3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fletching Jig Question  (Read 233 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Fletching Jig Question
« on: February 23, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
1st off.  I understand that the Blitzenberger's are the highest quality jigs.  If I was doing a ton of arrows thats what I would get.  But I'm doing a maximum of three doz. a year.  Do you get a more consistent fletch with the Blitz's or do they just last forever?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fletching Jig Question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 02:40:00 PM »
The J8 Fletching Jig by Martin Archery costs about 1/2 the cost of the Bitzenberger, and actually does some things better than the Bitzenberger.  Both are available from 3 Rivers, and probably other places as well.

The Martin has an adjustment so you can set the feather angle more precisely than you can on the Bitzenberger.  The Martin is made out of a type of plastic that sheds glue better than the Bitzenberger.  You'll probably want to mount the Martin on a piece of plywood or something, which isn't a big deal.  The Bitzenberger is heavy enough to use without mounting on anything.

The Bitzenberger is more solid and probably a little easier to use.

I wouldn't say that either one produces a more consistent fletch than the other.  I think you get slightly more helical twist out of a Bitzenberger clamp.

The hardest thing with either one is the initial setup to get the maximum offset possible on your arrow shaft without having the feather quill hanging off the shaft.  This varies, depending on the diameter of your arrow shaft, so the setting sometimes has to be readjusted when you go from a very small diameter carbon shaft to a larger diameter aluminum or wood shaft.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
I use Vador jigs at a fraction of the price for a Bitz. So long as adjustments are not changed mid-fletch, all the jigs will be consistant. Once an arrow is off the jig I challenge anyone to be able to tell what jig was used to fletch the arrow.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I bought a JoJan about 20 years ago.Sence then I've tryed them all at one time or another but always seam to go back.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I bought the grayling jig just not too long ago and have been more than happy with both the right wing and left wing clamps.  I dont bother with the straight.  Probably use this one for the rest of my days since I dont make more than a couple dozen arrows a year.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline MSwickard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 04:14:00 PM »
Been using a single Jo-Jan since 1987.  Still works.  Sometime I wish I had the 6-pack version just to get arrows fletched quicker, using a single fletcher works fine.

Offline Maxximusgrind

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
I have the martin j8,bought it at least 10 years ago,probly averages a few doz. per year.I dont see how anything could be much better,But I havent tried anything else either.
Measure twice,cut once,then beat it to fit

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
I use a Bitz and get pro results. Very solid, durable and I love the way I can get a solid left helical on a skinny carbon shaft with 5 inch feathers. It's a set it and forget jig.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
I use a Bitz.

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
I think most will do a bang-up job - I wouldn't use the Blitzenburger if I was doing a bunch of arrows a year, unless I had twelve of them. I surprised no one has mentioned the Bearpaw - I have seen the ads for them. I think as long as you stay away from a plastic jig you'll be fine (and maybe avoid the cabelas jigs, I see them in the bargain area all the time - returned). I have never seen a Martin J8 - post a photo of that thing.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with plastic jigs unless you adjust them with a hammer. My original three are about 11 years old now and there's no difference from the day I bought them.
So far as I know the only metal jigs are the Bitzenburger and the Jo-Jan.  

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
I just started making fletching up my own a few months ago. I was in the same spot as you, not sure if I wanted to spend that amount for the amount of arrows I planed on doing.

I ended up getting the BPE pro and am VERY happy with it. simple to use comes with good directions and can fletch any setup you want! at a good price. One to check out for sure.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
I have both a Bitz and a Bearpaw and prefer the Bearpaw. It's easier to adjust, more adjustable, and easy to switch between 3 and 4 fletch, which I do a lot.

Craig

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
The BearPaw works very well and not as pricey as Bitz.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I managed to scrape up two old Bitzes.  They both are for 3 fletch, is it possible to do a 4 fletch on them?  Is there a setting or am I better off getting another jig to do a 4 fletch arrow?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©