3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I stopped at the ACS factory yesterday and shot a 3 pc bow  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Longbowmark

• Trad Bowhunter
I stopped at the ACS factory yesterday and shot a 3 pc bow
« on: April 21, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
I have the good fortune of living near the fellow who is making the ACS take down bows.  Same guy that makes the ABowyer broadheads.  I shot a couple of the O.L. Adcock bows he is making.  I am impressed.  I shot the same arrow out of my 54 lb longbow and a 45# ACS.  The ACS shot 14 fps faster than my bow.  It felt very nice in the hand as well.  I must point out that I have no interest in this business.  I just stopped to buy broadheads and found out he was now a partner in the company. These bows are going to change how we define traditional equip.
"The ruin of nations begins in the homes of it's people"

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I stopped at the ACS factory yesterday and shot a 3 pc bow
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
Nah, I don't believe so.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by Longbowmark:
I have the good fortune of living near the fellow who is making the ACS take down bows.  Same guy that makes the ABowyer broadheads.  I shot a couple of the O.L. Adcock bows he is making.  I am impressed.  I shot the same arrow out of my 54 lb longbow and a 45# ACS.  The ACS shot 14 fps faster than my bow.  It felt very nice in the hand as well.  I must point out that I have no interest in this business.  I just stopped to buy broadheads and found out he was now a partner in the company. These bows are going to change how we define traditional equip.
Small world.  I live in Muskegon.  Yes, those are great bows, but I believe my definition of traditional equipment remains intact ;-)

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
The CX has gone a long ways in changing the performance expectations of traditional archers. As have the Black Swans, Borders, Centaurs, Hornes, etc. It is a great time for us traditional hunters. There is a plethora of excellent bowyers out there and everyone can find a bow that suits them.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
Dan
Sounds like our definition is the sames.  ;)
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 11:31:00 PM »
Does he offer stock bows to buy there?  Did he mention anything about the wait time dropping now that production has started?

Thanks for the info!
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
The wait time will drop considerably. I was told it will be down to under a year. I am due up late 07' or early 08'. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 01:11:00 AM »
What! You didn't come home with one?
I've got one and looking for one for my wife.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 02:29:00 AM »
They are partners with O.L. but they are a different company, different website. A&H archery. O.L.'s limb design but O.L. is not involved in the making of the 3 piece bows. The one piece bows are still O.L.'s perview under O.L. Adcock custom bows. Least that is my understanding.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
Nice bows yes, change trad archery no. Maybe for 3D and target shooting if they meet the rule requirements but not the definition of trad. For those that are equipment junkies maybe, but the DAS and the new Morrison will probably surpass the ACS. All a bow is; is a tool. The shooter is trad archery, not what he shoots.

Offline Longbowmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
Marc,  I did ask Larry about wait time on bows.  He said they are about one year out on orders.  Some of that stems from filling existing orders since they formed A & H.  At present they can make around 200 bow a year.  I called the place a facroty but that is not an suitable discription.  Really its a small barn.  Truth is when I saw a picture of one in Trad. Bowhunter last week I thought they did,nt look all that good.  The real thing looks better than a photo. I was pleased. I guess I used a poor choice of words in my original post.  I dont think this bow will change traditonal bowhunting.  I should have said that it redifines how we look at bow performance. My first impression was that the take down bow would work great for any back country hunt where the bow needs to be stowed in a pack.

Offline Longbowmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
I forgot to mention,  I dont think he has stock bows but you can e mail him.  I dont even know the e mail for A and H.  If you go to Abowyer.com you can get ahold of Larry and ask.  There is a chance that there is lower poundage set of limbs. But dont take that to the bank. Like I said I just stopped there to buy broadheads

Regards, Mark

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
ETA..........I got on list awhile back...no word yet...   :(      :rolleyes:      :(  wish I had one to shoot 3D archery tournaments this spring and summer!!!!  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 08:48:00 AM »
How good are those broadheads? I heard something about Grizzley's should be fletched right wing (I think) because of the angle of the bevel on the broadhead. Otherwise the head works against the fletch. Did they say anything about that with these, since they are a single bevel? My arrows are all left wing. As far as the bows, pretty impressive performance. Did the bows all have that high wrist grip. From looking at the site that was the one thing I didn't like about them - that high wrist recurve type grip.

Offline Longbowmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »
TJ I will answer your first question first.  Regarding the high wrist grip, yes they are higher than the average longbow.  They do fill the palm in a very comfortable way.  Everyone wants a different grip.  I think the design of the bow is bettered by the present grip design. You can contact larry and ask what his opinion is on that.  The grips are shaped by CNC.  About the broad heads, I have not hunted with them yet thats why I was there.  I have friends that use them and like them better than anything else.  About the R or L wing feather thing.  I have heard this brought up before.  In my experience shooting Grizzly heads for years with Left wing feathers.  No issue.  For what it is worth I have heard that Dr. Ashby is testing this head and has some conclusions on it.  I would defer to him since he knows more practical info. than I do.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
OL has always been on the forefront of performance with his bows, and I'm not talking speed here, I'm talking about taking a heavy arrow and shooting it out of a lighter weight bow at the SAME speed as the heavy arrow out of a heavier weight bow ie: same KE and momentum, less strain on the archer.Most people don't appreciate OL's thinking.

That kind of thinking is somewhat revolutionary for trad archery whereas most people only think in terms of sheer speed and have to use a lightweight arrow to do it. Many bowyers these days are recommending 9 GPP and the people who buy their bows are even shooting less weight than that, some down to 6 GPP. OL wants to shoot a 10-14 GPP arrow out of a 45# bow equal at the same speed a 60# would normally shoot that 10-14 GPP arrow. There IS a difference between speed for speeds sake and performance.

I can guarantee you more bowyers will sell 60 pound bows avertising shooting 9 GPP at 200 FPS than will bowyers who advertise 45# bows shooting 12 GPP at 185 FPS. It's a product of our environment.

That said I shoot homemade wood bows at 47# and 10-12 GPP at 145 FPS     :banghead:   still I can appreciate where OL is coming from.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
Mickey - bingo!  We've never felt that speed was anything more than a way to measure performance.  Being able to do more with lighter weight is a good thing.  Nothing wrong with performance as long as people recognize what it enables us to do.  I've tried to give some real-life examples on the website that illustrate what you're describing.

John

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
I agree, I'm much more impressed to see a bow shoot a 10-14gr arrow at the same speed as a heavier bow than a light weight arrow at higher speed.

Offline centaurshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
if you take two bows shooting 9gpp, the faster one there will be faster at 12 gpp.  the only reason 9gpp is quoted so often is b/c amo standards.  that said, you're right, it's all a different way of saying the same thing and i'm not sure why some don't get it or care to.

longbowmark, let's work on you bow set up a bit, no way you should be a calculated lb/lb 24 fps behind.

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
What that means in real world terms is that guys with a short draw length and who can't pull 60#'s can still get the same level of performance at the shorter draw length and poundage.I don't see how that can be a bad thing.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©