3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas Sweat 2010  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas Sweat 2010
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2010, 12:48:00 PM »
Good Shooting!!!!  Some fine hogs you guys shot up!  I have got to get my butt down to a SWEAT one of these days!!

:clapper:
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Way to go fellas...congrats to all   :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »

Who do you think this wiley hunter is?

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
My be wanting to advertise?

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Great stories and pictures... Keep them coming..Maybe some day, I'll get to attend and try my luck at some of these and get the chance to share a fire and get to meet some of you guys in person.  :pray:  

Gene  :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »
Nice stories and good time with good guys.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Look familiar?

Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »

The first evening Curtis sent me to the Blue Rock stand, the wind was blowing hard and cold. It is on top of a water tank.

reclined on the top out of the wind,soon after things got started. this group of hogs was a sow-7-20# piglets and one bore. the sow and piglets went to the corn, and the bore stayed back. every time the bore started coming to corn see would run him off. He finally decided to root in the road, Curtis must have corned it at one time.Was about 18-20 yards, when he turned broad side, and the arrow was away. got back to camp and Curtis came out, thought i had froze out. as i had only been out about two hours. told me not to park in front of the Gambrel poles, changed his mind. Great first evening.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
keep it coming - jB

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
"SWEET SPOT"

How nice of you to show her off...Norb   :biglaugh:

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
IB...that was from TXS2006 and one of the funniest nights I have ever had.  I got a real feel for what Texas is all about!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Sweet Spot....Steel Toed Boots and a Flashlight....Just follow me and stay close    :scared:      :scared:      :scared:

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Great pics and thanks for sharing your stories!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
Looks like everyone had a Great time. That's another great looking Boar Dave {YOUR THE MAN}
I sure missed going this year Son's college got in
the way. Maybe next year? I really missed setting
in the cold all night looking for pigs with you
John. Did Ya'll hunt on a different  ranch than last year? Congrats to everyone!!!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2010, 03:00:00 AM »
Hey Robert hope your well buddy.

Any Javies this year.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Brent Hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2010, 03:11:00 AM »
It was a blast hunting with Curtis and everyone.  It was my first TS and I enjoyed meeting and hunting/camping/stumping and good ol general bsing with everyone.  It was just a good time.   To the hunt.... The first two hunts were at four corners, an intersection on the ranch that had both water and "cornage".  Three days before the hunt, we had just recieved about 10 inches of snow in Texas and on that first night, the wind was still blowing from the north at about 30 mph.  It was cold.  Even the Canadians were cold.  I didn't expect to see anything that night and I think my chattering teeth made have given me away.  On the second night, the wind was still swirling around and at about an hour before sunset, I had a visitor.  A big hairy 200 lb meat monster started towards my stand but just knew something was up.  Now this was my second time hunting with Curtis and I've been hoghunting for a lonnnnnng time.  I've shot alot of herd pigs but I have never before seen so many big smart lone boars over 200lbs running around. But after arrowing a 225lb. red hog with Curtis last year, I got a little spoiled and just assumed this piggy wanted to go home with me also.  But he wasn't so agreeable.  I had the pig at about 30 to 40 yards for about fifteen minutes but since he was out in the open, I couldn't close the distance.  After he started to circle me (and with the help of swirling wind), he busted me. It was just cool to be that close to such an animal.
 The fouth night, stick hunter and I hunted another pasture that was run over with tracks and after a two hour nap in my pitblind (the best nap I've had in years), I heard something and woke up to grab my bow.  I then realized that that was my snoring and proceeded to resume my rest.  About 5 minutes later, I heard pigs coming my way and grabbed my baby(my bob lee) to do some work on the local piggy population.  A herd of about 10 small pigs ran past my pit at about 10 yards and they were just too fast to get a shot off but I just knew that they would back track and give me a second chance.  2 minutes, the swarm of crazed pigs migrated passed my pit blind again and I slowly sat up in my pit to take the shot.  It was hard to slow down and just pick a spot when these pigs were just sprinting in circles around each other but I got off a good shot on a little boar on the edge of the group and recovered him 30 minutes later.  Everyone at the house enjoyed  my "piggy" with a side of carrots and potatos and said I made the right decision to shoot the little one.  I'm sorry about no pics.  Many thanks to curtis and everone at the sweat.  Hope to see yall again in 2011. If you are considering hunting big pigs in Texas and you really want to hunt em on the ground (too much fun) give Curtis a call.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2010, 09:55:00 AM »
Hello Robert,

Sorry you couldn't make it this year.  Dang kids and college get in the way of more hunts.  

You missed some cold nights this year for sure and we did see some big hogs just about every night after dark.  We hunted a different ranch this year, just south of the highway where you and I stalked that pair of wild goats last year.  It looked the same as the last ranch did, gravel roads, mesquite, cactus, dry grass windblown dust and sand, but seemed to be fewer water holes to hunt.  We hunted mostly roadways and pipeline grassways.  I will be ready to go back and hunt again by the time next year rolls around.  I am still learning to speak big hog and need more practice time hanging out with them.

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Hey Andy I'm doing Great, how are you doing Hope everything is good. I didn't get to go this year so no Javies. Hope to see you in camp again I've really enjoyed sharing a campfire with you.

Robert

Offline stickhorse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2010, 07:12:00 PM »
Day 2---- Curtis sent me to a new place about 2PM. just before dark some hogs came in, and was able to get a shot on a nice 20#er. he ran about a hundred yards. by then it was dark, and went back to camp for help. had a great dinner, then Curtis and i went back. just have to say i think Curtis could track a jackrabbit across a tile floor. we tracked him for another 50 yards and decided to come back in the morning. Next morning we found him a short distance away.  
see the smile on this guy, I think he had a pork dinner the night before.

Offline Mr.Vic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
COOL,   :clapper:  Hog threads rank right up there with Elk Threads. Nice Hog Stick!! That coyote get a shaft?
“I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.”
― Aldo Leopold

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©