3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: cant find the right arrows!  (Read 184 times)

Offline nnedj

• Trad Bowhunter
cant find the right arrows!
« on: February 23, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
hey everybody this is my first post first and foremost my name is josh I guess you could say i am new to archery hunting in general i always wanted to try it but never found compunds to be interesting so i bought my self a consignment martin at the local shop and i have been trying to practice a good bit but my problem is i cant find the correct arrow to shoot from my bow when i bought the bow it came with three cedar arrows that were spined 60-65 but i think they were a shorter draw than i am i have bought some arrows in that spine at my draw but they fail miserably dropping off at short distance so i bought different spine at 50-55 they were ok but still not right so basically i want to try out some carbons maybe but i dont know what to do so if anyone can help out it is greatly appreciated

my poundage is 50 and my draw is 29

thanks again, Josh

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cant find the right arrows!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:00 PM »
50@28 or 50@29? What type of bow? Get the name and Im sure someone will know if it is centercut.

If it is 50@28, then you are getting 53@29, so it makes a difference. What do your points weigh?

I would guess something in the area of CE Heritage 150s, but I would wait until you get someone a little better at the "spine thing" to comment for you.

Good luck.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
First off Welcome,

If you provide the following you get a lot more help.

Bow Manufacture and weight rating from bow.
Longbow or Recurve, cut of shelf + 0 -, B50 or fastflight string.
Need more information to be of help
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
agreed we need a little more info

if it matters we bare shafted a 2117 to a 54# recurve with a dacron string - 125 head weight - shoots so solid that dude is DONE.
<><
<-----------------<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 02:36:00 AM »
3Rivers has a test kit for carbon & for wood. the carbon test kits are bare shafts as the wood are fletched.
These can cut down on the time to find the right spined arrows to get.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
If they're dropping off that badly at a short distance (what distance?) I'd look to the knock height on your string first.  Even poorly spined arrows will fly predictably.  You're probably a bit underpsined with the 50/55 arrows, especially if you left them long.

Again, some more info would be helpful.  What Martin?  50# @28" or @29"?  nock height on the string?  Nocking the arrow above or below it?  How tight are your nocks on the string?

I ask the last question b/c if they are very loose on the string and you're nocking under the nockset it's very possible the arrow is sliding down the string b/c of finger pressure when you release.  This would cause the back of the arrow to bounce up off the shelf and make it nose dive and drop off.  Very easy for a beginner (or anyone really) to do.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
You may want to get to the Baltimore traditional shoot in May, and get with some archers who have been at this for awhile.  You sound like you need more help than just arrow suggestions.  Where in Maryland do you live?

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 12:55:00 PM »
First off, are you SURE you draw 29"? Most guys overestimate their draw length with a trad bow. Draw your bow to anchor, and have someone mark the arrow at the back (side toward target) of the shelf. That's your true draw length.

Then you will be in a better position to proceed. Also, as others have mentioned, the type of bow makes a difference, as mentioned above.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©