3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help Me Find a Tab.....  (Read 512 times)

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
Help Me Find a Tab.....
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Hey all,

I need to find a new tab.  I have tried a SOMA and several others.  The closest one I have found to being the right one is a Black widow Cordovan in XL.  It has 2 problems that I don't like, first I don't like that the bottom part is split between the middle and ring fingers, I would rather have it one piece of leather, and second is that it's too short.  When I release the string the tips of my fingers get raked and it is rather uncomfortable.

I called Bateman and asked about their tabs and although they are solid on the bottom part like I would like, they are too short, even shorter than the Black Widow.  I asked if they would be able to make me one and leave it long so I could trim it to my desired length and they basically told me that they are die cut and they don't do that.

So now I am back to square one.  I would make my own but I don't know where to find Cordovan to use.  Every time I find some it is so expensive that it wouldn't make much sense to buy it to make a tab.

Any ideas or suggestions I should try?  The BW tab I use now measures 3 1/8 inches from the back to the end of the middle finger part.  So whatever I get needs to be longer than that.

Thanks for the time and help.

Nalajr

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help Me Find a Tab.....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:16:00 PM »
Have you considered making one?
You can find cordovan for sale online, a little leather, a little elastic, play with it 'til it fits.

They don't make my favorite tab anymore, so I make them out of leather scraps and sealskin shelf rests (Not any more, because they downsized the shelf rests.   :(  )  . Best one I ever made, though, was a simple tab I cut from the upper of an old Acme cowboy boot. Lost it on the trail last Columbus Day weekend. I gotta dig up those boots again.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
The Neet KantPinch is a full length tab.  Interesting though, I always cut mine off till there is just enough to cover the ends of my fingers 8^).

I sent you a PM with a suggestion.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
Why not call Olebuff and have him make the exact tab you want? He makes great stuff.
I'm thinking of sending him a Widow 3 under tab and making something similar with slight modifications.
 http://www.olebuff.com/

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
Call Eagales Flight He will hook you up with what you need. They are a sponser here.

http://www.eaglesflightarchery.com/
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 04:28:00 PM »
I have had the best luck with the Black Widow cordavan, but my fingers must be shorter than yours. I would copy that one and make my own,like Killdeer said fool around till you get what you like!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 06:28:00 PM »

Offline tradhunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
I use a skookum cordovan tab. it has an elastic finger loop with a plunger button slip naught. the finger loop is just behind my middle nuckle and I tighten the naught down snug. I got mine from Alaska bow hunting suply but think it is carried by other vendors also.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Don,
I'll PM you after I give the kids their bath's. I'm gonna have you set me up with a couple 3 under tabs.
Great looking stuff.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
I like the looks of the EFA tabs... Hmmm....

Offline Predator Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by 2fletch:

How do I get one of these?  :thumbsup:
AcsCX 1pc 66" 47@28 Bocote
Predator  60" 52@28 Leopard/Shedua
Super diablo 50@28 bubinga/purple
Predator Riser phenolic/maple - cant decide on limbs yet.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
Are you sure it is too short?  I had problems with them too long and the string pressing the tab into my tips on release.  I went shorter, and now I have no problems.  I don't like the tab to extend past the ends of my fingers when I am fully on the string at draw.  A little shorter yet is fine also.

BTW where did you get a BW cordovan tab?  I would love a medium one, but can't find them.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Call Black Widow directly and they can tell you if they have any more of the Cordovan tabs.

Nalajr

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
You can find cordovan for sale online
I've had zero luck finding cordovan for sale.  I've cut tabs out of about every other kind of leather, and they all work.  Cordovan is the best, though.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
I just looked. All my sources are dried up!
Aakkkkk!

killdeer   :(
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Seeza

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 06:56:00 AM »
I have been using the Cordavan tabs from Alaska Bowhunting Supply.  I'm very happy with the tab and the service.  Same tab for two years and thousands of shots and it just gets better.

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »
Killdeer and Jeff, I have a little bit of cordovan that I could part with for someone in need.

Jeff, I have found that there is a big difference in tab material and how they affect your shot. An extreme example would be say sharkskin and cordovan. If you were tuned and shooting bullseye groups at 15 yards with the cordovan tab, and then switched to the sharkskin tab, you would find your arrows hitting 4" left. (That's why I quit making sharkskin tabs.)

Offline KumaSan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
http://www.e-screamingeagle.com/products_list.htm

Try this for a cordovan tab. I bought a few two years ago, and it is MJR Manufacturing, Ovando, MT. Others I picked up from a fellow Trad Ganger in Missouri.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
make yer own tab - it'll be custom fit to ya.  no need for cordovan, any relatively thin, chrome faced latigo leather works just fine.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Scott Squires

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
I just started using the 3 under cordoven tab from 3Rivers and it is working great.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=TC3X

scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©