3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Jerry Pierce Recurves  (Read 441 times)

Offline Hess

• Trad Bowhunter
Jerry Pierce Recurves
« on: February 23, 2010, 01:16:00 AM »
Anybody other than my new friend Chris Surtees have one of these bows?  I've never met Jerry Pierce but I remember when I was in my college apartment in 1996 there was a JP Choctaw in the classifieds for $1500 with Pierce points...if I only had the money back then.  

But I would love to see a couple of those bows if you guys have them stored away in a closet or something, maybe even a little blood on them from last season if you were so lucky, LETS SEE THEM!

Thanks for helping me get through the wintertime blues...

Hess

Offline craig1955

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Jerry Pierce Recurves
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 09:52:00 AM »
There are some pics in the classifieds of one for sale now!

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
This has always intrigued me.  I understand he never sold his bows, but only gave them away or donated to causes.  

Other than rarity, what makes his bows so special?    I know they are good looking bows, but so is a Dale Dye.

Please enlighten me.
Lon Scott

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
Here are a few pics I took at ETAR in 2008 of a Choctaw that was given to John Rook.  I have also included two links to some threads relating to his bows.  I very much admire Jerry Pierce and his bows.  Holding one is an awesome experience.  

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=062843;p=2    

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=053744#000000    

TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
Jerry Pierce is one of the friends that got me back to shooting traditional. The first day he came up to me at a 3D shoot and asked if he could shoot around with me. I told him I had been talking to another friend and one we both knew about getting a recurve. He insisted I shoot his a few times. Well for an older gentlemen let’s just say it was a struggle to pull his bow back.

We talked about shooting bows and he made a statement about how he felt sorry for today’s bow hunters who have never actually smelled the smell of cedar arrows as you turn one into a shootable arrow. Also how much satisfaction they miss out on, by knowing you took an animal with equipment you make by hand.

Well as things progressed that day he told me he wanted me to do him a favor. He wanted me to wait for him at the next shoot to shoot together again. I was standing there talking to some other guys and a strong hand grabbed my shoulder and Jerry stated walk up to my truck with me.

As we got to the truck he pulls another recurve out he had just made and wants another favor. He then proceeds to tell me he wants me to test this bow he had made from black African something wood. Wants me to shoot it for a few months see if it stands up and how it shoots.

Several months later I see him again and he tells me I did such a good job of testing it that I better just keep it.

Jerry and I became friends and let me add if Jerry ever got something on you he would never miss the chance of calling you over while he shared your mishap with others. He would always get a certain twinkle in his eyes as he watched you squirm.

While my bow was way before he invented the Pierce points, it is a real thing of beauty to me. Jerry opened up a whole forgotten world to me by getting me back to Trad.
PBS  Member

Offline BMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »
thank you for the story bofish-IL.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 03:10:00 PM »

PBS  Member

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »
Great stories and pics guys. I don't know how, but I missed the second post that is now in Classics. Great read about a great man.

Thanks,
Kyle

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
bofish-IL

Thanks for sharing your story.  Wish I would have had the chance to meet the man, shoot a round,and spend some time around a campfire.  As we get older, more and more of those who paved the way for us, slip away to those happy hunting grounds.  Sharing memories like this is what makes it special.

Mike

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
I wrote a long letter to Jerry explaining how his generosity had made such a change to my life and outlook to hunting. He called me the day he got the letter and stated of all the people he had given bows to that my response was the best reward I could have possibly given him.

Years later I was at his house in his basement with Pat C. and we were talking about bows. I happen to pick up his hunting albums and inside was my letter. That proved once again the type of person Jerry was and the friend I had.
PBS  Member

Online Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »
He always had a bow to auction for the United Bowhunters of Missouri banquet that he attended. He was a quiet man well liked by all, very giving and not fake.  His bow was not as nice as these and he and his wife always gave. Nice story Elmer, I wish he would have hung around for a bit longer.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Great thread.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
This thread is awesome!! Has anybody ever happen to find one in a garage sell somewhere...kinda like finding the declaration of independence at a garage sell...I have always wanted to find some kind of amazing trad archery items at a random sale for some rediculously cheap price!!

NOT YET!!

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 01:49:00 AM »
A close friend of mine has one. I touch it as often as he'll let me. Stunning craftmenship.
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »
Great story Elmer. Thanks for sharing. Jerry had me try his own hunting bow when I saw him at T&Me Archery. I couldn't tell you if it had Pierce Points, because he had spray painted it. I never could talk him into making me one. Wish I had bought more raffle tickets when he donated to the Pekin Archers. Wish he was still around too.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
I am lucky enough to have one of Mr. Jerry's fine bows in my bow rack.  I have frineds come over and the first question they always ask "What's that bow in the black sleeve?"  And I start to tell them the history of Jerry Pierce and what impact he has had on traditional archery, and when I pull the bow out of the case their jaw hits the floor.  Absolutely a beautiful, magnificent piece of work.  Lenny Pierce has asked me for years to harvest an animal with that bow, but I just cant bring myself to take it to the woods.
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
One of the great men in our sport who left us much too soon.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 10:24:00 AM »
Featherbuster, I can understand your reluctance to take your Choctaw to the woods, but that is truly what Jerry made it to do.  Carry it carefully and with reverence and let it make meat.  You'll see Jerry's smile.    :pray:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 10:30:00 AM »
Lenny Pierce has asked me for years to harvest an animal with that bow, but I just cant bring myself to take it to the woods
In the spirit of Jerry Pierce, I think you should paint it flat black and take in to the woods!  :biglaugh:

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
MSwickard you are right, the first thing Jerry told me was to spray my bow black and kill something with it.
PBS  Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©