3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: hunting packs.  (Read 230 times)

Offline tradhunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
hunting packs.
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
I am looking at the mystery ranch packs and was hoping some one may have experiance with them and let me know good they are.

Thanks for any help.

Offline T. Downing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: hunting packs.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
Yeah me too. For what it is worth, I have done a ton of research on these packs, particularly the crew cab. I like the durability, lifetime warranty, and overall design. Hopefully someone with actual experience will chime in. Glad you brought it up Tradhunter1.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are children born in one’s youth. Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
Psalm 127 4-5

Offline Mack_S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »
I've got the 6500 and it's a great pack.  I got it last year and have used it only once...so far.  We packed in about 3-4 miles in some steep terrain and I had it loaded with about 60lbs.  I believe its close to 10lbs empty. But it is solidly built and looks very durable.  Once you get it set up to your body, it fits like a glove.  I never got a hot spot or felt uncomfortable from carrying it, in or out, up or down the mountains.  I plan to use it alot more this year.  Hope this helps.

-Mack

PS: I'me wearing it in my avatar if you can see it.
-Mack

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
I bought the crew cab about 3 months ago.  I've been working out with it about 4 days/week.  I've got a 50lb bag of corn and other random things to bring the total weight to 70lbs.

The pack seems bomb proof.  There is plenty of room for an extended hunt.  I also bought the lid for it.

Right after I bought it, I loaded it up and went on a 2 mile hike through the hills and snow at my property.  It wasn't real comfortable.  I then did some homework and realized that you need to adjust the yoke to fit your pack properly.  Since then, it has been awesome.  I have zero stress on my shoulders and back with a heavy load.  All of the weight is on my hips.  I'm putting about 5 miles a week on right now with 70 lbs in preparation for my hunt in Sept.  

The pack compresses down nicely.  About the same size as my J104.  It is a heavier pack...about 8 or 9 pounds with the lid.  I don't notice the additional 3 pounds of pack weight b/c it rides so well.  I really like the NICE frame as it gives me many options as the years go by.

All in all, I'm very happy with the investment and look forward to getting some blood on it this fall.  The guys at Mystery Ranch do a good job.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
My daughter has been pretty tough on a MR Big Sky and it's holding up well and she loves it. (I use a Kifaru pack.)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »
Myster Ranch packs are FANTASTIC!! I recently purchased the Wolfpack wit the nice frame and  the "cub" on the bottom making it a 6100 CU pack. There is more then enough room to fit everything in, including the kitchen sink. They have a great warranty to boot! They are pricey (I paid $700.00) but its an investment that will outlast me!

I tried Elberstock packs but for some reason I could not get it to fit me  in the store. But that could have been the inexperienced clerk that was helping me as well. If you do go the Elberstock Route, give Joe..AKA: "whip" a call. He is really a fantastic fella to deal with, and he will really help you out. He is a sponsor here. If he would have sold Mystery Ranch, I would have bought from him..

Here is a picture on my Mystery Ranch Wolfpack..

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline tradhunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
thanks guys. now the only other question would be the wolf pack or the crew cab? I'm not quite sure which one would be more versitile for back pack camping and packing in for a 3-6 day wilderness hunt. thanks again.

Troy

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by tradhunter1:
thanks guys. now the only other question would be the wolf pack or the crew cab? I'm not quite sure which one would be more versitile for back pack camping and packing in for a 3-6 day wilderness hunt. thanks again.

Troy
That "cub" comes completly off. And the top lid, you can use that as a backpack as well. It has sholder straps inside. Thats why I liked it so much, its like having 3 packs in one  :goldtooth:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Hess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
For what it's worth, I've had a crew cab for two seasons now and have hunted daily with this pack, hauled a lot of meat and overall enjoyed wearing it.  

I can't tell you how well made this pack is until you can see for yourself.  It is industrial strength with a componenet of human friendliness.  I've got the hood (which I hardly use) along with 3 cells and have found them to be more than enough.  Elk, moose, goat, deer hunts etc. prove to be no obstacle and I'm so glad I bought one...definately worth the money.

Erik

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©