3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PAYPAL WARNING!!!!!!!!  (Read 667 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
PAYPAL WARNING!!!!!!!!
« on: February 23, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Just wanted to let everyone know to keep an eye out on your paypal accounts. I just had someone hack into mine and attempted to charge an 18.00 subscription to sype services. Koodos to paypal security for catching this. They noticed suspicious activity and froze my account. When I got  the email from paypal I called them and they stopped the payment(on their own) before I even called them. My money will be posted back on my account in 1-2 days. Paypals security is top notch in my eyes!! They recommend changing your password every 60 days. Just an FYI for all.

Mike
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PAYPAL WARNING!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 11:04:00 AM »
Thanks Mike, I just changed my password.  I try to use words that don't make sense to anyone else. I'm a Paypal fan.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »
If PayPal security was that good, they would stop people from hacking into people's PayPal accounts and really do something about their so called "security" so people's bank accounts would be safe. I think PayPal's security stinks. This same thing happened last year to many people. For this reason, I no longer do business with PayPal. If a seller doesn't want my US Postal Money order, he/she can keep their item.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Another warning-  as of Oct 9 Paypal policy doesnt allow there services for KNIVES!!  They seem to be selectively enforcing this policy as of Feb 22,  but be aware.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I have been using paypal for alot of years and they have not let me down yet. Once again, they came through again.
Peoples bank accounts are hacked into everyday by these experts. So do you stop putting your money into a bank? I think not.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
I use Paypal o lot,I hope it remain a safe place.Never had a problem till now.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Very few Paypal accounts get "hacked".  The vast majority of problems are due to people falling for fake "phishing" e-mails and giving their account log ins and passwords away.

Just remember Paypal (or any other reputable company for that matter) will not send you e-mails with links or forms asking you to update or confirm any information.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
Originally posted by SlowBowinMO:
Very few Paypal accounts get "hacked".  The vast majority of problems are due to people falling for fake "phishing" e-mails and giving their account log ins and passwords away.

Just remember Paypal (or any other reputable company for that matter) will not send you e-mails with links or forms asking you to update or confirm any information.
Well said! Just to clarify, the email I received from Paypal informed me to log into my paypal account and go to the account review dept. As stated, Paypal will never ask for account numbers in an email. Thanks slowBowinMo

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 11:28:00 AM »
For awhile I was receiving emails from "Paypal" saying there was an issue from my account and to log in and check the account review... the link was for a paypal clone site  and they were after my info.  Never click on the links in emails, even if they look legit!  Go to the actual site and log in from there.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
I should add that Paypal also reverse hacks fraudulent sites.  Forward all suspicious e-mails to Paypal at:  [email protected]  and Paypals techies will immediately start screwing with the bad guys.  It's called "white hat hacking".

I love that part!  You get to sic 'em!  :jumper:
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Another FYI RE: Pay Pal.

I recently bought a bow from a Trad Gang member. The Seller told me to use the "Send Money - Personal" tab to avoid him having to pay the Fees.

I didn't think much of it at the time. Upon receipt of the bow, I have discovered the bow has a cracked riser.

Because, the transaction was not for "goods" I have no recourse in the Resolution Center.

I have tried to get the Seller to refund my money, no good. Terry and Rob have attempted to help but, no good.

So, I am out the cash and I own a wall hanger.

Had I known this I would have added the fees to my payment and marked the payment as "goods". Then, I would have recourse in the Resolution Center

Learn from my mistake.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Mike!
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lamey:
Another warning-  as of Oct 9 Paypal policy doesnt allow there services for KNIVES!!  They seem to be selectively enforcing this policy as of Feb 22,  but be aware.
That's always been in the prohibited activities when the knife (or other weapon) is regulated under an applicable law.  So no switch blades or the odd blades that can't be shipped to various parts of CA, MA and NY (and others I'm sure).
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
Raging Water,

Sorry to hear about that.  I gotta say it pays to spend the bit of extra on the fees.  I have had a lot of people try and avoid the fees and I just don't do it for the reason mentioned.  I like paypal, it is easy to track all payments and shipments, and it is not hard to work thru any problems with the site.

I had not heard that they counter hacked the sites that were hacking them.  That is a good one to hear.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline SkottyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the information on the send money personal.  Sorry you got took by the scumbag!!!  Karma, he will get his 10 fold!
>>>------Scott------->

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 12:03:00 PM »
When I spoke to the paypal rep I must say, it was some of the best technical service I've ever received. He knew his stuff and their work was quick.
He also told me that they were diligently "counter hacking"(my words, his were more technical) to try to find the hacker. Can't ask for anything more than that.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by SlowBowinMO:

That is exactly right.  Never EVER! respond to an email that you might receive puporting to be from PayPal (or a bank for that matter)  Even if you think it might be legitimate correspondence, go directly to what you know to be the correct website and log into your account the way you always do.  NEVER EVER follow a link to a log in that is included in an email that you receive.

The scammers make the link address in those emails look pretty darn convincing hoping that you will not notice there is one character in the web address that doesn't belong.  

DON'T BE TEMPTED TO TAKE SHORTCUTS AND FOLLOW A HYPERLINK TO LOG IN TO ANY TYPE OF SECURE ACCOUNT!!

(There, did I yell loud enough???  ;)  )

I spent 30+ years in banking, and I can tell you, very smart people fall for the scammers tricks all the time.  PayPal or your own bank can't possibly protect against giving away your password to a scammer.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Raging Water:
Another FYI RE: Pay Pal.

I recently bought a bow from a Trad Gang member. The Seller told me to use the "Send Money - Personal" tab to avoid him having to pay the Fees.

I didn't think much of it at the time. Upon receipt of the bow, I have discovered the bow has a cracked riser.

Because, the transaction was not for "goods" I have no recourse in the Resolution Center.

I have tried to get the Seller to refund my money, no good. Terry and Rob have attempted to help but, no good.

So, I am out the cash and I own a wall hanger.

Had I known this I would have added the fees to my payment and marked the payment as "goods". Then, I would have recourse in the Resolution Center

Learn from my mistake.
So you were ok with trying to screw paypal out of their fees and you got a busted bow?? Sorry pal, I say you got what you deserved.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 01:01:00 PM »
Biggie,
 Is the dishonest gent who ripped you off still allowed on TG ?
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©