3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hammer Blunts  (Read 380 times)

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
Hammer Blunts
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I'v been shooting some of the small game hammer blunts here lately. I bought some of the 145 grain heads to use on some woodys, but changed my mind and used them with a 100 grain steel adapter for some carbons. I found out these heads are not very durable when used with steel adapters I've had two bust apart while stump shooting. Anyone else had this happen.
>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hammer Blunts
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »
Nope, but I haven't tried your system.  I bought the 250grn screw in model.  I've been very impressed.  I shot one into what I thought was a stump and turned out to be a big rock.  Mushroomed my full metal jacket down about an inch but the blunt held together fine.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
WV, if those are the older glue on models (meaning, not recently delivered to you), yes they did have some heat treating issues with a few batches. I busted up a few also, sent them back with a letter explaining, and they sent me brand new ones. All of the new stock I've gotten have not had this issue. This was also only with the glue-ons...the screw in had no such problems...wish they made a 300 screw in, the face of the screw-in models is much larger than the glue-on.

Best small game/stumping head out there right now, in my opinion.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »
I've had the 200gr. screw in for about a year now and mine have held up extremely well.  I've not had one failure and I've shot into all kinds of stuff including rocks.  I would have thought the carbons would have exploded before the hammer busted.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
I wouldn't recommend using a steel adapter in the glue on version, because the whole "Hammer" is heat treated and the steel insert might cause it to split if you hit something hard. If you are using carbon or aluminum shafts then go with the screw on. If wood then use the glue on.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
I had the same problem JC described when using the glue-on model with my hickory shafts. Went through about 5. Stopped using them, but it looks like any problems have been fixed. Gonna give them another try; I really loved there design...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Boomerang, that would certainly be the right answer if they made the screw on in the weights some carbon/aluminum users needed.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
JC,
What weights are we talking about? They go from 125gr. to 250gr.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 03:13:00 PM »
Jeff, I know you guys make a bunch of diff. weights, but I like the versatility of the glue on with different steel adapters.

Although I've never tried a a Hammer, after my last to get-togethers with others that were using them, I want to get some...they're probably the perfect stumping head....I've been shooting 160 Terminators on 125gr. steel adapters, with reg. insert....I'd like to match that with Hammers...

How worried would I have to be if I mounted them on adapters?  Or should I not even consider it?

Thanx bud
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
Boomerang, the majority of my heads are 300 grains.

Curt, I wouldn't worry about the new ones much...I've "hammered" mine pretty good and no blow-ups with the new glue-on models.

As an aside and to their credit, when I discussed the problem I had, they admitted there had been some definite issues with heat treating.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 03:37:00 PM »
Curt,
Like JC said if you get some of the newer ones, you shouldn't have any issues. Some of the older ones were just to hard and that made them brittle back on the thin part of the taper of the glue-ons.

JC,
If you want a 300gr screw on try the VPA SGT (Small Game Thumper)in the 300gr. screw on version from Bob Morrison.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Jeff, I've put a a doz on order with Bob when I got my 300gr VPA's about a month ago but at the time he did not have them. I talked to him yesterday about another matter but assumed they were not in yet. BTW, if you are indeed responsible for the VPA's, friggin awesome 3 blade...numba one in my quiver now.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
JC,
Thanks for the kind words on the broadheads. Bob should have some 300gr. Thumpers next week.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Problem solved   :thumbsup:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
Thank you Joe and Jeff...I'll have to order some soon and put them to good use....

Are they available in 160?
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Phelpsy17

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I have the 250 screw ins and the only one I've broken so far was on a slightly bend aluminum shaft that hit a tree, I think there was perpendicular force to the shaft and snapped off the ferrule.

Offline wv lungbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
This was the second hammer that exploded.

>>>>PICK-N-STICK--->

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 07:46:00 PM »
Curt

I have only seen 150 and 175 grain glue on so far.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©