3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadhead alignment  (Read 402 times)

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead alignment
« on: February 23, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Hi Gang,

do you aligne youre broadheads to your fletches and if so why and how?

I once read it will improve arrow flight if a two blade is aligned horizontaly parallel to the nock. But with screw in broadheads and different srew lengths i find a pain in the a.. especially if you are changing from BH to field points or between BHs.

Regards
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline bornagainbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead alignment
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
I don't.  I just make sure that my bow is tuned properly and have never had any problems.  I have heard of people doing that, but I have never had a flight problem without aligning broadheads and fletching or knocks.
But thou, O LORD, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head. Psalms 3:3

Offline craig1955

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
I always align mine horizontally. I don't know that it matters but I would think you would want them all the same!

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
When I do my arrows I fletch them first. I then
use a dulled broadhead to set the insert into my shaft and align it the way I want them.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Cmalone1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »
I have aligned them and not aligned them...Now I don't even worry about it...My arrows fly the same no matter which way my head is oriented...

The only thing that I have heard that it helps is when people gap shoot it gives them a consistent reference...

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
I see, its one of those some do some dont things.

Well, i can see that it would be good for a gap shooter, but then again, changing field points with Bh and different Bhs will blow it. Doesnt matter, i dont gap.

Thanks alot guys, I will align the ones i like best and dont care about the others.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Just a choice for me is vertical only for looks.You should check out the 3R video on mounting broadheads.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
make sure they spine true
                    2 blade   horz
                    3 blade   v   up

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
I align them to be out of my view at full draw, ie 2 blade parallel to the grouund and 3 blade with the "v" up.

Aerodynamically it does not matter to match it to the feathers, bu some like to and gives them confidence.  Which Is all that matters.

To locate mine I take a broadhead and insert and put in the shaft.

Then I nock it and position where I want it and then mark the insert and shaft with a sharpie.

Then I put a fieldpoint on and gorilla glue in with the marks lined up, and set in the corner to cure.

Goodluck
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
I do not worry about it - I don't look at the arrow.  H

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
I like to mount my 2 blade broadheads horizontal.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »
I like to align my 3 blades to my fletch.  Two blades I mount horizontal so if I overdraw the bow the back of the blade hits the back of the bow instead of cutting my hand.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
I shoot 2 and 4 blade heads. I am using glue on heads and adapters so I can get the BH I want in the wieght that I want. I put mine on horizontal and have all of them the same. My fletch is 4 fltch @ 90.

As long as they spin good they will fly good, assuming your setup is tuned in properly. If its wobling when you spin it it doesnt matter which way you put it on it wont have proper flight.
Levi Bedortha

Offline EzArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
with 2 blade heads i mount them horizontal so if i get excited and mess up my release the arrow wont plane

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
I shoot 3 blade and aline one blade stright down, just me, im picky that way. The wife calls it anal  :saywhat:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
I shoot 2 blade heads. I don't worry about the position. When it spins true, that's where it stays.

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
I mount my two blade heads vertical

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 12:14:00 AM »
I only shoot 2 blades and set them horizontal, as the blades become virtually unnoticeable and therefore most resemble field points. Being that I do not look at the point, when I set them vertically something new enters my peripheral vision and vies for attention…so I’m just more comfortable with omitting that occurrence from the equation.

Yup, broadhead alignment can be sorta PIA stuff, but that provides one of my better reasons for keeping a stockpile of arrows…I haven’t told her I can just take them off. Rick.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 02:48:00 AM »
I use 3-blade BH's Glue-on's. I first start off with "V" up so the 2 edges are down so arrow laid on a table matches BH with feathers. Then after glue cures, I'll go shoot it and if it need to be turned I'll heat up the point and turn it a little. let cure again the repeat test till I get good flight.

Most of my 3-blades are "V" up with some "V" down. Before moving to 3-blades, I would have my 2-blades run the same as the string on the bow.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 04:37:00 AM »
easy. what i do is 1- glue all the inserts in the shafts. 2- then glue up 1 b/head. 3- screw that b/head on to a shaft and align the nock to get your preferred broadhead position. 4- repeat step 3 for all the shafts. 5- screw the adapters on to the shafts using the same torque for each then glue on the broadhead and align them using the nock as reference. 6- fletch them. the great thing about it is that i can interchange any b/head on any shaft and they are aligned the same everytime. hope this helps
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©