3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how many people?????  (Read 1144 times)

Re: how many people?????
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
does it really matter?  were here now...

Offline fortpeck_longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2010, 09:59:00 AM »
i was was woundering i guess.... mostly wanted to hear some storys...sorry if i offended you arrow30. welcome to the home team!!!lol
Yarak-Superalert, hungry but not weak, and ready to hunt

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
no offence taken partner. i to love hearing the stories of old timers, must admit- i am from the dark side, never had anyone to teach me any different,but im trying to get my son more involved in trad but if he goes to the compound fine,     comeon spring!!!

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 05:01:00 AM »
I bought a wheel bow for one of my kids to try to get them fired up about hunting with me.It didnt work but,I'd do it again if there was a snowballs chance.My youngest shoots trad gear with me and has hinted about wanting to try wheels.If it means we find some teaching moments and do some bonding,that would be fine.
 I wanted to try everything and have everything when I was young too.
  Robert
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »
Never shot a compound,but I shoot crossbow 3D(Excalibur Exocet 200)
Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Offline fortpeck_longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2010, 09:12:00 AM »
^ during archery season?^

Offline mickeys4

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
As far as I remember I've never shot one.My nephews got into archery over twenty years ago with wheelbows.I remember picking up their bows and thinking they weighted more than my Hawkins 50 cal and a lot more bulky.Just handling those things set me on the path to traditional archery.Bought an Archery Traditions longbow.I still have and hunt with it.Glad to say my nephews finally turned on to trad bows.
"The longbow is the reason we don't speak French today,"

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Have always shot traditional
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline fortpeck_longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
good stuff guys!

Offline Grassman34

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
I can say I've been shooting compounds for 20 years now and over the last two years didn't see the challenge to hunting anymore. I was starting to lose interest.  I have a five year old son who is ate up with hunting whitetails and is already pulling a 16# compound and I thought getting into traditional would add the extra challenge and give him and I many days of practice and play together in the great outdoors.  The sad part is it won't be long before he will be out shooting me but for now, my compound is a dust collector and I don't see that changing for any reason.  I am consistent enough that I will definitely be hunting with it in 2010! Thanks to everyone here for all the help with questions and helping me become much better Traditional Shooter!!!  Fingers Forever!!!!!
Black Widow PSAII
Built 59# @ 29" (58" AMO)
My Weight 56# @ 28"

Easton LightSpeed 3D
Cut 30", 5 1/2" Feathers, Gold Tip Inserts (with 100Gr) and Nock Adapters (with 20Gr), 100Gr Points (510 Grain Total Weight)

Offline Cool Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2010, 07:35:00 PM »
I tried wheels for a while, but it just wasn't for me. I shot a relatively slow compound, and I shot it like I've always shot.  Canted, and no sights, stabilizer or whatever. It still never felt to me like archery. To each his own.
  Larry

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2010, 10:21:00 PM »
I started with recurves.. then did the wheel/cam thing.. then brought it back full circle and havnt looked back since.....
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
I can honestly say I have NEVER owned or shot more than 2 arrows from a compound.

I've been shooting since age 5, now almost 55. Started with a 12-15# longbow, when it broke my dad bought me a 45# 1955 Bear Kodiak used. He knew nothing about bows only that I liked shooting them. That was one big jump in weight for a 7 year old to handle! But I eventually grew into it.

When I was in the Air Force and stationed in South Carolina I was invited to hunt a private plantation and didn't have a bow with me at the time.
 Went to a local archery shop to buy a bow, all they had were compounds! This was 1977.
Shop owner handed me one and said take it out back and shoot it You'll love it! Well, I shot 2 arrows through it and took it back in, Handed it back to him and said this isn't a bow, if you can't snap shoot it I don't want it!
That afternoon I drove back to Florida and picked up 2 of my recurves and hunted the following weekend.

Have never touched a compound since, and if I were to shoot one I doubt my opinion would be any different today!

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
I think many hunters have different paths to trad gear.

I started deer hunting with a compound in 1977.
But unlike much of the sentiment, I have virtually no sense of shame or embarrssment about it.
If not for the compounds becoming popular then, I don't know if my dad and his friends would have gotten into bowhunting so seriously a few years prior.

We didn't choose the compound then for any particular reason other than it was a new weapon gaining in popularity and even companies like Bear Archery were touting their effectiveness.
My first compound was a Bear Polar LTD.

I started with a compound in the 1970's for the same reason most firearms hunters choose a scoped centerfire rifle or a scoped rifled slug gun over a traditional flintlock. It was the thing to do.

I switched to traditional bows for much the same reason Grassman did, I grew bored with practicing with a compound and killing deer with a compound. I never "lost interest", but I admit that it came to the point in my final compound years where I enjoyed my off season scouting and off season habitat improvement work more than the actual hunting season itself.

Although, that was a plus too, because for me now, "deer season" is a 365 day a year season. I start scouting in January and we'll be starting planting saplings, etc, in April once the snow melts.

For me, the only challenge left with the compound was to extend my range. I got to where I felt comfortable shooting out to 50-60 yards.

The irony is, it was that that brought an abrupt end to my compound days. Once proficient at those ranges, I killed my nicest Michigan buck at 47 yards.

While I felt a great sence of accomplishment that my habitat work contributed to such a nice buck, the act of killing it at 47 yards left me with an empty feeling and no sense of accomplishment. My thought was a sarcastic "well, that was fun".

That was the end of the compound for me. I bought my first recurve at a local trad bow shop and quickly thereafter sold or gave away everything compound.

But I didn't get into trad bows for any spiritual reason or that I wanted to be part of some brotherhood of trad shooters.

My reasons were totally my own and pretty simple. My own sense of self accomplishment. I want to master trad bows as much as personally possible and I want to humanely kill deer with trad bows.

That said, I'll go back to my earlier comment. I have no shame over my compound days. I learned a lot shooting a compound and killing a pile of deer with the compound.

It was a time and place in my outdoor life and I look back with only fond memories. It's a lot like how many look back on their youthful indiscretions of their college years or their early 20's. Those memories are nothing you'd repeat now as an older person who knows better, but the memories are still a part of your path and usually seen as good memories.

My .02

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Not me started with the training wheels!  Been trad for a whole month now! lol
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
In 47 years of bowhunting, I shot a compound for about 10 years, in the early days when the wheels were inside metal brackets. Never did like it as much, and after I lost everything in a house fire in 1983 I went back to traditional style. I've hunted with a longbow every year but one since then, and that one year was with a recurve.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
Traditional since the day I started with no intention to do anything but.

My first bow was a very primitive compound and I had a brief stint with it when I was 12. No sights. I shot off the shelf. It was more of a toy when I was young though.

I didn't really START shooting until this May.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline nomad to hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I've shot both. I like whatever takes down the animal. BUT i am really hooked on this recurve right now and having a ball. keep shootin

Offline fortpeck_longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »
good to hear guys....great storys!!!!keep shooting!!!

an arrow in flight is one for the most beautiful things i have witnessed.

Offline DAVE1275

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
I've got a Bowtech Admiral compound,a Barnett Predator crossbow,and numerous recurves.If it slings an arrow I'll shoot it,I love archery in general,but theres nothing like smackin one in the pump station with the curve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©