3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Vented broadhead blades  (Read 1077 times)

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Vented broadhead blades
« on: April 22, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Broadhead blades are vented to reduce surface area, maximise cutting diametre, and  minimize possible planing problems, but the downside is, some have a whistle in flight, noise problem.

I am curious, as to your favourite cut on contact broadheads with vented blades, and how do you rate it for its noise or queiteness in flight.

What design features are good to make a silent vented broadhead.

What can be done to make a vented blade silent in flight.Has any one done any research on this type of thing.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Vented broadhead blades
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
Most often, noise in vented broadheads is a product of misalignment of the head on the shaft.

Next would be the sharp angles of the vents themselves.

Make sure your broadhead spins dead nuts straight and if it still has noise problems, try lightly filing the inside edges of the vents.

I like shooting my Woodsman heads into a sand pile until all the paint is gone.... helps with any noise issues, though I don't find a slight "hiss" to be a problem.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 11:38:00 AM »
Charlie,
         Why do you think the paint makes a head noisy. Or do you think the sand may be rounding the edges of the vents a little.

Do you think that a vented design with rounded corners in the vents may be a quieter flying head.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Allan...it's not the paint.  It's just that after shooting into sand long enough, all edges are nice and rounded.

Rounding the corners a little in the vent might make a difference, but that's stuff for manufacture testing.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
Charlie said,
Rounding the corners a little in the vent might make a difference, but that's stuff for manufacture testing.

Exactly, thats why I like fishing for ideas, LOL

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 01:19:00 AM »
Why not just use an unvented head? I'd like to see Woodsmans made unvented. Maybe 150 grain?
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
Wouldn't that be a BAD NASTY head!!
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline DarkeGreen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:49:00 AM »
I'm not sure what people were doing when they started having problems and decided to go to vented heads, but man...the non-vented heads shoot better than anything I've tried. For grins I put a few non-vented head thru my single cam to see what happens at speeds in the 300 fps range. They are hands down the best flying broadheads ever shot thru that bow. I can't even get close with a vented model. The non-vented fly great and shoot exactly where the field points do.

The only thing I can think is maybe people didn't have their bows tuned and blamed the broadheads???

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
The vented thing is really more about trimming weight than anything.  But then again, ever notice how well the old Razorhead flys?  Without the bleeder in, those things are like lazers.  The Howard Hill is probably the most accurate broadhead I've ever shot, and it's kinda vented too.  I think the profile has way more to do with it than the vents though.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline mbbushman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
I use 125 gr 4 blade Magnus glue ons. But I don't use the bleeders and mount them on an aluminum adapter for a total weight of 150 gr. The slot where the bleeders should be makes a noticeable whistle when I shoot. It's not the alignment because they all do it. I usually just fill the slot with glue, or Vaseline, no more whistle.
  My 150 gr. Razorcaps don't whistle at all, just perfect flight all the way to impact!

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
You all are convincing me to shoot non-vented.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline Longbowmark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 03:33:00 PM »
I would have to side on the non vented as well.  In the days when I needed training wheels on my bow I used a popular tip with vents in the blades.  I made the transition to a cut on impact 2 blade then later to a traditional bow.  I enjoy better arrow flight, less noise and better penetration.   Perhaps the leathality report addresses this as far as penitration goes.
"The ruin of nations begins in the homes of it's people"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 05:39:00 PM »
I've never had a problem with noise in vented blades but I like a heavy head so I might go with non vented  for a little more weight.

1 9/16" x 2 3/4" 165gr    http://www.shrewbows.com/simmons/index.html    

Vented, 150gr

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
My Ace Super Express 175 grain are vented and don't seem to make any noise, unless you count the sound of breaking ribs! Maybe it is slower then the speed of whistling?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »
The Ace super express has rounded corners in the vents, I wonder if this is a reason for quiet flight.

Does anyone else have a favorite vented head that is a silent flier, or does anyone else use one that is a bit noisy.

I'm wondering what design features the queit ones have in common.   :)

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
All my snuffers seem to hiss.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©