3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any teachers out there hunt during the school year?  (Read 843 times)

Offline wisconsinteacher

• Trad Bowhunter
Any teachers out there hunt during the school year?
« on: February 23, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
I teach at an alternative school.  I have been teaching for 5 years.  I hope to save up some money to go antelope hunting before school starts next year.  What do you teach and what hunts do you go on during the school year?

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any teachers out there hunt during the school year?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
Well, I don't teach, but my wife-to-be does.  She teaches high school regents chemistry and she is darned good at it.  And once in a while biology.  She doesn't hunt, but she lets me go whitetail hunting pretty much most of the fall if I behave during the school year!!!
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:27:00 PM »
Was a middle school science teacher before I became a stay at home Dad. Am also NAA Level One arhcery instructor still acitve in that. Hunted deer on weekends and any other days off that I could. Not many except teacher union state conferance days. ONLY time I got 3 or 4 days hunting in a row. Hunted turkey in spring always chose a season that had two days of weekend days. One year was able to take my 2 personal days in a row and get in 4 days of turkey hunting. PM Chad Holm of Holm Made Bows, he's a sponser, he may be able to give some insight.

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I teach 7th and 8th grade science.  I don't travel to hunt because of the difficulty getting time off.  If I get drawn for a moose permit here I will string my personal days together and go four four days, might even pay for my sub to add more.  I did go on the Solana hunt because it was during Christmas break.  I have also gone down south to look for turkeys during my April vacation.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline brill16hockey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »
I am an elementary school Phys Ed teacher.  I just graduated so this is my first year.  I will be going on a spring bear hunt the week after school lets out up in Quebec.  Looking into some antelope hunts in August before school starts as well.

Online Rick Wiltshire

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
18 years teacher, 15 years administrator and have NO regrets.  Most hunting trips do not fit with the teaching schedule.   Retired now and able to do some of the hunts I had only dreamed of before.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
G'day Fellows,

I teach a grade 5/6 class at a government primary school. I love my job and my school. I mostly hunt pigs on weekends. When long-service leave comes up, I'd like to hunt bulls and boars with Mick and Andy!

Cheers,

Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
I am a high school history teacher in Louisiana.
Been at it 17 years and still love it. Hate the pay but love my job.
(most days)
I can hunt close to my house during the season somewhat but I hope to get in a club this year. Not much public land close by. There is alot of National Forest land about 2 hours from me thats great hunting but I can go only to those for weekends and its hard to do very much.

My wife is from CT and just got back from there.
I hope to maybe hunt there in the future some.
I cant afford to go on any BIG GAME hunts.
This is my first year to trad hunt with a bow.
Ken
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »
Electrical instructor at yukon college..teach pre-employment and three apprenticeship levels.

Curently I have 17 students and am teaching 3 levels - 1-3 at the same time...lots of work - like the old prairie schools grades 1-12.

I teach 12 subject areas every day and the students/apprentices can be anywhere within them at the same time....CWAZY WABBITTS.

I hope to do some hunting in florida and texas/new mexico and california on my swing through this spring....

I will layout my route first of may and if there is anyone on the path that might want to meet a crazy bowhunter/electrician on my travels we can make plans then.

I will be riding my 89 yamaha venturer royale and i will have my flyfishing gear and my PCH and/or my ACS longbow...so play is the big reason for the trip.

Jer Bear

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
I currently teach Biology/Honors Biology and have taught just about every other science course at some point in my 22 years.  Hunting during the school year is normally limited to local hunts evenings/weekends and maybe a long weekend now and then.  I did take 4 days off for my "once in a lifetime" Michigan bull elk hunt in 2008.  I am also planning on a South Dakota antelope hunt in August but probably won't go until 2011.

Offline greg fields

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
I teach high school.  18 years now.  I only hunt in state whitetail, bear and turkey.  I hunt every night after work, weekends and the occasional sick day.  My morning hunts are limited to Saturdays.  No vacation days, 2 personal days and 10 sick days a year.  I have never been on a week long hunt and don't see it happening until retirement.  Teaching is not the profession if you want to hunt, but thankfully, everyday I go to work, I know I will not be receiving my pink slip...  and my job is pretty secure.  I often think about changing careers, but ......  what would I do now.... to insure I can have the time I do now and the money, even if its not a lot by some peoples standards, I live pretty comfortably..

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
In case you werent aware Maine bear opens the last week of August, this may help you get outa town before schools in.My wife and brother are teachers and they do have to be creative to get certain dates off.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I taught science and  chem for 35 years. I retired in 2006. I hunted locally and still do. Jawge

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 06:32:00 PM »
I teach 3rd grade and hunt weekends and breaks. I'm 4 years from retirement if the State doesn't change the retirement plan. I hope to elk hunt in Colorado the year I retire. Would love to find a hog hunt during Spring Break sometime. Bmac, how did you Michigan elk hunt go? I shot a dandy in 94 and am still eligible for another drawing.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
Been teaching physical education for 13 years.  I do a lot of 3 day weekend stuff.  I save up vacation time and do a week long hunt every other year.  Our school has a week off for spring break every March which has allowed me to do 3 southern hog hunts.  I teach in a small school.  I volunteer to do a lot of extras that nobody wants to do like bus duty, safety patrol etc.  If I want to take a couple days a year off without pay my principal says no problem because she appreciates the extra things I do.  
Chad

Offline Bmac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:
I teach 3rd grade and hunt weekends and breaks. I'm 4 years from retirement if the State doesn't change the retirement plan. I hope to elk hunt in Colorado the year I retire. Would love to find a hog hunt during Spring Break sometime. Bmac, how did you Michigan elk hunt go? I shot a dandy in 94 and am still eligible for another drawing.
I shot a nice 6x7 in the Pigeon River Forest.

It sounds like the State may change your plans.  My school will probably lose 1/3 of the teaching staff (60-70 teachers) if they go through with the retirement "incentive" they are talking about.  

I've also thought about an out of state hog hunt or turkey hunt during Spring Break but haven't checked in to places that are open.  I'll have to do some research.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
I just want the 60 and 10 years of service to stay in place  :thumbsup:  I shot a 6X8 my year that dressed 825#. I have hunted Ohio during April before but it was a personal day and weekend and I really felt rushed.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Jon Shade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
I taught physical science for 35 years. I retired last year and was finally able to get my fill of hunting in. It was great! The school year doesn't always fit hunting seasons. A personal day here, and a sick day here, but all local hunts. Gee, anyone notice how many science teachers here in this thread. We should all get to gather for a consortium. (bring your bow!)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Glad to see so many teachers (especially science teachers)that hunt.  Find a principal that hunts...They will understand!
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I teach 9-12 Biology.  I hunt hard locally on weekends with an occasional personal day thrown in, but big trips are really difficult.  Did a couple texas trips during spring break.  I squeaked an Elk hunt in during 2003 primarily due to a superintendent who also hunts.  They docked my pay, which added another $700 to the cost of the trip.  That supt moved on, and so has the policy that allowed taking time during the school year.  

Its hard because a lot of folks will ask why we are whining due to having June, July, and August off.  The deal is, I don't know any guys at my school who don't have second jobs during that time, just to make ends meet.  I've taught summer school every year since I started and do custom farm work on the side.

On the flip side:  Helping foster an understanding of the outdoors, predator/prey, dispelling alot of the disney myths is very fulfilling.  Letters you get from kids after they have graduated are special.  I've had a few that make you really think all the bureaucracy is worth it and we actually are making a difference in the world.
Blaze out your own trail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©