves that are kind of short but I can't imagine what a 52" recurve would be like to draw to 28 or 29".  Any thoughts or experiences?  Thanks.

Offline Kevin L.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow for hunting from a blind
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
Check with JD Lund of Whisperstik bows. My 56" is just the ticket for blinds, but I only draw 27".
Appalachian LB 66"57@26
Appalachian LB 68" 60@28
Appalachian Flatbow 64" 56@28
Appalachian Archery RC 58"62@28
Bighorn LB 68" 57@28
HH Wesley LB 66" 53@27
HH Cheetah LB 66" 52@26
Saxon American RC 58" 60@28

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Neutron:
...I am assuming a 56" is about the same tip to tip as a 60" recurve when strung...  
I wouldn't say think that to be a valid assumption.  I belive that amo lengths for longbows can differ by around 1 inch from recurves, but for the more modern style longbow they are frequently the same.  Same length string at brace height means as similar length bow from top to bottom.  That is my belief, at least.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
There are alot of 58" recurve bows that work for a 29" draw length.  I have found that, for me, when you get shorter you get some finger pinch which can make a clean release difficult.  If you shoot 3 fingers under this will be much less of an issue.  Alot of good choices out there for really short recurves.  Black Mountain Bows and RER would be good places to check.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 05:05:00 PM »
Neutron,

An AMO 56" bow is still 4" shorter than an AMO 60" bow. They won't be "about the same tip to tip" as you thought.

Many bowyers make a shorter bow, many are similar to the Bear Kodiak Magnum or Super Magnums. Even the other bow manufacturers (Pearson, Browning, etc.) of the time made similar short bows, or bush bows, meant for use in heavy brush, blinds, or treestands.

You might want to save some money and get an old Bear to see if it fits your needs. Then if you want you can go to a custom bowyer for the grip you like and pretty woods if you like that sort of thing.

Bear made the following short bows:

Kodiak Takedown with a wood or metal A-riser and #1 limbs is AMO 56"
Bear Grizzly is AMO 58"
Kodiak Magnum is AMO 52"
SuperMag is AMO 48"
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
Maybe these will help you some alot depends on the brance height of the bow. I find a 54" or 56" bow to fit most all hub style pop blinds unless you are well over 6ft tall then its time to shoot of your knees.

56" PSA-X Recurve 52.5 Strung
54" PCH-X 50.5 Recurve Strung
54" Shrew Classic hunter longbow 52" Strung
54" Centaur longbow 52.75" Strung
56" Kanati longbow 54" Strung
54" Morrison Cheyenne Recurve 51.5" Strung

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
i wuld get a hold of mike dunaway at wild horse creek bows i have a 54" kestrel at 55#28 and i draw just a lil of and is supper smooth to shoot he doesn't have a web page but i'll PM you his phone #

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Addiction Recurve. John Dill, Aneewakee Archery. Just ordered one at KaZoo Expo. I found the 54" model to be a great performer and very smooth at 29". I should have it this week! That's less then a 4 week turn around.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I have a 54" Rivers Edge Arroyo that works just great in my db blind. These are great shooting bows and really kick out an arrow.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »
I quit worrying about getting a short bow, got a bigger bling. I bought a Yukon tracks Enforcer, I can stand up and shoot any bow I have from it, and  only $158 shippted TYD. Aint a  double bull but a darn good blind, I have no complaints at all.
samuel koger

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
I have a 52" Cascade Night hawk. It is 70#@28" and I have a 29" draw. They are great bows. You should give Steve at Cascade Archery a call.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Don't forget about Beeler's 56" hybrids. Great shooters!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Neutron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Hey Koger I like yukon tracks blinds.  I have 2.  Had a buck at 12 yards in muzzleloader and he never even looked in the blind as he went by.  Some of him is in a chili recipe in my crock pot right now.  That bigger blind is on my wish list.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 12:50:00 AM »
Take a look at the new "Tornado"recurve i designed for the ground blind hunter.It is 60" and shoots well for draws to 32".You can see it on our website:www.legendsbows.com    
Have any questions let me know.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 04:18:00 AM »
I have a recurve model Double Bull blind, and although I haven't been successful with it yet, I have sat in it and shot a few arrows, using my 64" Black Widow longbow, my 66" Howard Hill longbow, and my 62" Schafer Silvertip recurve. I cant the bow like I always do, just slightly, and have no problems at all. So I reckon you can shoot longer bows out of blinds.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Mechslasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 06:32:00 AM »
i perfer the nomads by james parker of huntworthy productions.  he's a sponsor here on tradgang.  i have two and they are some sweet shooting bows.
"There is beauty and magic in a drawn bow."

Cade (SC)

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
aLL i do is ground hunt with selfbows and I like them 60 to 64" no problem off a stool.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Neutron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I have one blind that I can shoot a 60" recurve out of ok.  Its a big game brand blind that is 67" tall.  Another blind I have is shorter and I was canting too much to try to avoid hitting the roof and my form or release was causing the arrows to hit the shelf.  Getting a pretty big "clank" off the riser of Quinn. I may try an elevated rest to see if that helps in case I wind up having to cant that much.  Thanks for the leads and thanks to the sponsors for the info on your bows I would really like to try out a shorter bow.  May have to sell something to afford one.  I think the taller yukon tracks is something I will be saving up for too.  FYI I measured the 60" quinn strung and its 57" tip to tip.

Offline the longbowkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
check out Lee "Hoots bows, they are the sweetest best shooooting short recurves I and many others have ever shot. they are also great looking
Anneewakee Addiction longbow 56" 50@28

"too many people live under the misguided impression that death is the worst possible of natural events"
  -John G. Mitchell, "The Hunt"

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
I don't think you can beat a shrew for treestands or ground blinds.
works for me.
 Larry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©