3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Boot opinions???  (Read 996 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Boot opinions???
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
The time has come yet again for a new pair of medium weight hikers. I go through at least a pair a year, and would love to find something that would have a bit more longevity. Anybody out there  have any luck finding a boot that will withstand 1000 plus miles in a year in rocky terrain, or am I dreaming? I have ended up buying boots in the $80 range for the last few years, since the $120+ boots didn't seem to last any longer. What are your experiences?
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Boot opinions???
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:20:00 AM »
I used to walk through a pair of Rocky's or Cabela's brand hunting boots each year.  Finally in 2003 I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Russell's (the TLC Woodcock all leather boot).  These boots have been all over, including elk country in MT several times, British Columbia, Victoria Island in the NWT (nothing but rocks there) and in the Basalt/sand country of Australia.  They are also my go-to whitetail boots and I put on LOTS of miles year round scouting.  I need to send them in this spring to have them resoled as I've walked them smooth, but the leather is as new, and they only get better with age.  I grease them regularly with Montana pitch blend.  Bought a second pair 4 years ago (insulated) that I use later season.

They are pricey ($300-400), but my first pair has outlasted $600-700 worth of Rockys and I don't see and end to them.

Ryan

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
Centaur,
I have had great luck with Hi-Tec boots. I don't hunt rocky terrian, however, I wear them all spring, summmer, fall, walking fields for work. I also use them for early season deer hunting.
One pair usually last me 3-4 years of hard use (1000plus miles).
I have worn everything from custom made White's, Mendels, and Danners. The Hi-Tec's last as long, at a fraction of the cost of the others.

chris <><

Offline Matt_Potter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Danner - I have about 9 zillion miles on mine and have worn through 2 sets of vibram.

Matt

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
I usually wear Danner Pronghorns.  They are comfortable but I have had trouble with the goretex leaking water after one season.  The boots are fine but my feet get wet.
2 Timothy 2:2

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Cazbelas is discontinuing their Mountain hunter series made in Italy they still have some in stock. $269.00 I believe. These are hard to beat for rocky country. I have three pair of them, dang comfortable. The other good option is Vasque Alpines but they are $400.00 or so. All good boots that should give you years of service if looked after. $80.00 boots and mountain terrain don't go together in my book. In rough country especially carrying a pack you need good ankle support/protection.
hunt it

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
The pronghorns just don't fit my feet well.....AND....they've leaked since day 1.

I've had awesome experiences with Vasque sundowners.  I'm on my 4th pair, since 1995.

I'm in the market, also, and I'll be watching this thread.  I need to go ahead and get a pair (and get them broken in) for a CO elk hunt in Sept..  I think I've narrowed it down to the Vasque's and the Kennetrek Mtn. Light hunters.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
I have a pair of Mindel's from Cabela's that are doing great after three seasons of mountain hunts plus who knows what in between.  I doubt I'm up to a 1,000 miles, but they look like they have plenty more left in them.  I wore them all week in Texas this month through mud, rain and snow the entire week and never once had wet feet.  Most leather boots won't keep water out very well after the first few uses, but these are doing great.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
I primarily wear Lowa's (Tibet) but I've had a couple of pairs of Montrail Torre's which are less pricey.

Buy the boot that feels good to YOU and assume that some day it will probably wear out.

Good deal on a nice boot (they also carry it in a wide sizing):

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19440

Offline fortpeck_longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »
got to go with kenetreks, try some on and you will see why they are so much money$$$.
Yarak-Superalert, hungry but not weak, and ready to hunt

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
The cabelas Mountain hunter is made by exact same company as Kenetrek and is $100.00 cheaper. You'll only find them online in sale items but great deal while they last, if they have your size. They come insulated and non insulated.
hunt it

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
Keep 'em coming guys. I tried Danners years ago but they were always too narrow for my feet. Hi Tecs are comfortable, but I destroy them in a few months. Maybe I just need to open up my wallet and drop some serious cash; it does seem that you get what you pay for.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Ive had good luck with Danner and Lacrosse for rubber my terrain in lower Michigan is probably different than your needs in Wyoming though.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Just got some ASOLO'S use them in rocky country.  and I am picky about boots. they are good ones
The older I get the better I was

Offline RickH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
My favorite boot for mountain hunting is the Lowa Ranger. They're a little pricey but they definitely will last and are comfortable. I've been through a lot of boots over the years(Danners, Vasque, Merrill, and Cabelas) and these Lowas are the best for me. The Danner Pronghorns are pretty good boots too. My experience with the gore-tex liner is that they will all leak eventually when they are soaked for extended periods, such as walking through wet undergrowth all day. I think they start leaking when the pores in the gore-tex get full of mud and such. If you have a place where you can put on a few different brands and try them out it could save you some money.
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
Colorado Bowhunters Association

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 10:25:00 AM »
I've got a pair of the aforementioned Cabela's by Meindl with the "perfekt" footbed and they are very comfortable. I probably have around 300 miles on them and they are hoding up well. I generally prefer a lighter boot and my go to pair for warm weatehr hunting and hiking is the Lowa Goretex Mid. I'm on my 4th pair and they are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. They wear like a running shoe but hold up like a boot. They're light weight, but I've put crampons on them to get through ice and snow in the spring mountains.

Lots of good stuff out there.
Is it September yet?!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
My fav by far is the Asolo TP535, all leather, non GT so they breathe, and still are quite waterproof. I find if a boot is too long wearing  it tends to be noisy and slippery.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
Oakley's. I have had my tactical oakley's since fall of 2006.  They made it through lots of miles in Iraq.  They made it through bridgeport mountain training.  They aren't waterproof, but I absolutely love'em. There still going strong.  I wish that I could replace the soles because they are finally wearing out.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
I have had good luck with Danners and I have the same problem with the width.I can't wear their regular's but they come in a wide.That is what I have to use.If you haven't already,you should try the wide.I also have a pair of Asolo's that have been real good.

I have been hearing so much good stuff about Kennetrek that they are definitely going to be my next boot.

Offline Jeff Romans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 12:20:00 PM »
I'm currently breaking in a pair of Danner 453 GTX's.  So far they have been handling the snow and mud here in Montana just fine.  Took a bow hike yesterday in the Beartooth Mountains and theTFX soles seem to be stout and grippy.  No problems with leakage up to this point.  They are an all leather boot and they are requiring a decent break in period.  So far so good.
Tight lines and shoot straight

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©