3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting, what that means for you?  (Read 362 times)

Offline wapous

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting, what that means for you?
« on: February 22, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
When I hunt, I'm in a survival situation in my head. This helps me to hunt and eventually kill my prey. For me, hunting is not a sport and never will. My only reason to hunt is to feed me and my family.
I have no pleasure in killing and when I shoot my arrow, I do it respectfully.
Some years ago I was alone on a lake in a canoe and saw a coyote swim across the bay where I was. I approached him and saw fear in his eyes. Then I spoke slowly and suddenly it became relaxed.
It was a beautiful experience.
What I mean here is this: I am not God in the forest and does not decide who should live or die. I never kills for glory or to kill anything that moves.
Hunting for me is survival issue and each time I kill, I apologize to the beast.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting, what that means for you?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »
It comes from the original instinct to gather and provide.

Today I don't need to kill my own meat,I could just rock on down to the loacl suuermarket an buy better eating than is ever going to come off the hill.

I don't hunt for meat,I hunt to satisfy that old instinct,,nothing more an nothing less.

How other people explain their reasons,there all so much hot air to me,your either hunting due to instinct,or your making excuses for your actions.

I don't need excuses,I know what I am and I have no problems with that.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:07:00 AM »
It's who I am, it's what I do.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »
It's to stir up that predatory instinct and live: "the wild within!" In fewer words it's fun!

You're paying WAY too much per pound if you are hunting to feed your family if you factor in the time; how much your time is worth if you were  putting in that time working instead of hunting etc.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by Biggie Hoffman:
It's who I am, it's what I do.
Ditto to what Biggie said.

I'm never more alive than when I'm hunting.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline TIMP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 07:20:00 AM »
I hunt for the enjoyment and experience of being in the woods and becoming as close to nature as I can. As was said above I could just go to the market and buy my food, no problem. But the market doesn't have the sights and sounds and smells that stimulate that long lost predatory instinct that is within each of us at some level or another. I hunt because I love the experience, kill or no kill. And when the opportunity arises and I am able to make a kill, I give thanks but no apologies for this is what I was put here for and what the animal was put here for. Hunting is an all encompassing thing to me.
Always remember the healing power of music, laughter, and the outdoors.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 07:21:00 AM »
Well I do it for fun.I find enjoyment in being outside away from work.I like to eat the things I hunt so that is a bonus when I do things right.I guess I would call it a passtime more than a sport since I don't keep score.  :D
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »
I think I'm with James on this one.  In all honesty, I think I would have also shot the coyote.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Im 42yrs old and when i was younger it was all about how many deer i could kill and how many i could put on the wall.

This past fall i had one of my best days while hunting down at my camp.

It was pouring down rain when i got up that morning so i set my target under the back porch and put Jerimiah Johnson in the dvd player.

I spent ALL day doing nothing but shooting my bow and watching Jerimiah Johnson and about 7-8 different stick bow dvd's.

The smell of the rain and the sound of it hitting the tin roof as i shot arrow after arrow
was a really good day.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I do it for me.  It clears my head, and is the way that I enjoy  being out doors. The hunt is the most important thing, the kill takes a back seat. I like to put a good set of antlers on the wall just as much as the next guy, but if it doesn't happen, it's not the end of the world. It's just the icing on the cake.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline huntindad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I agree with Biggie also it is who/what I am, a father ,a hunter who also happens to be a machinist by trade.

Bill
The days spent hunting cannot be deducted from  the span of your life's time.

Offline Yorktown5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
These guys are doing a pretty good job of explaining the unexplainable.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©